1916: return to the field dressing station (1 Viewer)

Manila soldier

Corporal
Hi guys.......... 1st July 1916....the British armies are shattered at the Somme.....

IMG_2494 pano.JPEG

IMG_2495.JPEG

IMG_2501.JPEG

best
Andrew
:salute::

Just Amazing Andrew! A poignant portrayal of one of the most brutal, stupid and unnecessary moments in the history of warfare. Two years into the war, faced with some of the worst ground for an attack imaginable, Douglas Haig, using the same tactics he’s used since 1914, sends a rolling barrage and then orders those poor brave boys over the top. If I remember correctly the British loose more men killed in that attack then the United States lost in the entire Vietnam War, and gain next to no ground. Haig, to save his job, declared it a great victory and had all the church bells rung in Britain. It’s enough to make you weep.

Just Amazing Andrew! A poignant portrayal of one of the most brutal, stupid and unnecessary moments in the history of warfare. Two years into the war, faced with some of the worst ground for an attack imaginable, Douglas Haig, using the same tactics he’s used since 1914, sends a rolling barrage and then orders those poor brave boys over the top. If I remember correctly the British loose more men killed in that attack then the United States lost in the entire Vietnam War, and gain next to no ground. Haig, to save his job, declared it a great victory and had all the church bells rung in Britain. It’s enough to make you weep.

Thanks Louis ,

Yes 60,000 casualties in the first 3 days if i remember correctly, just narrowly exceeding the Vietnam total.
The Somme remains a horrid scar.

I recommend "Haig's Command" by Denis Winter. Its a controversial work as it sees a lot of conspiracy.
I was lucky enough to have Denis as my head of history at school in the early 80s, and he uncovered extensive evidence of post event record tampering
in the british records by going to the Australian national archives while on a research fellowship at the australian national university Canberra.
The British sensor did not get to the colonial army records with the same efficiency as the British records, while trying to massage how bad the casualties were.

best
Andrew

Brilliant diorama and photos Andrew, truely amazing ! :salute:::salute:::salute::

Steve

Great shots and diorama, thanks for sharing. Is that a JGM barn/field station by any chance?

Louis, if you haven't already read it, get ahold of Martin Middlebrook's "First Day on the Somme". It is brilliant and it will raise the points that you are concerned about. It follows select characters and units and I feel one of the best books on WW1 I have ever read. -- Al

Great set ups and photos Andrew! I really like that you included several close ups as well. Well done.

Awesome compositional work and excellent photos! Really exceptional, thank you for sharing- Joe

Nice shots Andrew, 1914-18 is your thing I see
Guy:smile2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back