Baseball 2011 (6 Viewers)

An incredible game. Pujols has a game for the ages. The only game I can remember that was close was Reggie's 3 homer game against the Dodgers in 1977. As George said, that first homer was just crushed. A very impressive game for the Cards offense that makes Game 4 a must win for Texas, which obviously wouldn't want to go down 3-1 in games, but also must recover their morale and confidence. -- Al

What do the Cardinals do about Albert, they've already offered him 9/190, he wants 10/230.

He wants that thanks to Arod setting the bar, that's insane money considering he'll be north of 40 when it ends, the back end of that contract could be ugly, just like the rest of Arod's contract is going to be.

Since he's come off the HGH/Steriods, he has clearly not been the same player, good luck Yankees dealing with that disaster of a contract going forward............

What do the Cardinals do about Albert, they've already offered him 9/190, he wants 10/230.

He wants that thanks to Arod setting the bar, that's insane money considering he'll be north of 40 when it ends, the back end of that contract could be ugly, just like the rest of Arod's contract is going to be.

Since he's come off the HGH/Steriods, he has clearly not been the same player, good luck Yankees dealing with that disaster of a contract going forward............
That's a lot of years and money for a 31 year old ballplayer, who, as you said, will be 40+ at the end of a 9 year contract. Baseball money is insane. If ever a sport needed a salary cap, it is MLB. Pujols is obviously the best in the game, but how does a team mortgage it's future like this when the odds are that the last few years of any such contract are going to be a waste, not even counting the injury possibility? Who knows, maybe Pujols will beat the curve and stay effective until he's 41, but the odds say no. Oh well, the money will get spent. I guess the only real question is who spends it. I wonder if the Yankees have a 250 million laying around.:D-- Al

That's a lot of years and money for a 31 year old ballplayer, who, as you said, will be 40+ at the end of a 9 year contract. Baseball money is insane. If ever a sport needed a salary cap, it is MLB. Pujols is obviously the best in the game, but how does a team mortgage it's future like this when the odds are that the last few years of any such contract are going to be a waste, not even counting the injury possibility? Who knows, maybe Pujols will beat the curve and stay effective until he's 41, but the odds say no. Oh well, the money will get spent. I guess the only real question is who spends it. I wonder if the Yankees have a 250 million laying around.:D-- Al

The salaries in sports in general are idiotic. He said no to 9/190............when is enough truly enough?

There will never be a salary cap in baseball, where greed is at an all time high as the country goes into the toilet over this God awful recession...........

Terrific ball game for Texas last night. Holland pitched a beauty for a must have win and now we have a best of 3 game series as a result. Hard to believe these were the same two teams from the 16-7 Cards win. Once again the old truth that good pitching stops good hitting. This series is the barn burner everyone thought it would be. The final games should be a thrill to watch (for anyone who is watching, that is :rolleyes2:). I still think this thing is going down to the last out of game 7. -- Al

I don't think we really know the extent of his steroid usage. This year he was hurt quite a bit, never seemed to be able to establish him.

Assuming he stays healthy, next year may be a better reflection of his abilities.

Given that the money in today's game is outrageous, if anyone is worth it, it is Pujols. His career numbers are mind-boggling. On average, for every 162 games, Pujols hits .328 with 42 Hrs, 126 rbi's, along with 197 total hits and 93 walks. Not bad numbers, I think you would agree. Also has a .420 OBP and .617 slugging. This over 11 seasons. Include 3 MVP awards (and he finished 2nd four other times) and it is going to be hard for teams to resist paying him what he is asking. 7 or 8 more good seasons and he owns the record books. Still, it is a lot of years to commit to one man, with so many variables. -- Al

Game 5 was another winner for the Texas pitching staff. They got themselves into trouble inning after inning but the Cards were unable to get a hit when they needed it. The Cards left 12 men on base and could have won this game, but they didn't. Could come back to haunt them. Back to St. Louis. and 2 sudden death games for the Cards. -- Al

I think it may end tomorrow. If the Rangers win the Series, Napoli has to be, hands down, the MVP.

Aside from game 3, Pujols has done nothing in this Series; the Rangers limited the damage to one game, so far :wink2: I think sending the runner with Pujols at bat last night was not a brilliant move, unless you're trying to stay out of the double play.

I think it may end tomorrow. If the Rangers win the Series, Napoli has to be, hands down, the MVP.

Aside from game 3, Pujols has done nothing in this Series; the Rangers limited the damage to one game, so far :wink2: I think sending the runner with Pujols at bat last night was not a brilliant move, unless you're trying to stay out of the double play.
Nail on the head, Brad. Napoli has been a beast and that attempted steal cut their throats. Except for the mentioned Game 3, the Cards have only scored 6 total runs in the other 4 games. Not a total condusive to winning, unless the pitching is outstanding. In the 3 losses, the Cards have been held to 1 run, 0 runs, and 2 runs. Hard to win averaging 1 run per game. Now it's the Cards that have to gather themselves. -- Al

Been out for a couple of days with no internet.:mad: Anyway, you guys are right on. The Cards have been pretty sad as far as consistency in the line-up goes. Look at Jay going 0 for 15 or whatever it was for three games. Holliday has also left about 10 men in scoring position. Overall, even though I hate to admit it, Texas has played a better series thus far. The Rangers have been getting hits from everyone in the line-up. If they keep that going, they will finish this tomorrow night.

I hope St. Louis can turn it around these last two games, but the Rangers seem to be more 'hungry' for the series win.

Noah

The newspaper here in DC has been full of the Game 5 screw-ups by the Cards. Specifically the botched hit and run that cost the Cards a baserunner late in the game, which, according to the paper, was called by Pujols and not LaRussa and the bull-pen fiasco which caused the Cards to have the wrong pitcher in the game during the crucial Texas at-bat that clenched the game for them. The other related story is the Pujols free-agency which appears to overshadow the series at times. Hardly a thing about Texas and how they have put themselves in a position to win it all tonight. Our paper has rather inadequate baseball coverage to start with and the fact that this series has no local (read east coast teams) involved, hasn't helped things. At least ESPN is good for something. Hope the Cards can send this to Game 7 and that Game 7 becomes a game for the ages. -- Al

What a comeback 2 runs behind twice,look forward to the next game...................

I've been watching baseball for almost 50 years and that is one of the most amazing WS games I've ever seen. Ranks up there among the best. People will talk about this one for awhile.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
What,s really great is Freese is a hometown St. Louis boy!
Gary

Game 6, what can one write about it ? It sure wasn't a pitching duel or a game that was well played with a bunch of fielding gems, the opposite in fact. It was an instant classic however. Twice Texas had the game all but won with the Cards down to their last strike. Twice the Rangers were one strike from the title. Twice the Cards got the clutch hits to tie the game, once in the 9th and again in the 10th and then came the walk-off, game winning homer to lead off the 11th. What fun to watch. Any baseball fan who didn't stick to the end, just smack yourself in the head and say 'doh!'. I have never seen anything like this game in all the WS games I have seen, going back 50 years. Seen a lot of great games but nothing like the Cards refusal to die quietly, the comeback ability that surely could be done once in a blue moon, but certainly not twice in the same game. We have a Game 7 now, and I expect it will be worthy of Game 6. Game 6 is a crusher for Texas and renewed life for St. Louis but Game 7 is a different beast. All or nothing, the whole long season and championship down to one game. Just as it should be. Game 6 is history and the title remains to be taken. The Rangers or the Cards? I still pick the Cards but I don't expect the Rangers to concede easily. The Cards are going to have to earn the title. Last out of the last game. Should be a classic, just like this season has been, just like this series has been. -- Al

Al, you summed up the situation really well. I can't add a whole lot, except to say that it was amazing to watch. Even if a guy is not a Cards fan, it certainly was compelling baseball and I was on the edge of my seat for about the last hour of that game. Just unbelieveable.

Noah

Game 7 is underway! It's 2-2 after the first inning. We could see another high scoring affair, with virtually every player coming in at some point. Time will tell....

Noah

7th inning stretch and things are looking good for the Cards at 5-2. Texas has 6 outs left to make this a nail-biter. I wonder who gets MVP if the Cards win this thing?:rolleyes2:(Can you say Fresse? I know you can.) -- Al

Fairly boring game so far although it would be hard to come close to anything like last night. Looks like Cards will be champs. It will be a tough winter in Texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back