Andy's Post at Toy Soldier Chat (3 Viewers)

I really think this has gone far enough. If you want to talk about the original intent of this thread as Dave has tried to do, that's fine but I don't want to have to see any more of this back and forth on this nonsense. I'll be deleting every post after this and if that doesn't work, I'm just closing or deleting the thread.

jazzeum said:
I really think this has gone far enough. If you want to talk about the original intent of this thread as Dave has tried to do, that's fine but I don't want to have to see any more of this back and forth on this nonsense. I'll be deleting every post after this and if that doesn't work, I'm just closing or deleting the thread.

OK by me, for what ever my vote counts. Just one of many.

jazzeum said:

No problems with me too. I had say what I had to say. I'll send a PM to Eddy tonight to apologize and explain why I named him. Sorry to have done that.

Pierre.

Firebat said:
Layin low................having fun............a lot of new Treefrog stuff just got delivered........:D :D

Firebat-
What did you get? I assume it is bulge related. How do you like it?

Eddy and I had communicate by way of PM. He is a true gentleman and will be a great addition to the forum.

Pierre.

Pierre said:
Eddy and I had communicate by way of PM. He is a true gentleman and will be a great addition to the forum.

Pierre.

Did you guys talk in French or English?

jazzeum said:

Of course Canadians from the French part, like Pierre, will talk French if they get the opportunity. But the problem is that I'm living in the Flemish part of Belgium. So my mother tongue is Dutch (the same language as is spoken in the Netherlands) and not French. In Belgium all the pupils are learning Flemish, French, English and German. If someone needs an English translation from a German text don't hesitate, you are welcome! On the other hand I don't nothing about football. I believe this gonna be tough in the following weeks on this forum.

P.S. Can somebody explain me why some guys are talking about the command car 'GRIEF' instead of 'GREIF'. Is this the proper translation in English?
Eddy

bricoleur said:
P.S. Can somebody explain me why some guys are talking about the command car 'GRIEF' instead of 'GREIF'. Is this the proper translation in English? Eddy

Eddy, I think it is because the english word for "pain at the loss of a loved one" or "having a situation that causes a problem" is grief. So when K&C came out with the Greif, it's easy to not use the correct K&C version when the rule in English is "i before e, except after c, and in some cases." The rules for the English language are horrible and complex and they cause much grief for us here using the American language.:rolleyes:

Like colour (English version) and color (American version).

Last edited:
jazzeum said:

En français mon ami, en français. And the french of Eddy is excellent and he masters four languages. Je lui lève mon chapeau.

There are also other members who controls more than one language. As example, Joe (CannonFodder1971) who sent me a PM, part in english and part in an excellent french.

It would be interesting to know who controls more than one language, which ones and why. This is not too personnal infos and it helps to know each others a little bit better.

As for me, my maternal language is french and I have a basic knowledge that allows me to participate in the greatest forum about collecting military miniatures.

Pierre.

Eddy,

I would like to add to Michael's explanation concerning the use of "grief" instead of "Greif." Due to the fact that the supply of "Greif's" quickly disappeared from the market, it caused many collectors a "painful problem" because they could not obtain one. Therefore, the word "grief" seemed to fit the situation that disappointed collectors faced. The use of the word "grief" was a purposeful pun of sorts.

I hope this explanation helps answer your question.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Sadly, I like many Americans speak only one of the American dialects of English. I wish I could speak another language well enough to think in it. It must give you an amazing advantage to be able to think in more than one language, and approach a problem more than one way.

Looks like Toy Soldier Chat has renewed their license for another year. Good for them. :)

I learnt French at school but have forgoten most of it because of old age :) When I went to school (an often quoted phrase) you often only had the choice of French or Latin as a foreign language. Now there are many choices and my eldest son is presently studying Japanese.

As for the true German meaning of GREIF, I believe it can mean either the mythical beast 'Gryphon/Griffin' or 'Attack/Seize'.

Last edited:
Gentle Friends,

Like Alex, I just noted that a decision has been reached to continue the Toy Soldier Chat Forum. I consider this event as extremely good news for toy soldier collectors in general. If you have been following the discussion on the Chat Forum, you have doubtless noted that I have been supporting the continuation of that forum. I have done so not because I believe it is superior to Treefrog, but because I believe in having choices. Some collectors perfer the Chat Forum, many others prefer the Treefrog Forum. In my case, I deeply appreciate and enjoy both. And,...I strongly support the existence of both. Both forums afford me with wonderful opportunities to interact with those who share my hobby interests, to learn more about my hobby from others, and to smile at the friendly banter that occurs between good friends.

I want to thank all of you who also supported the continuation of the Chat Forum. It seems to have made a positive difference!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

More drama over there then at a soap opera convention!

Sometimes I think you are conversing with a bunch of girl scouts.

More then I can understand.

Njja

Pierre said:
... It would be interesting to know who controls more than one language, which ones and why ...
English and Chinese (Cantonese dialect) ... because my parents are Chinese. Though born in the U.S., I grew up speaking Chinese, and only started to speak English when I started school.:)

wadepat said:
... Like Alex, I just noted that a decision has been reached to continue the Toy Soldier Chat Forum ...
While Bill Moore has started a new thread, most, if not all, of the members whose complaints triggered the review continue to exchange frivolous wordplay and not discuss toy soldiers.:(

OzDigger said:
I learnt French at school but have forgoten most of it because of old age :) When I went to school (an often quoted phrase) you often only had the choice of French or Latin as a foreign language. Now there are many choices and my eldest son is presently studying Japanese.

As for the true German meaning of GREIF, I believe it can mean either the mythical beast 'Gryphon/Griffin' or 'Attack/Seize'.

This is correct. The Germans always liked the names of animals for fighting vehicles, such as Puma, Tiger, Panther, Elephant, Wespe, ....
Operation "Greif" is also known as a part of the Battle of the Bulge.
Eddy

bricoleur said:
This is correct. The Germans always liked the names of animals for fighting vehicles, such as Puma, Tiger, Panther, Elephant, Wespe, ....
Operation "Greif" is also known as a part of the Battle of the Bulge.
Eddy

True, and also their long range bomber, the Heinkel He 177.

Pierre said:
It would be interesting to know who controls more than one language, which ones and why. This is not too personnal infos and it helps to know each others a little bit better.

Well, since I live in Belgium, I "master" four languages: Dutch as my mother tongue, French as second language, English and German. Well, my French needs a little more exercising, and I hope my English isn't that bad, and my German needs some brushing up, especially writing (German could be a pain in the a***, sometimes...).

As Louis said, speaking several languages and more specifically thinking in another one has a lot of advantages. I'm not that good, but I regularly think in English. I just don't know, but I think I master English better than French. It's a television-thing, I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back