2008 New York Toy Soldier Symposium (1 Viewer)

Co-Sponsor Mark Hoffman and Jim Hillestad of the Toy Soldier Museum in the Pocanos, Pennsylvania, have cooked up an idea for another big event on Sunday.

For those of you not familiar with Jim's Museum, he has an entire two story house filled with at least 25,000 metal toy soldiers by virtually every maker, in virtually every style, along with the best private collection of military memorabelia it has ever been my good fortune to see in person. Jim has offered to host an open house at his museum Sunday afternoon.

Mark has offered to (at his expense) charter a luxury coach 49 man bus, change lunch at his collection to brunch, and bus us all down to Jim's for an open house, then back to New York by Sunday afternoon in time for our traditional farewell meal at the Wollenski Grill.

Those of you who have RSVP'd, please post whether or not you would like to go on this excursion ASAP, so we can allow Mark and Jim to make the arrangements.

Glad to hear that all's going well Louis and I'm sure it'll be a great time for all who attend. Like you it's nice knowing Carlos is attending and hopefully he'll have is camera on hand along with others to share the event with us........The Lt.

Everyone's favorite war correspondent Kevin (Panda1gen) Elliott is coming (and staying a while after to do some more photography for the book)!

Co-Sponsor Mark Hoffman and Jim Hillestad of the Toy Soldier Museum in the Pocanos, Pennsylvania, have cooked up an idea for another big event on Sunday.

For those of you not familiar with Jim's Museum, he has an entire two story house filled with at least 25,000 metal toy soldiers by virtually every maker, in virtually every style, along with the best private collection of military memorabelia it has ever been my good fortune to see in person. Jim has offered to host an open house at his museum Sunday afternoon.

Mark has offered to (at his expense) charter a luxury coach 49 man bus, change lunch at his collection to brunch, and bus us all down to Jim's for an open house, then back to New York by Sunday afternoon in time for our traditional farewell meal at the Wollenski Grill.

Those of you who have RSVP'd, please post whether or not you would like to go on this excursion ASAP, so we can allow Mark and Jim to make the arrangements.
Dear Louis,
I have a 5:35 p.m. flight out of JFK. Allowing time to get through security, do I have enough time to go to Jim's Museum?:confused:

Everyone's favorite war correspondent Kevin (Panda1gen) Elliott is coming (and staying a while after to do some more photography for the book)!

Looks like we've a double bonus with to of the finest photographers attending. Good loads of pictures please of all of the events....The Lt.

Dear Louis,
I have a 5:35 p.m. flight out of JFK. Allowing time to get through security, do I have enough time to go to Jim's Museum?:confused:

Just for such an emergency I am planning to drive my Jeep Commander down to Jim's. Then, if anyone needs to get back to NYC early, I can drive them. We were planning on the bus leaving Jim's around 2:00, and arriving back in NYC at 3:30. I can leave a half an hour early and get you to the airport in time.

Looks like we've a double bonus with to of the finest photographers attending. Good loads of pictures please of all of the events....The Lt.

Lt.,

So why don't you come? Maine to NYC is not that long a haul, and we would love to have you join us!

Tony Ciccarello of the Toy Soldier gallery and Rick Schuster will be joining us for the Symposium.

Lt.,

So why don't you come? Maine to NYC is not that long a haul, and we would love to have you join us!

Louis thanks for the invite and as much as I would love to join you all I'm currently not in a position to do so. Hoping all goes as planned with no snags and be sure to take some time for yourself to enjoy the get together....Joe

Joe,

I am sorry you can't make it this year, but keep us in mind for future March's - I would love to meet you in person.

Guys,

We need those coming to give us a heads up on the Sunday event - so far exactly 4 (thanks Brad, Ron, Tom and Steven) attendees have responded about the field trip. Please let me know what the rest of you think, so Mark and Jim Hillestad can make the arrangements.

A couple of more folks have indicated an interest in the Sunday event, but its still less than ten people. Mark needs to know if its a go or not soon, so please, if you are interested in the proposed excusion to Jim Hillestad's museum on Sunday, let me know by February 1st at the latest.

As less than 10 people indicated an interest in the field trip to Jim Hillestad's Toy Soldier museum, the trip has been cancelled, and we will be keeping the original Sunday schedule (tour of Mark Hoffman's collection with lunch from the Carnegie Deli, followed by farewell meal at the Wollenski Grill).

As less than 10 people indicated an interest in the field trip to Jim Hillestad's Toy Soldier museum, the trip has been cancelled, and we will be keeping the original Sunday schedule (tour of Mark Hoffman's collection with lunch from the Carnegie Deli, followed by farewell meal at the Wollenski Grill).

Thats a shame - understandable - but a shame. :(

I have never been to Jim's museum and was looking forward to it. Oh well - I guess we will try for visit at another time.

Sorry guys. It just wasn't worth having Jim prepare a big open house and booking a charter bus for 8 people. Maybe we can arrange an open house at Jim's another time.

Looks like Evilchuck, Jeff and Morgan will all be joining us as well. This is shaping up to be one of the biggest Symposia yet!

Andy (Pugio) and his daughter are coming to my museum on Saturday. We are in the mid-30's for Saturday's event!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back