Baseball 2011 (5 Viewers)

3 more outs to go for the Cards. Their pitching sure has stopped the Rangers dead since that 1st inning. I see the Rangers have issued 41 walks, the most ever in a WS. Nolan can't be happy with that. -- Al

Congratulations St. Louis. Magnificent series win. Just enjoyed the heck out of this series. Enjoy the Championship! -- Al

Enjoyed that great series but can't workout how its a world series without the rest of the world involved....^&confuse
Anyway thoroughly enjoyed it......................:)

Wow, 11th championship for St. Louis! Just an unbelieveable two months. Everything they have done, from being 10 1/2 out in August, winning Wild Card on the last day of the season and beating the top two teams in the NL, to now winning it all. Simply outstanding. Hats off to Texas, as they played a good series. Still, the team of destiny wasn't going to be denied!

Wish I was back at home in the Show-Me State tonight...

Noah

Congrats to the Cardinals, this will go down as perhaps the greatest story in baseball history, down 10 1/2 games for a playoff spot, getting in on the last day, winning game 6 then finishing it last night.

Game 6 IMO is one of if not the greatest world series games ever, tops game 6 in 75 and 86.

Nice job, 11 championships.

I hope they win the next 16 in a row and pass the Yankees as the team with the most championships.

Funny to hear people say when this series started it will be one of the lowest rated ever due to the two teams involved; goes to show you baseball is a great game, doesn't matter if the Yankees, Red Sox or Phillies are in it, all that matters is how good the games are and game 6 was for the ages................

7th inning stretch and things are looking good for the Cards at 5-2. Texas has 6 outs left to make this a nail-biter. I wonder who gets MVP if the Cards win this thing?:rolleyes2:(Can you say Fresse? I know you can.) -- Al
What a surprise the MVP vote was. Freese won. Duh! Glad to see the home town boy get to live the ultimate American dream. I don't know a single boy I grew up with who didn't want to win the WS and be the hero. Does my heart good{bravo}} -- Al

What a surprise the MVP vote was. Freese won. Duh! Glad to see the home town boy get to live the ultimate American dream. I don't know a single boy I grew up with who didn't want to win the WS and be the hero. Does my heart good{bravo}} -- Al

Yeah, it is nice to see someone who is not a perpetual all-star step up and perform. Freese was lights-out this whole series, and the playoffs in general. I think he was certainly worth his $400,000+ salary!

Noah

With the exception of a couple of disappointments, mainly the collapse of the Orioles and the early playoff exit of the NYY's, I found that the 2011 MLB season was a very interesting and exciting contest from beginning to the unbelievable ending. The drama of the wildcard races and the playoffs hopefully added many fans to the grand old game. JMO, but if this season didn't get the juices flowing, then baseball probably will never be your favorite sport. Of course, it is a lot more fun if the team one roots for does well, but even if it doesn't, a fan can surely appreciate what this past season offered just for the entertainment value. Now I guess I will just count the months until Opening Day 2012 and stay up on what the Hot Stove League has to offer. 2012 will be hard pressed to be as good as 2011 but hopefully the continued improvement of the Nationals and the continued winning ways of the NYY's (hope they can improve the pitching), will make 2012 a banner season as well. I don't know what to say about the Orioles except 2012 is a new beginning and that everyone is in first place on Opening Day. Thank you, MLB, for the season of 2011.{bravo}} -- Al

Just saw this afternoon that Tony La Russa is retiring after 33 years as a major league manager. Love him or hate him, he was an interesting guy who lead his teams in a unique way. People will continue to debate whether or not his constant changes with the bullpen or line up were productive, but either way, you have to take notice of his win total. Third place all time in MLB is impressive, if just for the longevity of his career.

Noah

Just saw this afternoon that Tony La Russa is retiring after 33 years as a major league manager. Love him or hate him, he was an interesting guy who lead his teams in a unique way. People will continue to debate whether or not his constant changes with the bullpen or line up were productive, but either way, you have to take notice of his win total. Third place all time in MLB is impressive, if just for the longevity of his career.

Noah
Just saw this about 5 minutes ago on the news. Good for him, going out on top with a great WS championship under his belt. Too many people hang on too long in their chosen fields, especially in sports. He was a great manager and HOF worthy without doubt. St. Louis and MLB will miss him. -- Al

HOF manager for sure. It's amazing that after 33 years, he doesn't look that old. It's great that you can call your tune and leave when you want.

So, what's the talk in St. Louis about his successor? Yesterday, on WFAN in NY, John Haymond of Sports Illustrated didn't think Oquendo would be a likely successor but that Terry Francona might be a good fit.

Hot stove percolating. CC has re-upped with the Bombers. That got done fast. Now, who gets Pujols?:eek: -- Al

HOF manager for sure. It's amazing that after 33 years, he doesn't look that old. It's great that you can call your tune and leave when you want.

So, what's the talk in St. Louis about his successor? Yesterday, on WFAN in NY, John Haymond of Sports Illustrated didn't think Oquendo would be a likely successor but that Terry Francona might be a good fit.

Yeah, I saw Francona's name as well in an article on the team's website. All speculation, of course.:wink2: Same article also mentioned Joe Maddon of the Devil Rays, but I don't see why he would want to leave Tampa Bay. The Rays have as good a shot as St. Louis next year. Francona would be an easier choice, as he is a proven winner and currently availible.

I have always liked Oquendo, but I don't know if the owners want to wait on him to get 'experienced' when they can go out and pick up someone like Francona. Still, it will be interesting to see which announcement comes first: who the new manager is or if Albert is staying. Each of these factors will weigh heavily on the other I would think.....

Noah

If Joe Maddon is available, I would go after him. Why would he want to leave? Look at the park where the Rays play compared to Busch, and then look at the fans. They have a good club in the Rays but can't fill up the place. You have great fans in St. Louis who love the team through thick and thin. Those are some good reasons right there.

Yeah, I saw Francona's name as well in an article on the team's website. All speculation, of course.:wink2: Same article also mentioned Joe Maddon of the Devil Rays, but I don't see why he would want to leave Tampa Bay. The Rays have as good a shot as St. Louis next year. Francona would be an easier choice, as he is a proven winner and currently availible.

I have always liked Oquendo, but I don't know if the owners want to wait on him to get 'experienced' when they can go out and pick up someone like Francona. Still, it will be interesting to see which announcement comes first: who the new manager is or if Albert is staying. Each of these factors will weigh heavily on the other I would think.....

Noah
Wouldn't be surprised if Albert has more than a little to say about who the next Cards manager is going to be, that is if the Cards want to keep him around.:wink2: -- Al

If Joe Maddon is available, I would go after him. Why would he want to leave? Look at the park where the Rays play compared to Busch, and then look at the fans. They have a good club in the Rays but can't fill up the place. You have great fans in St. Louis who love the team through thick and thin. Those are some good reasons right there.

I hadn't thought about the fans base aspect, but that is a big part of it. What fun is it to win if nobody is there to watch!^&grin Haven't seen much of Maddon, but he seems to be a solid manager.

Wouldn't be surprised if Albert has more than a little to say about who the next Cards manager is going to be, that is if the Cards want to keep him around.:wink2: -- Al

Al, I think you are right. If the manager is first, it will be interesting to try and read Albert's public reaction and what influence that has on his contract negotiations.

Noah

From a baseball point of view I can't understand why he'd want to leave; he's won two titles plus they field a competitve team every year.

Financially, who can afford to meet his demands. Teams that could ante up the bidding aren't players, e.g., Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies. Dodgers can't because of financial situation. Maybe Cub or Angels. Other players would be small market teams so I can't see him leaving.

I think the Nationals could be big players in the free-agent market this off-season. The owners have been patient building this team from the bottom up and have also been willing to spend money, so it is probable that the Nats will spend some big money to fill the one or two gaps that the team still has; a veteran starting pitcher to anchor all the outstanding young starters and a centerfielder. The NL East is in for a dogfight if the Nats can find these last parts. -- Al

The Managers of the Year for the two leagues were announced and there were no surprises with Gibson winning for the Diamondbacks and Madden for the Rays. The two Cy Young winners were all but forgone conclusions, as well. Verlander was a landslide winner in the AL and Kershaw was nearly as big a margin winner in the NL. Now, who gets the MVP's? -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back