Baseball 2011 (1 Viewer)

Yes, many people it seems, have missed some great baseball. How unfortunate that unless the 'big market' teams are in, a lot of people don't watch. I don't know, maybe it is due to the length of the playoffs. I think most people like the single decisive game, like the Super Bowl or BCS championship game. I know my wife is confused by the difference between baseball's division and league championship series!

Noah
The playoffs can seem long, but really aren't too bad. Baseball seems to have it about right with just the one wildcard entry. It's not like the old days with just the two teams that won each league, but at least it's not like the other professional sports that play their long seasons to eliminate 4 teams and leave the other 20 in the playoffs.:rolleyes2: I just think MLB needs to shorten the regular season. Go back to 154 games and keep the WS out of November.:wink2: -- Al

I don't think it's a long season that's a factor (although it is) but the this is a matchup that has little appeal to much of the country. Yes, you do need those big market and well known teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc.).

Let's look at the WS since 1999 and see which probably had interest (totally unscientific and biased :wink2:):

2000 Yankees v. Mets - I went to a WS series game at Shea so you know the answer. However, you had the Yankees so that drew interest.
2001 - Yankees v. Diamondbacks - Yankees were the draw
2002 - Giants v. Angels - probably not as well rated but we probably tuned in to see Bonds.
2003 - Yankees v. Marlins - Yankees again
2004 - Red Sox v. Cards - Need I say more
2005 - White Sox v. Houston - A dud. Thank god it was over in 4.
2006 - Cardinals v. Tigers - Think this one captured a little more imagination because of the Cards but not a big draw.
2007 - Red Sox v. Rockies - Red Sox again, plus Rockies in it first time.
2008 - Phillies v. Rays - Not a Yankee like draw but some interest.
2009 - Yankees v. Phillies - Yankees
2010 - Giants v. Texas - I found it exciting but didn't draw

2011 will probably verge on 2005; I certainly have no interest and will probably not watch too much or at all. No rooting interest and no fizz there, except in Missouri and Texas and national followers of these teams.

The playoffs can seem long, but really aren't too bad. Baseball seems to have it about right with just the one wildcard entry. It's not like the old days with just the two teams that won each league, but at least it's not like the other professional sports that play their long seasons to eliminate 4 teams and leave the other 20 in the playoffs.:rolleyes2: I just think MLB needs to shorten the regular season. Go back to 154 games and keep the WS out of November.:wink2: -- Al

Al, I'm right with you. I don't personally think the playoffs are too long. Perhaps the regular season should be reduced to the 154 game format, as that idea has some merit. As you say though, I certainly don't want to see a glut of teams in the playoffs, like other sports seem to have.

Noah

Al, I'm right with you. I don't personally think the playoffs are too long. Perhaps the regular season should be reduced to the 154 game format, as that idea has some merit. As you say though, I certainly don't want to see a glut of teams in the playoffs, like other sports seem to have.

Noah

Unfortunately, it's all about money so I don't you'll ever see it reduced, plus I think you'll see the one game wildcard in the not too distant future. The owners and players are for it.

Unfortunately, it's all about money so I don't you'll ever see it reduced, plus I think you'll see the one game wildcard in the not too distant future. The owners and players are for it.
That's what I've been hearing, too. More games/teams = more bucks. It just seems to me that cutting a few regular season games might keep the snow factor out of the playoffs, especially as MLB seems determined to add more games in the playoffs. What the heck, I guess a little more baseball can't actually hurt anything.^&grin -- Al

That is beyond idiotic; you play 162 games to get to a playoff, then it's decided by one game.

Then again, idiots run baseball, so there you go.

I'll be watching this one, my third favorite team is involved, the Cardinals, hoping LaRussa brings home another WS title, the man is a genius as a manager.

Iv'e been lucky to see my three favorite teams all win WS titles in the past 5 years (Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants)..................

The WS is under way! On that note, there is a guy in this area that made a local news cast by trying to sell his WS tickets. Started out in the $1000 range, went to $600, and at last note was asking $250. No takers. Guess he didn't feel like leaving the east coast. Sort of points to the perceived unpopularity of the series participants. I think he'll be sorry. -- Al

Cards win the first game in another exciting, close, and well pitched contest. I still feel that this is going to be an exciting series to watch. As I don't have any real emotional investment in either team, beyond having lightly followed the Cards for many years, I will just enjoy the series for the quality of baseball played. I suppose I will root for the Cards as they are kind of the NYY's of the NL, having won 10 WS in their history. That is the 2nd highest all-time, behind the Yanks 27 titles. This is also their 18th WS appearance, tied for 2nd most with the Giants and Dodgers, also behind the Yanks. I like it when a traditional team, (which I define, for you youngsters, as a team in existence prior to 1961), makes it into the series. Well, here is hoping for a close, competitive series, with LaRussa and team squeezing out a victory in the 9th inning of Game 7. ^&grin -- Al

I'm rooting for the Cardinals, too, they're my favorites in the NL Central. I disagree somewhat with your observation that they're the Yankees of the NL, though, Al. Maybe in terms of World Series victories, but the similarity ends there. The Cards aren't universally hated or hated but grudgingly admired, for one thing, and St. Louis is accorded a great town to play in, nothing like the media circus that surrounds the Yankees in NY, or the Mets, for that matter (or in Philly, either, to be fair). Look at how the fans applaud Polanco when comes back with the Phils, having been a 2-time vet of the Redbirds, or how they like Ryan Howard, who's a local boy. But all that aside, I agree, the Series is off to a great start, and it's a treat for baseball fans!

Go Redbirds!
Prost!
Brad

I'm rooting for the Cardinals, too, they're my favorites in the NL Central. I disagree somewhat with your observation that they're the Yankees of the NL, though, Al. Maybe in terms of World Series victories, but the similarity ends there. The Cards aren't universally hated or hated but grudgingly admired, for one thing, and St. Louis is accorded a great town to play in, nothing like the media circus that surrounds the Yankees in NY, or the Mets, for that matter (or in Philly, either, to be fair). Look at how the fans applaud Polanco when comes back with the Phils, having been a 2-time vet of the Redbirds, or how they like Ryan Howard, who's a local boy. But all that aside, I agree, the Series is off to a great start, and it's a treat for baseball fans!

Go Redbirds!
Prost!
Brad
The Yankees hated? The New York Yankees hated? What is this 'hate' you speak of? Are not the NYY widely loved and admired for playing in 40 of the last 91 World Series and winning 27 of them? I'm sure I read somewhere that the Yanks were the most popular team of all time for helping the little burg of New York City gain it's place in the sun. At any rate, I know for a fact that the good people of Boston have nothing but affection for the NY Yankees because one sees it everytime the Yanks visit Boston to play baseball. The fans of Baltimore also love the Yanks because so many of them enjoy dressing as Yankee fans every time the Yanks visit. Everyone just loves the Yankees. -- Al (aka a closet Yankee fan)

Don,t know if this is really known nationally, but LaRussa is either loved or hated in St Louis. Up until this post season he had many detractors here in St louis. I think it stems from his somber personality, the fact he lives on the West Coast and can be somewhat arrogant in interviews.
Notice I said up until this post season. No one can deny he has been brilliant, thus his nickname in St Louis "LaGenious"
Oh and I wish he wouldn,t dye his hair!
Gary

Go Redbirds!
Prost!
Brad

Are you connected to the Cardinals PR Office or what? :rolleyes2: Why don't you ask a Cubs fan what they think of the Cards and then duck. Grudgingly admired by whom? I loath them, actually more than the Phillies, if you want to know the truth. The home of the White Rat, the meanest you know what there ever was. Great fans? Let's see, I remember them screaming at Keith Hernandez and other Mets players "pond scum" and other unmentionables.

St. Louis is a nice little town (I've been there several times) but there's only one place to play in and that's New York or the East for that matter. Most knowledgeable fans around.

Are you connected to the Cardinals PR Office or what? :rolleyes2: .

And do you work for the New York Office of Tourism?

Actually, David Letterman demonstrated back in 1984 or 85 that the Mets were not pond scum. Pond scum had a higher batting average, better fielding percentage, and while the Mets had one guy named Mookie, while for pond scum, everybody was named Mookie.

Not to distract from the recent PR office posts, but there was a great WS game last night.^&grin I thought it was a well-played game, and not just because my team won! The effort displayed by Carpenter was outstanding, as shown by his covering first base early on. That was a risky play, leaving his throwing arm unprotected from the runner. But, it worked out and makes for a good highlight!

As expected, La Russa did his thing, substititing guys in when needed. The use of Allen Craig in the sixth and the various bullpen moves exemplify La Russa's feel for the game. I will refrain from calling him brilliant, but the results speak for themselves. The Rangers had their chances, but didn't execute. Overall, I think it was a good start for the series.

One other thing. What is with the 'thermal cam' or whatever it is? Why all of the sudden do we need that?

Noah

I caught the last third of the game (other commitments, plus guitar practice) and thought it well played. Looks like it's getting cold out in the midwest. From what I've seen of the playoff games, the Cardinals closer, whose name escapes me, is very effective.

I caught the last third of the game (other commitments, plus guitar practice) and thought it well played. Looks like it's getting cold out in the midwest. From what I've seen of the playoff games, the Cardinals closer, whose name escapes me, is very effective.

You're thinking of Jason Motte, the unofficial closer. La Russa for some reason won't name Motte as the actual closer. I assume it is to avoid pressure on him with the media or something, but when you are the guy coming in during the ninth inning, protecting a lead, you are the closer!

Motte is an interesting guy though. He is a converted catcher, as his hitting ability in the minors was pretty bad. You can tell he is not a 'pure' pitcher due to his delivery, which is a little awkward. It looks like he just gets up there and chucks a heater towards the plate everytime. He has some sight problems and wears glasses sometimes off the field. Next time his pitching, watch him squint when he tries to read the sign from Molina. It is kind of funny, but scary too!

Noah

Who was the original closer this year? I know the Cards had a lot of injuries. You have to give LaRussa and Duncan a lot of credit, they know how to get the most out of pitchers. One of the former Mets pitching coaches, and who is a very bright guy, who took over at Oakland after Duncan and LaRussa left said that when he first came in he saw all the pitching charts Duncan left, he learned a lot about how to organize a staff. Very organized he said.

I think the fact that batters know Motte has vision problem could be a plus. They could be thinking that I better not dig in if this guy can't see too well. There was a pitcher with the Yankees back in the 60s who wore glasses (whose name I can't remember) and batters were leery of him.

Brad, you are remembering Ryne Duren, aka 'Blind Ryne', who was with the Yanks from 1958 thru 1961 in his 10 year career. Wore thick glasses and liked the reputation for throwing hard and not being able to see real well while on the mound. -- Al

Brad, you are remembering Ryne Duren, aka 'Blind Ryne', who was with the Yanks from 1958 thru 1961 in his 10 year career. Wore thick glasses and liked the reputation for throwing hard and not being able to see real well while on the mound. -- Al

Al,

He's the one. I remember him. I think he was pretty good. Yanks had a good pen back then.

Brad

Are you connected to the Cardinals PR Office or what? :rolleyes2: Why don't you ask a Cubs fan what they think of the Cards and then duck. Grudgingly admired by whom? I loath them, actually more than the Phillies, if you want to know the truth. The home of the White Rat, the meanest you know what there ever was. Great fans? Let's see, I remember them screaming at Keith Hernandez and other Mets players "pond scum" and other unmentionables.

St. Louis is a nice little town (I've been there several times) but there's only one place to play in and that's New York or the East for that matter. Most knowledgeable fans around.

Sorry, I don't see the Cardinals as anything close to a team people hate; for what reason?

They play the game the right way, no break dancing or flashing hand gestures after a simple base hit.

What reason would Cubs fans have to hate them, am I missing something?

They were incredibly nice to us in the stadium after the Red Sox won the world series in 2004, shaking hands and saying congrats, no hatred on display that night.

Mets fans I can understand after the whole game 7 of the NLCS win on the way to the WS title over the Tigers in 2006........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back