Battle for Arnhem.... (6 Viewers)

9th Field Company RE (Airborne)

The 9th Field Company, Royal Engineers (The Shiny 9th), were gliderborne troops who saw action throughout World War II. With roots going back to 1787, the Company became "Airborne" in May 1942. This picture was taken in March 1943, after the tragic Operation Freshman (See the Reading List), and just before the Company sailed to North Africa to prepare for the airborne assault on Sicily (9th July 1943). Operation Market Garden followed in September 1944, when the Company took part in the 1st Airborne Division landings at Arnhem. Of the 194 men who went into the battle in 22 Horsa gliders, 44 were killed in action, 79 were posted missing, and 71 were evacuated across the River Rhine after 9 days of vicious fighting. There are 205 men in the picture above. After Arnhem, the Company was reformed and rumors abounded that they would be going to the Far East to join the fight against Japan. However, with the end of the War in Europe, the Company were sent to Norway as part of a multinational force to oversee the surrender of 400,000 German troops.
The 9th Field Company suffered heavy casualties at Arnhem.

IMG_0662red2.jpg

681red.jpg

046red.jpg

IMG_2913red.jpg

IMG_1623red.jpg

Read:
Airborne Engineers (The Shiny 9th)
by Patrick Pronk
R N Sigmond Publishing
ISBN 90-804718-3-6

The Germans prepare to launch a counter attack from the Reichswald towards Nijmegen

IMG_56001red.jpg

IMG_55861red.jpg

IMG_55841red.jpg

IMG_55821red.jpg

IMG_5641red.jpg

81mm mortar support................

Attachments

• IMG_5618red.jpg
    IMG_5618red.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 193
The road to Eindhoven at Valkenswaard and the Commonwealth Cemetary, taken a few years ago but after 40 years still indicates the difficulties of fighting a battle up the narrow roads, hemmed in by forest.

IMG_6855red.jpg

IMG_6856red.jpg

IMG_6863red.jpg

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2006702&mode=1

Cemetery: VALKENSWAARD WAR CEMETERY Country: Netherlands Locality: Noord-Brabant Location Information: The town of Valkenswaard lies in the south of the Netherlands, approx 10kms south of Eindhoven and close to the Belgian border. From the A2 Eindhoven to Maastricht motorway take exit 33 (Afrit 33) N69 VALKENSWAARD and follow the direction VALKENSWAARD. Continue for approx 11kms, passing through the town of Valkenswaard and following signs for N69 HASSELT. The cemetery can be found on the right hand side and is signposted. The cemetery address is:- Luikerweg 5554 Valkenswaard Netherlands GPS Location is:- N 51 18 43 E 05 25 31 Historical Information: Valkenswaard was the first village to be liberated on the main line of the British advance into Holland in September 1944. The cemetery, which lies in a pinewood, contains over 220 graves, almost all of them are those of men who fell in the fighting in the woods around Valkenswaard during that month. All the men buried here belonged to the forces of the United Kingdom. No. of Identified Casualties: 216

Nice pics especially those with the trio of HB panthers
Mitch

The newsreel cameramen were there filming the entry of panzer grenadiers to Arnhem

012op1.jpg

in half tracks

and with StuG III and IV armoured support

014op1w.jpg

019op1w.jpg

019op2w.jpg

0186op1w.jpg

Great shots Kevin. I really like the black and white photos.

You are just amazing!!

Couple things- have you considered using the Buildarama camo nets for the 88?? I am going to get one for my American 155 someday.

I really really enjoy the overall layout of your table. I have been wrestling with how I want mine to look. I am sort of in a quandry though. I have the older KC normandy village and am trying to incorporate that into a village scene. I am pretty happy with what I have mapped out. It's just that the doggone things have a 1 inch base- so they would "raise" up from the table- which means I am going to have to put a foam base down and cut out the area for the buildings. I am considering just selling the village and buying the JG buildings like you have.

How large is this layout? My WW2 dio, when finished, will be the size of a plywood sheet- 8' long by 4' wide. Any chance you can take a large "overview" picture where we can see the entire battlefield??

Most kindly,
CC

You are just amazing!!

Couple things- have you considered using the Buildarama camo nets for the 88?? I am going to get one for my American 155 someday.

I really really enjoy the overall layout of your table. I have been wrestling with how I want mine to look. I am sort of in a quandry though. I have the older KC normandy village and am trying to incorporate that into a village scene. I am pretty happy with what I have mapped out. It's just that the doggone things have a 1 inch base- so they would "raise" up from the table- which means I am going to have to put a foam base down and cut out the area for the buildings. I am considering just selling the village and buying the JG buildings like you have.

How large is this layout? My WW2 dio, when finished, will be the size of a plywood sheet- 8' long by 4' wide. Any chance you can take a large "overview" picture where we can see the entire battlefield??

Most kindly,
CC

Chris

I have no experience of buildarama, I use mainly JGM, but take your point about camo nets, would be useful.

There is no 'battlefield' I am afraid, there are a number of 'sets' that have been created on both sides of the Atlantic over the past four or five years - remember that most items shown are not mine, alas.

Meanwhile, Frost and 2 Para were cut off at the Bridge and a ring like an extended thumb with the base at the Rhine was being formed around the main force.

I say old chap, it is getting rather warm around here, can't you go any faster????

IMG_6674red.jpg

Nice pics especially those with the trio of HB panthers
Mitch

Great shots Kevin. I really like the black and white photos.

Mitch, thanks for the comments, I still like those panthers the best.

WWiibuff - thank you I enjoy your dioramas too. Sorry for not replying to you both before.

Recon from Guards armoured check the map - Where the Heck are we?

Attachments

• IMG_66971red.jpg
    IMG_66971red.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back