150th Anniversay of Gettysburg (1 Viewer)

CSPAN 3 is running a number of Gettysburg related programs today. Gettysburg Times summary of the events of June 30, 1863:

Early on the morning of June 30, 1863, Union cavalry General John Buford rode into the crossroads town of Gettysburg with two brigades of horseman numbering approximately 3,000 troopers. He was joyously received by the local citizens, who had less enthusiastically hosted Confederate General Jubal Early's infantry on June 26. "Men, women and children crowded the sidewalks and vied with each in demonstrations of joyous welcome." General Buford established his headquarters at the Eagle Hotel, the current site of a convenience store at Chambersburg and Washington Streets.

West of Gettysburg, in Cashtown, General A.P. Hill positioned his Confederate infantry corps. Generally, cavalry preceded infantry on scouting missions, but in this instance, General J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry was elsewhere. Therefore, J. Johnston Pettigrew's brigade of approximately 2,700 North Carolinians had to conduct a scouting mission towards Gettysburg on the Chambersburg Pike. Pettigrew's commander, General Henry Heth, had warned him that the town might be defended by a "home guard," which he would have no trouble driving off. However, should he meet troops capable of resistance he was "not to bring on an engagement."
Thanks for the tip off on C-Span 3. Just turned it on.^&cool -- Al

Took a spin down there yesterday. Although more traffic than usual. Not too bad. Downtown is a mess. But it is always like that. They have flagger force out there around the peach orchard. So I figure once the 1st hits. They will have flagger force directing traffic. I have decided to pick a place to park and just walk and walk and walk and take plenty of water. :) Going to be hot! Can't wait for Longstreets assault walk on the 3rd! Brad

Live coverage all day. I think the main event is tonight around 8. Beats dealing with the traffic, heat and dreaded afternoon thunderstorms. You can watch online as well:

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/

Thanks for reminding me Doug about CSpan's coverage, this is great.

Watching Brooks Simpson speak right now, he's not a big fan of Chamberlain; he claims the LEFT flank of Little Round Top was actually more important than the right.

He also had a great line about Stuart "Should he have attacked on the 3rd?".........."Well, should the Red Sox have replaced Bill Buckner?"..............."Should the Yankees have signed ARod?"

He also had a great line about the Picketts Charge Walk they are doing on the 3rd, he said "I am curious to see how many people will be on the Confederate side and doing the walk vs how many will be standing on the Union side at the angle; I know where I'll be STANDING......."......so there you go.

Took a spin down there yesterday. Although more traffic than usual. Not too bad. Downtown is a mess. But it is always like that. They have flagger force out there around the peach orchard. So I figure once the 1st hits. They will have flagger force directing traffic. I have decided to pick a place to park and just walk and walk and walk and take plenty of water. :) Going to be hot! Can't wait for Longstreets assault walk on the 3rd! Brad

Good for you, a once in a lifetime event.

I can't for the life of me picture where everyone is going to park, the visitors center parking lot and the old parking lot are probably packed.

Where is everyone taking part in the Picketts Charge walk going to park; my guess is there will be 3 or 4 times as many people wanting to walk from the Confederate side vs those wanting to stand on the Union side.

Have a great time.

Brooks is a huge sports fan - Yankees and Islanders - so it's not surprising he would say that.

On the schedule for tonight:

Musical Prelude: 7:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Ceremony: 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Luminaries at the Soldiers’ National Cemetery: 9 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

This event will feature live music by the United States Military Academy Orchestra, a
performance of the National Anthem by country music artist Trace Adkins, a keynote
address by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, and “Voices of History,” a dramatic
reading of eyewitness accounts written by soldiers and citizens swept into the events
of the battle and its tragic aftermath. The ceremony will end with a procession to the
Soldiers’ National Cemetery to see luminaries marking each of the more than 3,500
graves of soldiers killed in the battle of Gettysburg. Sponsored by Gettysburg National
Military Park and the Gettysburg Foundation, this event is free to the public.
Location: On the lawn near Meade’s Headquarters at Gettysburg National Military Park.

Live coverage all day. I think the main event is tonight around 8. Beats dealing with the traffic, heat and dreaded afternoon thunderstorms. You can watch online as well:

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/
Been watching this all day and it has been very interesting and informative. Everyone of the speakers has been worth listening to. ACW on one TV and baseball on the other. A great day. :salute:: -- Al

Been watching this all day and it has been very interesting and informative. Everyone of the speakers has been worth listening to. ACW on one TV and baseball on the other. A great day. :salute:: -- Al

I caught several of them as well. The last one on Chamberlain was particularly interesting. Shaara is scheduled to be on at 6:15. Hopefully they are not impacted tonight by our daily thunderstorms. Heavy rain in the forecast for the next couple of days.

I caught several of them as well. The last one on Chamberlain was particularly interesting. Shaara is scheduled to be on at 6:15. Hopefully they are not impacted tonight by our daily thunderstorms. Heavy rain in the forecast for the next couple of days.
Yeah, you can see the heavy clouds as the camera pans around as they interview Hartwig. Wouldn't want to get caught on the open field.{sm2} -- Al

Yeah, you can see the heavy clouds as the camera pans around as they interview Hartwig. Wouldn't want to get caught on the open field.{sm2} -- Al

I may have jinxed them. A huge line of storms moving directly into the area. Maybe they can have a naval reenactment. :wink2:

What I wouldn't give to be in the wheatfield walk on the 3rd! Have fun you guys and thanks for all the posts^&cool

Rob

The cannons are booming this morning on Seminary Ridge.

The cannons are booming this morning on Seminary Ridge.

Seriously, you are making me drool. I had always wanted to be there for this event but couldn't pull it off this year. I will just picture the booming cannons in my mind.

Seriously, you are making me drool. I had always wanted to be there for this event but couldn't pull it off this year. I will just picture the booming cannons in my mind.

I just did a walk through on Seminary Ridge and down to the McPherson barn. A big crowd but not unmanageable. They opened the new Seminary Museum. Bands, tents, reenactors. I took some pictures that I will post later today. I was standing at Reynold's memorial almost 150 years to the minute that he went down. Very impressed by the tourists who are respectful, not yaking on cell phones and generally well informed.

Thought I'd include in this thread a calendar that would commemorate The Battle of Gettysburg along withbest wishes for all during the coming month. By the way our Richard Walker took part in Picett's Charge yesterday while visiting Gettyburg yesterday............The Lt.

calendara4e5abe5a3d5cd031a99c5eadfa0bfd80707d9b3_zps068fe33e.jpg

Good for you, a once in a lifetime event.

I can't for the life of me picture where everyone is going to park, the visitors center parking lot and the old parking lot are probably packed.

Where is everyone taking part in the Picketts Charge walk going to park; my guess is there will be 3 or 4 times as many people wanting to walk from the Confederate side vs those wanting to stand on the Union side.

Have a great time.

I am going to find the first spot to part and walk and walk! :) I did a test run on Saturday and Figure it will be about a 2 mile walk to Picketts area. I hope the 6 am walk on July 2nd won't be bad. Really looking forward to the peach orchard walk.

I have seen/done some pretty neat things in my life but one of the most I will remember is the day I got to see my Great-Great Grandfathers Battleflag at the Confederate Museum in Richmond.

I can only imagine his thoughts as he took this Flag into battle 150 years ago this week, it was almost errie to think what this Flag saw those few days, death, injuries, the loss of a battle.

I wasn't suppose to touch the flag but my wife distracted the care taker with a few questions about the battle and I rubbed the very end corner of it and to actually touch a piece of history that my ancestor fought under was indeed something I will never forget...Sammy

065.jpg

And here I was thinking how lucky I am to live about four hours from the WW1 battlefields in France, but you guys living in or near Gettysburg have got it sweet! Man I would love to hear those cannons and walk that wheat field tomorrow .

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back