2019 Baseball season (5 Viewers)

The Twins should move back to Washington and call themselves the Generals.

A grand slam on top of it all; let me guess, it was a 270 bomb to right field, correct?

Gashouse Gorillas/Astors is going to be a great world series.

I think the Yankees used to have their way with them they were the Senators. After all the play D@mn Yankees is about the Senators.

Have been very impressed with the Astros starting pitchers, as have the Rays. I think the NYY's are in trouble even as they roll over the Twins. Verlander and Cole have been untouchable. If Greinke does half as well, how do even the Bombers expect to score? Given that the games must be played and October baseball is wildly unpredictable (in most cases), I still don't see NY beating Houston if the Terrible Trio keep it together. Houston has just been most impressive. One wonders what chance the Rays and Twins thought they actually had. -- Al

Have been very impressed with the Astros starting pitchers, as have the Rays. I think the NYY's are in trouble even as they roll over the Twins. Verlander and Cole have been untouchable. If Greinke does half as well, how do even the Bombers expect to score? Given that the games must be played and October baseball is wildly unpredictable (in most cases), I still don't see NY beating Houston if the Terrible Trio keep it together. Houston has just been most impressive. One wonders what chance the Rays and Twins thought they actually had. -- Al

The bigger question is how many fans do the Rays draw down 0-2 on a Monday at 1 PM?

As long as the game is over by 4:00pm and the fans can get to the early special at Sizzlers, they'll turn out.

I have this sinking feeling in the ALCS Verlander and Cole are going to be lights out, but the gashouse gorillas will work counts, hang around and get to that Astors bullpen, it is their one weak link...……………….I really hope I am wrong, but we'll see...………………...

Have been very impressed with the Astros starting pitchers, as have the Rays. I think the NYY's are in trouble even as they roll over the Twins. Verlander and Cole have been untouchable. If Greinke does half as well, how do even the Bombers expect to score?

So, I guess we should just call of the ALCS :wink2:Bye Yankees, you had a nice season but we need to get ready for the World Series :salute::

As George said, the bullpen. However, when I look at the stats the Astros pen was overall better than the Yankee pen. Nonetheless, they found a way to win 100 plus games.

Verlander and Cole are both susceptible to giving up home runs...
especially in early innings...
I think it's because they throw so many pitches in the strike zone...
they serve up a lot of potential dingers...

Verlander is #2 in the AL with 36 long balls...
Cole is #14 with 29...

luckily for Astro's fans...
their WHIP's are minimal...
0.80 and 0.89 respectively...
so when someone goes the yard on them...
there are rarely a lot of base runners...
limiting the damage...

so far...
their offense has been enough to win...
but nothing dynamic...
Springer and Brantley are a combined 1-16...
those are 2 bats that the Astros have counted on all year...

should be a good match up for game #3...
Charlie Morton and Zach Grienke...

I really hope Grienke wins tomorrow...
so maybe they can rest everyone and hopefully stay with a 3 man rotation for now...

like George said...
the bullpen is suspect...
Osuna tried his best to blow the save last night...
loading the bases twice in the 9th...
and giving up 1 run...
he had me biting my fingernails and groaning...
before Harris came in and got the save...

Like it's said, the games have to be played. As impressed as I am with the Houston pitching, I can't help but hark back to the Braves pitching staff of the 1990's when Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Wohlers, and gang won division title after division title, 5 pennants, and yet only won 1 WS title. Hof pitching staff that almost always failed at the crucial moment. It can happen. I don't see Verlander, Cole, and Greinke failing, but the games do have to be played.:wink2: -- Al

Brad...
that link is not working...
I would like to read the story...
can you check it please?

As far as loaded teams in my lifetime, I'll go with 75 Reds, 86 Mets, 98 Gashouse Gorillas, 2018 Red Sox and 2019 Astors as the five best.

Naturally the Red Sox played two of those teams in the World Series and lost...………...:rolleyes2:

Like it's said, the games have to be played. As impressed as I am with the Houston pitching, I can't help but hark back to the Braves pitching staff of the 1990's when Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Wohlers, and gang won division title after division title, 5 pennants, and yet only won 1 WS title. Hof pitching staff that almost always failed at the crucial moment. It can happen. I don't see Verlander, Cole, and Greinke failing, but the games do have to be played.:wink2: -- Al

I doubt there was a better staff than that, including Steve Avery. The late 80s Mets rotation was pretty good too (although not in that class), Gooden, Ojeda, Darling, Sid Fernandez and from 88 on, David Cone, but just one World Series and one division title. It's not easy to win a title and it's even harder now than then.

Brad...
good article...
thank you...
what the author didn't mention...
or wasn't aware of...
while he says the Astros have became the first team ever whose hitters had the fewest strikeouts in the majors...
they lead the league in hitting into double plays...
by quite a margin I believe...
so maybe they didn't strike out...
but they grounded into so many double plays it made my head spin some nights...

I doubt there was a better staff than that, including Steve Avery. The late 80s Mets rotation was pretty good too (although not in that class), Gooden, Ojeda, Darling, Sid Fernandez and from 88 on, David Cone, but just one World Series and one division title. It's not easy to win a title and it's even harder now than then.
I remember Big Sid. Kind of flew under the radar but anyone with a lifetime ERA of 3.36 could pitch. I also liked Darling. The mitt I had to play and coach baseball with my boys was a Darling signature mitt.^&grin -- Al

Those were halcyon days for Braves fans. I remember them fondly - and with frustration at not winning more WS titles.

The current team seems a bit more balanced with greater offensive capabilities, albeit without the stellar pitching. Perhaps also more fun to watch, too.

good start Al...
especially against Ryu...
hope Sanchez pitches the game of his lfe...
good luck...

Braves made a huge comeback to win against the Cards in Game 3. Down 1-0 through 8.2 innings, then scored 3 runs with 2 out. A very impressively pitched game on both sides until the almost predictable bullpen meltdown, which along with all the Hrs, seems to be the theme for this season. I can't recall ever seeing so many blown saves all across baseball. Anyway, it was a heck of a win for the Braves. -- Al

Braves made a huge comeback to win against the Cards in Game 3. Down 1-0 through 8.2 innings, then scored 3 runs with 2 out. A very impressively pitched game on both sides until the almost predictable bullpen meltdown, which along with all the Hrs, seems to be the theme for this season. I can't recall ever seeing so many blown saves all across baseball. Anyway, it was a heck of a win for the Braves. -- Al

In previous years, many closers seemed to come up short. I don’t want to use the word “exposed” because it’s a long season and players tire. Although the most recent example is the Dodgers’ closer in 2017, there are many other years where normally reliable closers didn’t perform up to their capabilities.

Well, there you go. Martinez outsmarts himself by trying to fix what ain't broke...he replaces Sanchez after 5 when he was doing well and had another inning in him , at least. Another bullpen meltdown for the Nats and now they are down 8-2. Martinez doesn't look like he's ever going to learn to ride his starting pitchers while they are going good. He's been Capt. Quick Hook for 2 seasons now. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back