2018 Baseball season (12 Viewers)

Al:

I love that stat, I had never heard of it until this year.

On the left coast Bumgarner is making his 2018 debut. For now his return is enough but a win would be nice too.

-Jason
Watching it as I type this. Giants have done a heck of a job managing to stay in the race and being at .500 without Bums. -- Al

Watching it as I type this. Giants have done a heck of a job managing to stay in the race and being at .500 without Bums. -- Al

Bumgarner was the tough luck loser, going 6 innings and giving up 2 earned runs. Again, a win would have been great but just seeing him pitch was enough of a victory for me.

The ED Loser Bowl starts tomorrow: Orioles vs Mets.

How low can you go!

And the winner of the Losers Bowl is the Orioles.

How low can you go? Mets are still trying to sink farther.

Very close games, great pitching on both sides, but offensive struggles for both teams were obvious. Tough break for Wheeler as he outpitched Bundy. First 1-0 win for the O's since last Sept. 1. -- Al

Yup, my boys are making their move!!! Look out AL East here we come!!! Let's go O's!!!......can y'all hear me laughing!!??? :)

Yup, my boys are making their move!!! Look out AL East here we come!!! Let's go O's!!!......can y'all hear me laughing!!??? :)
The O's have done an unequaled job of lulling the rest of the AL East into a false sense of security. Now we make our move...to AAA?::tongue: -- Al

I see the Rangers have released Tim Lincecum. Bummer. Maybe someone will pick him up. -- Al

AAA???? that's pushing it Al!!..:)
Maybe I'm am a little optimistic...but, the O's only need to go 62-40 in their remaining games to reach .500 on the year, so 72-30 should get them in the playoffs, and 82-20 might get them the AL East title. Yes, Virginia, I do believe in Santa Claus...:rolleyes2: -- Al

Maybe I'm am a little optimistic...but, the O's only need to go 62-40 in their remaining games to reach .500 on the year, so 72-30 should get them in the playoffs, and 82-20 might get them the AL East title. Yes, Virginia, I do believe in Santa Claus...:rolleyes2: -- Al

I'm leaning the other way!!! Just over a month left to the break which means only 4 months left to this disaster comes to a close.

You boys can stop drinking the kool aid or having wet dreams. You don’t get to play the Mets enough.

Noticed Bartolo Colon just turned 45. He is in a position to become the all-time winningest Hispanic pitcher in MLB history. Colon is in his 21st season, and has a career record of 242-178 with a 4.04 ERA. He currently trails 2 men, Dennis Martinez who accumulated a 245-193 record with a 3.70 ERA over 23 years, and HoFer Juan Marichal, who went 243-142 with a 2.89 ERA over 16 seasons. So, 4 more wins gives Colon the mantle, and given the pitching problems in Texas, Colon should have plenty of chances to win the 4 games needed. He is in heady company with his fellow Dominican Juan Marichal. Marichal won 20 or more games 6 times, had 244 complete games and 52 shutouts, as well as being the leading winner in MLB during the 1960's, a decade that included such legends as Koufax and Gibson. Although Martinez never won 20 games, he managed to complete 122 games, throw 30 shutouts, and pitch 4000 innings, not too shabby. Colon has won 20 or more twice, has 13 shutouts and pitched 3372 innings to date, impressive totals. Colon won't make the HoF, and Martinez certainly isn't, but Colon has the chance to make his mark alongside of Martinez and Marichal, even though Martinez and Colon aren't the pitchers Marichal was. Colon's career marks are nothing to sneeze at. Happy Birthday, Bartolo. -- Al
Colon tied Marichal's victory total of 243 last night in an 8-2 win over the Athletics. Colon squared his season record at 3-3 with a 4.16 ERA. Next he takes aim at Martinez's 245 wins. -- Al

ESPN has an interesting article on the O's Chris Davis and just how bad his season is. Pretty bad as it turns out, being on pace to possibly be the worst season ever by a qualified player. At his current pace, his WAR would rank last out of 81,892 qualified players since 1901. That's pretty impressive. In 55 games and 198 AB's, Davis is hitting just .152, with 4 Hr's and 15 RBI's. He has only scored 9 runs and has fanned 81 times (about 40% of his AB's). Worst of all is that the O's still owe him 4 years @ $23 mil per year. As the article points out, if the O's lose Machado over lack of money to sign him, the Davis contract is the reason. Hindsight is 20/20. Davis was signed to that 7 year contract in 2016 after hitting 159 Hr's for the O's the previous 4 seasons. Seemed like a good idea at the time... -- Al

I see that the Angels have had to put Ohtani on the 10 day DL with a strained UCL. ESPN says it will be 3 weeks before they re-evaluate him. Injuries suck and no one is immune. -- Al

Familia to the DL. This team must be snakebit.
It never just rains, it pours. This AM, the MLB Channel was also doing a lot of yapping about how the Mets need to move DeGrom and Syndergaard and rebuild with all they could get from such trades.:rolleyes2: -- Al

It’s been pouring for over two years {eek3} and it’s still raining.

I know that trading the big two are burning up the airwaves everywhere but it’s extremely unlikely to happen. If the present group of hitters don’t work out, they will bring in new players next year.

They have brought back the old GM, Omar Minaya, to work on the minor leagues and scouting. They are revamping the minor league system and minor league coaching but it’s going to take a few years to see results. If they had MLB ready players, they’d bring them up. They just don’t, which is why they’ve signed older players, like Gonzalez, who is not very good anymore.

ESPN has an interesting article on the O's Chris Davis and just how bad his season is. Pretty bad as it turns out, being on pace to possibly be the worst season ever by a qualified player. At his current pace, his WAR would rank last out of 81,892 qualified players since 1901. That's pretty impressive. In 55 games and 198 AB's, Davis is hitting just .152, with 4 Hr's and 15 RBI's. He has only scored 9 runs and has fanned 81 times (about 40% of his AB's). Worst of all is that the O's still owe him 4 years @ $23 mil per year. As the article points out, if the O's lose Machado over lack of money to sign him, the Davis contract is the reason. Hindsight is 20/20. Davis was signed to that 7 year contract in 2016 after hitting 159 Hr's for the O's the previous 4 seasons. Seemed like a good idea at the time... -- Al

The players and their agents can whine all they want about this past off-seasons lack of big contracts but you don't need to look any further than Davis to see why the market has a become a "buyer beware" kind of place.

Stat O' the Day: Brooks Robinson, the O's HoF 3rd baseman, had the only RBI in a 1-0 game ten times. Ted Williams is next with 9. -- Al

Baseball contracts are a disgrace, imagine being on the hook for this bum for another 4/92 million? You should be able to cut a guy and walk away, baseball contracts should be structured like football ones, you are only on the hook for the signing bonus, backload the contract and if the guy is a stiff down the road, just cut him.

Davis should wear a mask for that type of robbery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back