American Civil War.... (1 Viewer)

This is going to be GREAT! Archer's Tennessee boys, J. Davis's Missississippians & Pettigrews men of N. Carolina fighting it out with the Iron Brigade, and Red Legged Devils from Brooklyn NY - This stuff just never gets old. I know this is all probably a ways down the pike, but I'm pretty sure they're all marching to the sound of the guns.

Mark, These are great looking sculpts. I like the thinner sculpting and the flat bases. It reminds me of the Marx/Accurate style which is very dear to my heart. (If only these were being done in plastic in the Marx scale, it would be a dream come true. Think of the conversions that could be done...)

However, as the one who coined the phrase "No one does the Civil War like...",
you're going to need to step up the interaction and drama and carnage
to put 'First Legion' in the blank in that statement. On behalf of all ACW Collectors, I say "Bring it on!"

Joe

Wonderful dismounted cavalry. Were you influenced by Alan Silks work by any chance? It's a pretty rare type to cover

Just canceled a pre-order for another makers upcoming Buford's cavalry figures. This annoucement on First Legions upcoming ACW series came just at the right time.:rolleyes:

Reynolds' Corps were the first re-enforcements on the field for the Union Army. I am hoping for a quick appearance for the Iron Brigade. I am hoping, REALLY hoping, for the 19th Indiana's colors to be done. Wisconsin and Michigan have been represented, I think that the Hoosiers should be done. Just my humble opinion!

I just noticed these Union cavalry troopers are equipped with the new Spencer carbines and all have the Blakeslee ammunition box. The Blakeslee ammunition box was filled with 7 replacement tubes of Spencer cartridge for fast reloading. I appreciate First legion adding these little details. Civil War cavalry figures usually are shown only using Sharps carbines.

King's Man

As I look even closer there are two or maybe three that are armed with Sharps carbines. This would be correct, as most Federal cavalry were still armed with the Sharps, Burnside, or some other minor manufactured carbines during the Gettysburg campaign.

It will be interesting to see if First Legion actually names the unit these figures belong to or just list them as Union cavalry. It would be fairly easy to find out which Federal cavalry units were issued with the Spencer Carbines at the time of the Gettysburg campaign.

This is going to be most interesting, seeing both of the American lines; Civil War and American Revolution unfold. I know I will be buying the American Revolution, but may have to surrender to buying a few Civil War figures, time will tell. However, like First Legion the Napoleonic figures will always be my main interest and love.

King’s Man

Hey Matt,
Your getting closer but my money's still safe!:D:D:D
Mark

I need information from Matt and fellow forum members regarding Buford's Cavalry. I have been doing some research today and I am finding that Spencer carbines weren't available to Union troops until at least August of 1863. The only Cavalry using Spencer's at Gettysburg were two regiments of the Michigan Brigade under Custer. Those two regiments were using the Spencer rifle.
Ordinance returns for Buford's Division show that they used a mix of Sharp's, Burnside and Smith carbines
I like the FL figures using the Spencer's, they are different than what other companies are making. I am certainly not trying to cause problems, I am just curious as to what Matt's source is.

That is precisely what I mean about manufacturers releasing news about upcoming ranges sooner... gives a collector a chance to decide what choices to make with financial and space restrictions. A new, great release by First Legion! We are living in interesting times for this hobby!

NICE!!!!!! I was thinking of buying a couple of FL WWII figures (I only have one FL so far - a Napoleonic), but I won't be able to resist more now since these ACW figures are bound to be tremendous. And I bet UK Reb will come up with some amazing dioramas to whet everyone's appetite.

This is going to be GREAT! Archer's Tennessee boys, J. Davis's Missississippians & Pettigrews men of N. Carolina fighting it out with the Iron Brigade, and Red Legged Devils from Brooklyn NY - This stuff just never gets old. I know this is all probably a ways down the pike, but I'm pretty sure they're all marching to the sound of the guns.

For someone who has spent his entire life in NC and Wisconsin, if FL makes the Iron Brigade versus NC soldiers, I will be in heaven.

Matt: Your 11 figure set of dismounted Union Cavalry is tremendous. The Spencer Carbines and Blakeslee boxes give a distinct late 1863 onward flavor to the look of the Federals...a time when the Union was getting the upper hand in some cavalry skirmishes in part to better horses, higher quality weaponry and commanders who utilized those attributes to some advantage. No longer were incompetent commanders like Stoneman and Pleasonton leading the troopers. Like the overly cautious and occasionally timid commanders like McClellen, Hooker and Meade, the cavalry needed a U.S. Grant to lead their force and mighty Phil Sheridan was the just the right person to lead. His actions were personified circa late 1863 onward when the FL depicted figures are most appropriate in the Eastern Theatre in particular. Consider a juxtaposition of Sheridan's cavalry at say Yellow Tavern, Trevilian Station or Cedar Creek. Don't be seduced,however, by the Union's superior firepower as in many instances Sheridan's troops with superior numbers and weaponry often struggled to hold there own against the outmanned but more tacticfully proficient Confederate Cavalry and in many cases lost or broke even in some important battles in the process. Matt: Can we expect some dismounted Confederate Cavalry in the future? For the time being with the June roll out of the FL dismounted Union Cavalry, Civil War afficianados get to experience another accurate layer of late 1863 onward versions of this branches epic efforts. They do not clash or compete with the WM Britain dismounted Federal cavalry being rolled out this summer as those exude an early to mid 1863 ala Brandy Station/Gettsburg campaign look. The FL line just carries through the look until the end of the conflict. An absolutely incredible addition.

I know there is much talk about "nobody does ACW like so and so...." Well, that's all changed now. First Legion presents the American Civil War.

First Legion - American Civil War

In the words of the immortal Maxium Decimus Meridius....

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??"

Regards,

Matt

Seems like you've learned a lot from So and So and I'm sure you'll continue to. as So and So continues providing collectors with his Civil Wars sets and figures.

Can we get a size clarification on these? Britains/Old Conte size, K&C Del Prado size, Shenandoah/Bussler size or something else?

Last edited:
I a little confused. (Not the first time, or the last) Are these up for pre-order now and come out in June or do we pre-order in June??? Sorry if the answer is obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back