Again I Ask... (1 Viewer)

GJB22

Corporal
I'm just about done reading "Soldiers of Destruction" by Charles Sydnor, and it's a fantastic book. So I must ask Andy for more 3rd SS "Totenkopf" figures. I think its only right that one of the most feared and elite German units have more representation in the world of KC.

Its a fantastic book and, regardless of their origins they were brave to the point of reckless in battle. I would like to see some more Totenkopf stuff rather than Das reich and LAH.

Just mentioned elsewhere that the Hummel and the flakpanzer were Totenkopf.

Another excellent book about TK is 'Like a cliff in the ocean' History of the 3rd SS Totenkopf

If you have not read it is for me one of the best on that unit
Mitch

Just a quick point.The GEPARD FLAKPANZER 38T was never issued to the Totenkopf Division.It was supposed to recieve 8 Flakpanzer IVs in late 1944,but none were ever recieved.
Jeff

Its a fantastic book and, regardless of their origins they were brave to the point of reckless in battle. I would like to see some more Totenkopf stuff rather than Das reich and LAH.

Just mentioned elsewhere that the Hummel and the flakpanzer were Totenkopf.

Another excellent book about TK is 'Like a cliff in the ocean' History of the 3rd SS Totenkopf

If you have not read it is for me one of the best on that unit
Mitch

Jeff...

Cheers mate. Perhaps you should tell King and country as the one they released is in Totenkopf markings.

Though a bit of artistic licence can be forgiven
Mitch

I'm just about done reading "Soldiers of Destruction" by Charles Sydnor, and it's a fantastic book. So I must ask Andy for more 3rd SS "Totenkopf" figures. I think its only right that one of the most feared and elite German units have more representation in the world of KC.

TK is an east front unit. Doesn't fit into the K&C business plan except for early war. GrossD has similar issues

TK is an east front unit. Doesn't fit into the K&C business plan except for early war. GrossD has similar issues

I know this is an issue, but the latest Tiger is "Das Reich", which many claim is a Kursk tank. I believe that Andy could still sell TK sets because German stuff always sells and many collectors have the old Russian sets to use with them.

GJB22..

Make your own TK markings and do your vehicles in that unit. Bespoke vehicles, nothing better IMO
Mitch

Same old problem. If the AFV has no unit insignia or a made up one, it isn't If it does have the correct insignia, it is too limited to use in most scenarios. Well it can't be both at the same time.

My preference is to have a correct unit insignia on the AFV, and accept that the AFVs won't match in any given scenario.

Since we can't have it both ways, what is your preference?

Terry

Suppose its all down to the individual collector. If they want certain depictions in dioramas then they can really do whatever their imagination lets them.

I suppose if you are mixing and matching vehicles from early blitzkrieg with say Kursk some may say its wrong historically, but, as long as the individual collector is happy!!! thats what counts in the hobby.

I don't mind if the AFV has no unit markings as not all had them some did some did not the new panther is a good example as it allows collectors to put it in any setting with any troops, italy, normandy, eastern front so, stick with regiment numbers and limit the unit symbols which, will allow collectors to use the peices without fear of being castigated for incorrect use. IMO
Mitch

I thought they were in France, however, and committed a few atrocities along the way.

I thought they were in France, however, and committed a few atrocities along the way.

They were in Belgium and France in 1940. Within a week they machinegunned 97 British officers and men who were prisoners. They fought the rest of the war on the Eastern Front. The Russians executed any captured Totenkopf men and officers.

At the end of the war, The Totenkopf division didn't want to be captured by the Soviets, so they attacked the American 11th Armored Division causing heavy casualties - then they surrendered to the Americans who executed the 80 wounded and turned the rest over to the Russians for execution.

Terry

GJB22..

Make your own TK markings and do your vehicles in that unit. Bespoke vehicles, nothing better IMO
Mitch

I've thought about that, but I have no experience painting and I don't know if I want to take away from my piece's value. Plus I'd like some actual figures with TK cuff titles and collar tabs.

GJB22...

I will post some figures later which have collar tabs done by my own TK markings. I have seen some sets that have been repainted go for quite a bit as they are one off sets and, in that respect unique.

Not aimed at you mate but, I buy for the fun and am not interested in whether a set goes up or down so, that releases the worry about value for me
Mitch

I've thought about that, but I have no experience painting and I don't know if I want to take away from my piece's value. Plus I'd like some actual figures with TK cuff titles and collar tabs.

They were in Belgium and France in 1940. Within a week they machinegunned 97 British officers and men who were prisoners. They fought the rest of the war on the Eastern Front. The Russians executed any captured Totenkopf men and officers.

At the end of the war, The Totenkopf division didn't want to be captured by the Soviets, so they attacked the American 11th Armored Division causing heavy casualties - then they surrendered to the Americans who executed the 80 wounded and turned the rest over to the Russians for execution.

Terry

What books would you recommend to learn more about the SS divisions - I know there are many out there. I had no idea about this, but I have not focused on this particular unit.

mike

What books would you recommend to learn more about the SS divisions - I know there are many out there. I had no idea about this, but I have not focused on this particular unit.

mike

I don't have any books specifically on a single SS Division. The material I have is mostly numerical and factual and not a detailed history of a particular unit.

Terry

I know it was asked of someone else but, these are some books which, I think on the SS are very good:

Dietrich's Warriors: History of the 3. Kompamy 1st Panzer Grenadiers LAH

Like a cliff in the ocean: History of the 3 SS Totenkopf

Murderous elites: The SS and its atrocities

12 years with Hitler History of 1st Kompanie LAH SS

Comrades to the end 4th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment ' Der Fuhrer'

Many more but, these are IMO very well worth getting
Mitch

But were they ever in Normandy :confused:

Terry is correct, after the French campaign in 1940, the division never returned to the West, fighting in the East. Ended the war in Czechoslovakia. No Normandy action for 3rd SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back