2019 Baseball season (1 Viewer)

And then on top of that Kendrick cost them a potential big inning.

And then on top of that Kendrick cost them a potential big inning.
Yep. Kendrick was one of our best players all season but he has hurt us so far in the post-season. Maybe he will come around. Nats really need him to play well. -- Al

Well, there you go. Martinez outsmarts himself by trying to fix what ain't broke...he replaces Sanchez after 5 when he was doing well and had another inning in him , at least. Another bullpen meltdown for the Nats and now they are down 8-2. Martinez doesn't look like he's ever going to learn to ride his starting pitchers while they are going good. He's been Capt. Quick Hook for 2 seasons now. -- Al

Hopefully, the fact that the Nationals won the wild card game won’t prevent them from firing the worst manager in the major leagues. God, Dave Martinez makes Grady Little and Don Zimmer look good.

Between Dave Martinez and Matt Williams, you could argue the Nats have had two of the worst managers this century. Bobby Valentine and the crazy guy who managed the Reds a few years ago are other strong candidates.

Add another 50 years to their history and they are the NL version of the Cleveland Indians.

Hopefully, the fact that the Nationals won the wild card game won’t prevent them from firing the worst manager in the major leagues. God, Dave Martinez makes Grady Little and Don Zimmer look good.

Between Dave Martinez and Matt Williams, you could argue the Nats have had two of the worst managers this century. Bobby Valentine and the crazy guy who managed the Reds a few years ago are other strong candidates.

Add another 50 years to their history and they are the NL version of the Cleveland Indians.

Sorry, but the worst manager this year has already been fired.

Disagree about Bobby. He had mostly winning seasons with the Rangers (although an overall losing record) but had a very good record with the Mets and they won the WC and went to the WS with him. He shouldn't have come back with the Red Sox. His honesty and arrogance didn't make a lot of friends but we loved him as the Mets manager.

I don’t know for sure but haven’t most MLB managers long since gone away from managing via the gut and toward statistically based decision making? Ie when a pitcher hits a certain number of pitches, he’s gone. Or lefty vs righty. Or what so and so has done historically on Tuesdays in September when facing guys with last names that start with a B.

I’m not defending anybody in particular. I just thought most managers have now abdicated much of the game day decision making to the stats nerds.

I don’t know for sure but haven’t most MLB managers long since gone away from managing via the gut and toward statistically based decision making? Ie when a pitcher hits a certain number of pitches, he’s gone. Or lefty vs righty. Or what so and so has done historically on Tuesdays in September when facing guys with last names that start with a B.

I’m not defending anybody in particular. I just thought most managers have now abdicated much of the game day decision making to the stats nerds.

That seems to be the trend with the younger managers who have little or no experience managing on any level.

What got you there is using your bullpen, this trend of using starters as relievers is getting out of hand, they are not used to that roll, why stick them into a role they are not used to, that guy got shelled, he was responsible for 7 runs in that half inning.

Ballgame.

The Dodgers are the better team. The Nats have put up a good fight and given themselves a chance but they are just not as good. Hard to manage a team out of that situation. In particular, the Nats bullpen is atrocious. They rolled the dice and came up snake eyes last night. Best team usually wins a series unless there are some real flukes. It is certainly not impossible that you get a couple of red hot pitchers that shut down an opposing team and then you get lucky in a short series, but the Nats are going to need the baseball gods to intervene to win this series.

The Dodgers are the better team. The Nats have put up a good fight and given themselves a chance but they are just not as good. Hard to manage a team out of that situation. In particular, the Nats bullpen is atrocious. They rolled the dice and came up snake eyes last night. Best team usually wins a series unless there are some real flukes. It is certainly not impossible that you get a couple of red hot pitchers that shut down an opposing team and then you get lucky in a short series, but the Nats are going to need the baseball gods to intervene to win this series.
And everyone knows the baseball gods are on the side of the good bullpens...:wink2: -- Al

I caught Joe Kelly's act last night; holy smokes.

Walk, walk, base hit, wild pitch, walk, he gets yanked.

Thank God he got hot in the playoffs last year as that outing was typical of his during his tenure with the Red Sox, he throws absolute gas but has no clue where it's going.

Thanks for last year Joe, best of luck from here on out...……………...

I caught Joe Kelly's act last night; holy smokes.

Walk, walk, base hit, wild pitch, walk, he gets yanked.

Thank God he got hot in the playoffs last year as that outing was typical of his during his tenure with the Red Sox, he throws absolute gas but has no clue where it's going.

Thanks for last year Joe, best of luck from here on out...……………...

I think he was also the Zodiac killer. A great resemblance anyway. He reminded me last night of the Charlie Sheen character in whatever baseball movie that was back when Charlie had a career.

I think he was also the Zodiac killer. A great resemblance anyway. He reminded me last night of the Charlie Sheen character in whatever baseball movie that was back when Charlie had a career.

He was "wild thing" in Major League.

"Don't feel bad, that home run wouldn't have made it out of a lot of parks"
"Name one"
"Yellowstone"

Grienke is getting pummeled!
The result here just proves again that post-season pitching is a different animal than the marathon of the regular season. This generation of baseball players has some fanatastic pitchers who rack up huge regular season numbers yet fall short in the post-season. Take for example Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Zack Greinke, and David Price, all huge winners with big numbers during the regular season. Their post-season performances, to date, leave a lot to be desired. Kershaw is 9-11 with a 4.33 ERA, Scherzer is 4-5 with a 3.78 ERA, Price is 5-9 with a 4.62 ERA, and Greinke is 3-5 with a 4.46 ERA. All losing records and all with ERA's in excess of their career ERA's. Obviously the level of competition has a lot to do with these numbers and they certainly aren't alone in having less than stellar post-season numbers. Using, once again, the Braves pitchers of the 90's, two Hofer's, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine, they racked up HoF numbers yet in the post-season Maddux was only 11-14 with a 3.27 ERA and Glavine was 14-16 with a 3.30 ERA. Maddux's post-season ERA is higher than his career ERA, though not by much, while Glavine's post-season ERA is actually lower than his career number. Both pitched to good ERA's yet lost more often than they won, again an indication of the much higher level of competition in the playoffs. I have no real point here other than to point out that even the best pitchers are subject to the vagaries of playoff baseball and a bit of luck can make a huge difference, one way or the other. -- Al

Verlander tomorrow on three days rest.

So the Gashouse Gorillas win and they aren't even playing in this series; if Verlander gets the win tomorrow, they get Cole in games 1, 4 and 7, Greinke in 2 and 6, Verlander in 3 and 6.

If the Doofin Rays somehow force a game 5, Cole goes in that game and the whole rotation is out of whack, for the ALCS.

This is the Gashouse Gorillas year, feeling it in my bones.

Excuse me while I put all sharp objects away now.

Verlander tomorrow on three days rest.

So the Gashouse Gorillas win and they aren't even playing in this series; if Verlander gets the win tomorrow, they get Cole in games 1, 4 and 7, Greinke in 2 and 6, Verlander in 3 and 6.

If the Doofin Rays somehow force a game 5, Cole goes in that game and the whole rotation is out of whack, for the ALCS.

This is the Gashouse Gorillas year, feeling it in my bones.

Excuse me while I put all sharp objects away now.

Pitching him on short rest smacks of desperation to me. If they go with their normal rotation and the Rays should win tomorrow, you would have had Verlander on regular rest on Thursday.

Pitching him on short rest smacks of desperation to me. If they go with their normal rotation and the Rays should win tomorrow, you would have had Verlander on regular rest on Thursday.

Verlander has never, as in ever gone on three days rest.

Desperation is right.

Stupid is more like it.

Hope Scherzer takes that 1st inning gopher ball and learns from it, ie., Strasburg and Sanchez junk-balled the Dodgers to death. The Dodgers love fastballs so Scherzer will have to adjust with more off-speed stuff or the Nats season will end in DC again. -- Al

Verlander is definitely listed as the scheduled pitcher tomorrow...
a few days ago...they had Jose Urquidy listed to start tomorrow...
I think it's a mistake to play Verlander so soon...
they are panicking...

if they lose tomorrow...
then that puts Cole on short rest...
but at least they will be at home for that game...
where they are very good if it goes to 5...

since they used Miley today...
I would still use Urquiday...
Castillo is a very good pitcher...
I wouldn't change the rotation...
Grienke just didn't have his usual stuff today...
I'm not panicking yet...
but what do I know...^&grin

I do know their bats have gone silent...
TB has now outscored them 13-12 in 3 games...
Brantley and Springer are now 2-25 on combined hitting in the playoffs...
Springer himself is 0-13...

2-25...Jesus...what a collapse!
that is really hurting them...
I think even I could get a squirrely blooper hit in 25 at bats...

I'm not panicking yet...
why do I keep saying that?...:rolleyes2:

Verlander is definitely listed as the scheduled pitcher tomorrow...
a few days ago...they had Jose Urquidy listed to start tomorrow...
I think it's a mistake to play Verlander so soon...
they are panicking...

if they lose tomorrow...
then that puts Cole on short rest...
but at least they will be at home for that game...
where they are very good if it goes to 5...

since they used Miley today...
I would still use Urquiday...
Castillo is a very good pitcher...
I wouldn't change the rotation...
Grienke just didn't have his usual stuff today...
I'm not panicking yet...
but what do I know...^&grin

I do know their bats have gone silent...
TB has now outscored them 13-12 in 3 games...
Brantley and Springer are now 2-25 on combined hitting in the playoffs...
Springer himself is 0-13...

2-25...Jesus...what a collapse!
that is really hurting them...
I think even I could get a squirrely blooper hit in 25 at bats...

I'm not panicking yet...
why do I keep saying that?...:rolleyes2:

Baseball is an interesting game, sometimes four star players disappear in a series, they go 0-14, 2-16, sometimes two guys disappear, you often hear "And the Red Sox are 2-19 with RISP this series"...…….sometimes bats go cold with no explanation.

It can be maddening...……………….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back