A Tiger in the Snow - John Jenkins new German Tiger Tank Model (2 Viewers)

tmanthegreat

Master Sergeant
Once again, John has knocked it out of the park with his latest piece of WWII armor - the German Panzerkampfwagen VI "Tiger" Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz.181), Initial Production model (GA-52). It’s got all the usual features one expects from John’s tanks like the full interior and working features. The German Tiger Tank has definitely seen its share of models made by various manufacturers, but I like the direction John took in making an Initial Production Tiger which no one else seems to have made yet. It keeps his model unique and not duplicative.

I’ve got mine displayed in a vignette with some Xuan Hua figures and War Park tank crew with JG Miniatures trees and base. I tried to craft the scene based on what one sees in photos of the actual tank: Tiger #123 from Schwere Panzerabteilung 502, as it appeared during the Second Battle of Lake Ladoga/Operation Iskra near Leningrad in January 1943. Hope you all enjoy!

IMG-3073.jpg

IMG-3074.jpg

IMG-3075.jpg

IMG-3076.jpg

IMG-3078.jpg

IMG-3080.jpg

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG-3084.jpg

IMG-3088.jpg

IMG-3089.jpg

Last edited:
An outstanding looking Tiger on an outstanding looking display base Tristan. You certainly knocked this one out of the park.

Mike

Like it awaiting mine but heard nothing from TF about shipping yet.

Expertly done, tman! Looks like a page from a history book.

Mark

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my JJD Tiger tank diorama! I really appreciate it 😃

Creating this scene was a process, more so than usual… I did a bit of advanced research referencing historical photos and even model kit box art images for layout and terrain/scenery ideas. The layout went through a few evolutions before I got a look that felt right. The original version was displayed on a section of JG Miniatures Snow Grass terrain matting for the base; however, the light brown dusting on the Tiger tank stood out too much and that didn’t sit well with me. I then switched to a section of JG Miniatures mud terrain matting with vehicle tracks, the brown color of which better blended with the Tiger tank. Model railroad snow powder was sprinkled/brushed on to hide the figure bases and tree roots; it was also lightly brushed over the vehicle tracks to give them a “slushier” look. I’m very happy with the end results and I think this diorama will be a keeper 😎

Woo hoo!
IMO one of your best scenes yet-and you’ve had so many great scenes.

that Tiger is a beauty

Woo hoo!
IMO one of your best scenes yet-and you’ve had so many great scenes.

that Tiger is a beauty

That is a keeper... Glue it all down, it's done. {sm4}

Thanks Mike and Dragoon! I appreciate the compliments 😃

I did glue down the trees and grass tufts as they were easy to topple or kept moving around. Not sure of the best way to secure the snow powder. It does stay in place, more or less, save if a strong breeze hits it or my dog’s tail sweeps over it 🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back