Baseball 2011 (4 Viewers)

"This message has been deleted by jazzeum.
Reason
Why bother? You're dealing with a Phillies fan, an odd breed. "

That was uncalled-for, even though you deleted your post. I didn't write anything that insulted you, whether openly or veiled.

I would beg to differ but we each had our little say so why don't we leave it at that and call it a day :smile2:

Are you connected to the Cardinals PR Office or what? :rolleyes2: Why don't you ask a Cubs fan what they think of the Cards and then duck. Grudgingly admired by whom? I loath them, actually more than the Phillies, if you want to know the truth. The home of the White Rat, the meanest you know what there ever was. Great fans? Let's see, I remember them screaming at Keith Hernandez and other Mets players "pond scum" and other unmentionables.

St. Louis is a nice little town (I've been there several times) but there's only one place to play in and that's New York or the East for that matter. Most knowledgeable fans around.

Brad for once we completely disagree. Sure I,m from St Louis but it is a nationally proclaimed fact that St louis has the best baseball fans. As I recall Hernandez was run out of town because of his cocaine habit by non other than the "white rat" Whitey Herzog. Along with Stan Musial, Herzog is a St louis all time favorite. Much more popular than LaRussa. And all this is coming from a guy (me) who gave up on baseball years ago and only began watching the Cardinals this year after they got into the playoffs. Also during the pond scum era didn,t the Cardinals pretty much come out ahead when they played the Mets for playoff appearances?
Oh another thing, "St Louis is a nice little town" I don,t think you saw me in bib overalls and a hayseed in my mouth in Chicago this year! It,s true, you east coast people, well never mind. Gary

Not to derail where this is all headed, but I have to say, I love the Brian Wilson/Taco Bell commercial. The whole "I'm black ops!" thing is hilarious! That guy is off-kilter just enough to make it really funny.

Noah

Brad for once we completely disagree. Sure I,m from St Louis but it is a nationally proclaimed fact that St louis has the best baseball fans. As I recall Hernandez was run out of town because of his cocaine habit by non other than the "white rat" Whitey Herzog. Along with Stan Musial, Herzog is a St louis all time favorite. Much more popular than LaRussa. And all this is coming from a guy (me) who gave up on baseball years ago and only began watching the Cardinals this year after they got into the playoffs. Also during the pond scum era didn,t the Cardinals pretty much come out ahead when they played the Mets for playoff appearances?
Oh another thing, "St Louis is a nice little town" I don,t think you saw me in bib overalls and a hayseed in my mouth in Chicago this year! It,s true, you east coast people, well never mind. Gary

Gary,

You're a friend so sorry if you're insulted. I never liked Herzog, just too much of an attitude, and probably should like him more since he helped build the Mets farm system when he worked for them. Good baseball man but thought a little too highly of himself. Kind of reminds be of a baseball version of Rex Ryan :D

As far as when the Mets and Cards competed (when the Mets got good), it was even. Mets and Cards were in the same division from 1985 - 1988 and I think the Cards moved to a different division in 89 but could be wrong. At any rate, Mets won twice and Cards won twice and they each won a Series in that span.

As far as being the "best" fans, no idea what that means. Best in what? In supporting their team. I know they go to the games through thick and thin (I've been to a couple of games at Busch) which is more than I can say of our fans but knowledgeable, no. My belief is that the fans in NY, Boston and Philly know their sport better.

St. Louis is a nice town, I like it, but it's not Chicago nor New York. You would say St. Louis because you're from there and I would say New York because I'm from here. It's the city that never sleeps, the best in the world.

Stay well,

Brad

Not to derail where this is all headed, but I have to say, I love the Brian Wilson/Taco Bell commercial. The whole "I'm black ops!" thing is hilarious! That guy is off-kilter just enough to make it really funny.

Noah

Off kilter is 100% true, he's chopping but no chips are flying.............and he's one hell of a closer.

Gary, was that you I saw driving the John Deere tractor to the Chicago show on the highway??:D

Noah
:D:D:D This commercial is freakin' hilarious. I love that Wilson has a sense of humor and doesn't take himself too seriously. -- Al

Yes that was me on the tractor George, my wife had the horse & buggy that weekend.
Brad, you didn,t insult me. But I really think St louis fans are just as knowlegable, but much more polite to opposing teams.
As for the pond scum days I probablly just remember the winning years. I,ll never forget I was working the ballgame and on the field that night when Strawberry hit the Busch Stadium clock with a home run.
Got to feed the chickens then get back to the game.
Gary

St Louis is the place to be
Farm living is the life for me
Land spreading out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside

New York is where I'd rather stay
I get alergic smelling hay
I just enjoy a penthouse view
Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue

Da da da da da da da, the chores
Da da da da da da da, the stores
Da da da da da da da, fresh air
Da da da da da da da, times square

You are my wife
Goodbye city life
St Louis we are there.....

Da da da da da da da

"St Louis?"....
"No, Navan Johnson"....
"No, do you need a ride to St. Louis?"........

now for 3 wins at Arlington and we can celebrate our first world series pennant

Another great game last night. A 1-run come from behind win for Texas in the 9th inning. Very well pitched game. So far this WS has been a pitcher's series, the opposite of what I expected. Two 1-run, low scoring games, when I thought it would be an offensive display. I am enjoying it.^&grin Looks to be as even as everyone expected, though. Good baseball, TV ratings or not. -- Al

As a Cardinals fan, I'd be ripping my hair out after last night; if Pujhols fields that cut off throw cleanly and looks to third, Kinsler was dead meat, ballgame over................

As a Cardinals fan, I'd be ripping my hair out after last night; if Pujhols fields that cut off throw cleanly and looks to third, Kinsler was dead meat, ballgame over................

Yeah, it was disappointing to watch. Cards had their chances as well to get more runs and couldn't deliver. It shouldn't be left up to a pinch hitter to win for you a second game in a row.:rolleyes2:

Jason Motte, who gave up the first two hits in the ninth, was a man about the loss though. He answered questions for about a half-hour following the game and didn't blame anyone but himself. He might have allowed the hits, but at least he isn't whining about it. I thought that by itself was impressive.

Noah

Now a five game series with Texas holding home field advantage. Looking forward to a good game tonight. -- Al

On thing that irritates me is pitching that can't shut down the opposition after their own team scores. Seen that failure on both sides tonight. The Cards take a 5-0 lead then the Cards pitcher promptly gives 3 runs back. 5-3 Cards. Then the Cards get those 3 runs right back, 8-3 Cards. Now the Rangers have gotten those 3 runs back again, so it's 8-6 Cards after 5 innings. All of this happening in consecutive innings. Well, either the waited for offenses have awakened or the pitching has gone in the dumper. I think it's the latter. The first two games were excellent pitching duels, this game not so much:rolleyes2: -- Al

On thing that irritates me is pitching that can't shut down the opposition after their own team scores. Seen that failure on both sides tonight. The Cards take a 5-0 lead then the Cards pitcher promptly gives 3 runs back. 5-3 Cards. Then the Cards get those 3 runs right back, 8-3 Cards. Now the Rangers have gotten those 3 runs back again, so it's 8-6 Cards after 5 innings. All of this happening in consecutive innings. Well, either the waited for offenses have awakened or the pitching has gone in the dumper. I think it's the latter. The first two games were excellent pitching duels, this game not so much:rolleyes2: -- Al
Bombs away! Pitch to Pujols with 2 men on base? Texas says yes but... Wrong answer! 3 run dinger and it's 11-6 Cards with no end in sight.:eek: -- Al

Holy cow, a 16-7 final! The Cardinals have taken a two to one game edge after tonight's win. Albert Pujols put on a hitting clinic, going 5-6 with 3 home runs and 6 RBI. That is unbelievable. Only a couple other players have done that in MLB history, hitting 3 homers ina WS game. I believe one of them had a last name of Ruth...^&grin

It will be interesting to see how the game tomorrow winds up and how will the Rangers respond. Might be another offensive onslaught.

Noah

I didn't see the game as we went to the movies (Moneyball, ironically) but it must have been a hell of a pasting. If this is Pujols last few games with the Cards, he's certainly going out in style.

That first home run he hit was incredible, the ball just makes a different sound when it comes off his bat.

The Cardinals are a missed cut off throw away from being up 3-0 in this series, they are clearly the better team so far.

And what is Washington on by the way, what a goofball that guy is, he's not wrapped too tight, never ever seen a manager react to things the way he does...........

An incredible game. Pujols has a game for the ages. The only game I can remember that was close was Reggie's 3 homer game against the Dodgers in 1977. As George said, that first homer was just crushed. A very impressive game for the Cards offense that makes Game 4 a must win for Texas, which obviously wouldn't want to go down 3-1 in games, but also must recover their morale and confidence. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back