2019 Baseball season (3 Viewers)

The Yankees have a first round bye, so it was nice of the Twins to play these 3 exhibition games with them to help them stay sharp for the next round. Maybe the Twins will get some of their autographs after the game.

Outscored 23-7.

Beyond embarrassing.

A joke is more like it.

I said they had to win that first game, just to get the bugaboo off their backs. They didn't and I knew it was over.

The Dodgers are pretty confident at home. If they fall behind and start tanking like last night, a different story but I would rate their chances at about 70-30 to win. A major choke if they lose though. Some commentator recently discussed why some baseball teams appear so much better in the regular season than playoffs. He chalked it up to depth being a decisive factor over a 162 game season in which there are so few days off. In the playoffs, depth is less of an issue and a lesser team can throw the kitchen sink at you. The Dodgers have won something like seven straight division titles now. They are a deep team but haven't been able to get in done in the playoffs. Guys like Kershaw, as great as he is, has never lifted his game in the playoffs.
It should be a great Game 5. Buehler stopped the Nats dead, and Strasburg was nearly as good against LA. Nats have to overcome their past playoff failures and the Dodgers need to fulfill their destiny. Plenty of pressure on both teams. Been a good series and regardless of who wins, the loser will have nothing to be ashamed of. I want to see a hard fought game, with a deserving winner, and nothing decided by a fluke play or bad call. -- Al

From the Yankees' sweep to the Nats and Dodgers playing a game 5, none of the series have surprised me so far.

In my opinion the best series to watch has been the Cardinals and Braves.

Right now, starting Verlander us looking like a bad decision. This just plays into the hands of the MFYs.

Too many pitches in the 1st inning. The rule of thumb is that an effective SP will throw 15 pitches per inning. He’s already twice that.

Looks like the Astros are joining the Dodgers on that hot seat, although I like Houston's chances a little better than LA's.

I've said this before and I'll say it again but Stu Sternberg and his staff do a great job putting teams together with the financial constraints they have.

Boils down to 3 winner take all games and each of the teams have forum fans, except maybe Tampa which only has about 7 total fans anyway. I wish us all good luck, knowing we can't all win and someone is going to be unhappy. Still, this is what MLB wanted and it's what they got. The series have been fun, if nerve-wracking for our forum members, all except Louis, that is.:wink2: So, here's to winning Game 5 for your team, whichever one it is.^&grin -- Al

Cole is scheduled to pitch Thursday...
he will be coming off 4 days rest...
so he should be rested well enough...

if he wins Game 5...
pitching a good game...
and as Verlander got the loss for Game 4...
does this effect the Cy Young voting at all?

most articles I have read...
have them as the favorites ...
does Verlander's last poor outing have enough clout to hurt his chances?

Cole is scheduled to pitch Thursday...
he will be coming off 4 days rest...
so he should be rested well enough...

if he wins Game 5...
pitching a good game...
and as Verlander got the loss for Game 4...
does this effect the Cy Young voting at all?

most articles I have read...
have them as the favorites ...
does Verlander's last poor outing have enough clout to hurt his chances?

Cy Young and other post season awards ballots need to be submitted before the playoffs begin so tonight will have no effect.

Cy Young and other post season awards ballots need to be submitted before the playoffs begin so tonight will have no effect.

Brad...you're up late...but thank you for the fast reply...I wasn't even sure where to start looking for an answer to this...this forum is the place to go for baseball questions...:wink2:

Starting Verlander didn't work out but I think it was the correct decision anyway. It was an experiment with the unknown, as Verlander had never started on 3 days rest, but it was worth the gamble to close out Tampa. If Verlander had thrown 6 innings of 2 hit ball, the decision to start him would be considered brilliant. Houston's option, Verlander or who, Miley? It was a no-brainer, worth the gamble. Cole will finish the job. Good luck to the Astros. I want to see the 2 best clubs in the AL go for the pennant. -- Al

Starting Verlander didn't work out but I think it was the correct decision anyway. It was an experiment with the unknown, as Verlander had never started on 3 days rest, but it was worth the gamble to close out Tampa. If Verlander had thrown 6 innings of 2 hit ball, the decision to start him would be considered brilliant. Houston's option, Verlander or who, Miley? It was a no-brainer, worth the gamble. Cole will finish the job. Good luck to the Astros. I want to see the 2 best clubs in the AL go for the pennant. -- Al

I thought it was a terrible decision, smacking of desperation, because you would have had Verlander on full rest for a game five at home. Pitchers normally work on four days rest so you could expect that his FB and other pitches would have been off slightly, just enough for major league hitters to do some damage. Experiments with the unknown are best left to the laboratory of the regular season. If you had Verlander on full rest, then you would have had Cole ready to face the Yankees. When you play these series, you need to plan for the long term, not the short term. Now, if the Astros win, by no means a guarantee, you will have your number 3 pitcher facing the Yankees, as opposed to your number 2 and you've messed up your rotation. The thinking was flawed from the conception.

Everything is coming up roses for the Gashouse Gorillas in the playoffs, just like it has all season.

They'll probably get Washington in the world series, and Strasburg will get in a big car accident before the first game, when he slams his car into Scherzer's.

The Yankees went 12-7 against the Rays and 3-4 against the Astros in the regular season. If you're a looking at the glass as half full kind of person, the Rays (3.65) and Astros (3.66) ranked first and second, respectively, in ERA during the regular season among AL teams. The Astros (.221) and Rays (.230) were first and second in batting average against. The Astros (1,671) were tops in strikeouts and the Rays (1,621) third. The Astros (1.13) were first in WHIP and the Rays (1.17) third. The Yankees did finish ahead of the Astros and Rays in saves with 50, which tied the Twins for the AL lead.

as I said before the game started...I thought Hinch was making a bad decision starting Verlander...but who am I to question him...I would have conceded a possible loss starting Urquiday last night if I had my choice......but I can see his idea of having 2 chances...with his best pitchers...to advance by starting Verlander last night...and Cole Thursday...he would have looked smart if the Astros had won...but they didn't...now with the rotation in a state of disorder...he has to face new issues if they advance...

not sure if the lack of rest effected him...but last night Verlander looked uneasy from the start...uncomfortable when the camera got close ups on him...taking deep breaths before each pitch...seemingly rushing each pitch...he never seemed himself and never had his best stuff...he just looked awkward while pressed into service...

I'm sure I have seen Glasnow pitch...I have literally watched every game this year...but I honestly don't remember him...I looked up his 2019 stats last night...Glasnow was leading the majors leagues in wins and ERA before a strained forearm sidelined him in May...he is very good at what he does...

I still think they will win Game 5 at home...they are a different team at home...runs should be at a premium with these 2 pitchers...hopefully Springer and Brantley can give them some offense Thursday night...should be a great game...

I thought it was a terrible decision, smacking of desperation, because you would have had Verlander on full rest for a game five at home. Pitchers normally work on four days rest so you could expect that his FB and other pitches would have been off slightly, just enough for major league hitters to do some damage. Experiments with the unknown are best left to the laboratory of the regular season. If you had Verlander on full rest, then you would have had Cole ready to face the Yankees. When you play these series, you need to plan for the long term, not the short term. Now, if the Astros win, by no means a guarantee, you will have your number 3 pitcher facing the Yankees, as opposed to your number 2 and you've messed up your rotation. The thinking was flawed from the conception.
It was a risk but the Astros obviously wanted to avoid a 5th game winner-take-all situation, and, I'm guessing here, therefore believed the risk of starting Verlander was worth the downsides. I know that if I had a Verlander and Cole, I wouldn't concede the 4th game by starting someone like Miley. Simply too many things can go haywire in that 5th game. Now, the move didn't work and everything is now up in the air, but having Cole as a fall-back for Game 5 made the choice to start Verlander in Game 4 an obvious one. Why go to Game 5 if you can end it in Game 4? It's a good move if it works, no so much if it doesn't. It didn't work so it looks bad but I still would have rolled the dice with my best to close it out. Houston has to win to get to the Yanks, so they took a shot to end it in 4. It didn't work. Now Cole has to come through. -- Al

It was a risk but the Astros obviously wanted to avoid a 5th game winner-take-all situation, and, I'm guessing here, therefore believed the risk of starting Verlander was worth the downsides. I know that if I had a Verlander and Cole, I wouldn't concede the 4th game by starting someone like Miley. Simply too many things can go haywire in that 5th game. Now, the move didn't work and everything is now up in the air, but having Cole as a fall-back for Game 5 made the choice to start Verlander in Game 4 an obvious one. Why go to Game 5 if you can end it in Game 4? It's a good move if it works, no so much if it doesn't. It didn't work so it looks bad but I still would have rolled the dice with my best to close it out. Houston has to win to get to the Yanks, so they took a shot to end it in 4. It didn't work. Now Cole has to come through. -- Al

Al...

I don't think Miley was ever a consideration to start Game 4...they had Urquiday listed as the starter way before Hinch opted for Verlander...Miley has not been very dependable his last several starts...shaky at best...

while I disagree with stating Verlander last night...I can see your logic and obviously Hinch was thinking the same thing you were...if you can't win one game with Verlander or Cole...maybe you don't deserve to advance...

like they say in the deep South..."you gotta dance with the one that brung you"...

all the pressure is on the Astros...TB must be feeling pretty good right now...I hope Cole is up for it...and I hope some of the bats wake up...and I hope and I hope and I hope...and I hope...^&grin...should be a great game...

Mattress Mac is probably sweating the game more than I am...he's got a 3.5 million dollar bet on it....^&grin

Al...

I don't think Miley was ever a consideration to start Game 4...they had Urquiday listed as the starter way before Hinch opted for Verlander...Miley has not been very dependable his last several starts...shaky at best...

while I disagree with stating Verlander last night...I can see your logic and obviously Hinch was thinking the same thing you were...if you can't win one game with Verlander or Cole...maybe you don't deserve to advance...

like they say in the deep South..."you gotta dance with the one that brung you"...

all the pressure is on the Astros...TB must be feeling pretty good right now...I hope Cole is up for it...and I hope some of the bats wake up...and I hope and I hope and I hope...and I hope...^&grin...should be a great game...

Mattress Mac is probably sweating the game more than I am...he's got a 3.5 million dollar bet on it....^&grin
I'm rooting for the Astros, Mike, for your sake and the fact that the 2 best teams should face off. I know the Rays are good but I can't stand the possibility of their bringing that 'opener' crap to the the WS. I'm just too old school. :wink2: -- Al

The reason you start Verlander in game 5 is that he’s thrived in key situations. Cole, although he’s had a lot of experience in the playoffs, is untested in these situations. That’s why using Verlander in game 4 was a terrible idea. If the Astros win game 5, no one talks about game 4 again, but if they lose...

Even if they win they’re going to need a game 4 starter aside from the first three.

As far as openers go, almost every team uses them now. The Yankees use them and it’s effective. Chuck Tanner first broached the idea years ago. The Rays are in the forefront of creative thinking.

If the Astros win game 5, no one talks about game 4 again, but if they lose...

I kind of agree...
but even if they win...
they sort of limp in with an un-rested rotation...
I'm sure in a perfect world...
Hinch would of wanted Verlander and Cole starting a series with the Yankees...
especially with the first 2 games at home...
I guess it would be Grienke now...
meaning he would now probably be pitching 2 games against the Yankees...
and that's all if the Astros win Thursday night...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back