Battle for Arnhem.... (3 Viewers)

Ref: Battleground Europe - Operation Market Garden Hell’s Highway - By Tim Saunders

By midnight of the 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] September 1944, XXX Corps’ route north was again clear.

1196rcsrz.JPG

The enemy had been driven away from positions on the immediate eastern flank. If left there, they could have interfered with the traffic on Hell’s Highway.

IMG_0131csrz.JPG

IMG_8325xrrsc.JPG

Although the British VIII Corps was advancing more quickly, the Germans were able to complete the removal of the eastern units of their own accord.

IMG_0752 - rcsL 0.JPG

Kampfgruppe Walther had lost twenty percent of its armour and twenty-five percent of its infantry, so on the evening of 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] September, LXXXVIII Korps ordered it to disengage and move to new defensive positions in the Venlo area.

IMG_2005cscx.JPG

The following is an excerpt from:

The War Diary: 5th Battalion COLDSTREAM GUARDS, Jan - Dec 1944

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?thread...n-coldstream-guards-jan-dec-1944.33691/page-5

1944 September 23

0630 hours

In the early morning the situation was as follows:-

The enemy were found to be holding the LEVEL CROSSING at 510404 and the area to the South in strength.
They were also reported on the LEVEL CROSSING at 538421 and in the village of VOKEL 5640.
VEGHEL itself is held by troops of 50th DIVISION.

The GRENADIER GUARDS Group was ordered to attack down the Centre Line towards VEGHEL starting at 0930 hours, and as soon as UDEN was clear of their transport the COLDSTREAM GUARDS Group is to pass through and clear VOKEL to the South East.

693rcsr.JPG

0900 hours

The Commanding Officer gave out orders:-

The Battalion is to clear the Centre Line by clearing the enemy out of VOKEL.

The COLDSTREAM GUARDS Group will move in the following order:-

No. 3 Squadron
No. 1 Squadron carrying No. 1 Company on the tanks,
Battalion H.Q. of both Battalions
No. 2 Squadron (less one Troop)
No. 4 Squadron
No. 4 Company
R.A.P.
Support Company
F.2. Echelon

The Battalion will move off as soon as Brigade inform us that UDEN is clear. The leading Squadron will go as far down the road to UDEN as possible, and then the Company/Squadron Group will be called forward to deal with whatever enemy are found to be holding things up.

The column moved off at 1045 hours and at 1130 hours reported that they had reached the WOOD at 5541 and were meeting strong enemy opposition from the houses and heath area just to the West of VOKEL.

The Commanding Officer then moved up the 1 Squadron/1 Company Group and the Command Post to behind the wood, and gave out orders for the attack on VOKEL.

At 1310 hours No. 1 Company will advance from their F.U.P. behind the wood and close up on a barrage from the Heavy Mortar Platoon which is coming down on VOKEL from 1250 hours.

From there they will be helped on to their objective by fire from No. 2 Squadron now in position and a Section of 3” Mortars under command of the Company.

As soon as the village is cleared No. 1 Squadron will move up to support them in holding the village.

The attack went in at 1310 hours and by 1400 hours the Company reported that they were in the outskirts of the village and meeting strong opposition.

They were also troubled by heavy mortar fire put down by the enemy just North of the village. However, the enemy mortars were successfully located and silenced by a heavy concentration from our Field Artillery.

IMGP9407 - rs 0.JPG

During the attack the Company Commander Major The Lord LONG was killed and the other Officer in the Company wounded.

At 1500 hours the tanks reported that No. 1 Company was now firmly in possession of the village and that only a few Germans were still holding out.

The Commanding Officer then ordered No. 4 Company to clear up the Wood to the Left of the road, and No. 1 Squadron to go round the village and cut the road to LANGENHEUVEL.

Patrols of HONEY tanks went through the village to the South and reported that the enemy were withdrawing towards BOEKEL in large numbers

IMG_8930sr.JPG

and TYPHOONs were ordered to go and deal with them.

188sr1 (2).JPG

1700 hours

Enemy Artillery has been very quick to shell any villages known to be held lately,

IMGP9533 - rcs 01.JPG

and accordingly it was decided to draw back behind VOKEL at dusk, and the Battalion took up a final position as follows:-

No. 1 Company on the Right of the ROAD at 555413

No. 4 Company in front of the wood on the Left of the ROAD at 550481.

The Patrols cover the roads into VOKEL till dark and then withdraw Battalion H.Q. at 550414.

The GRENADIER GUARDS Group attack down to VEGHEL was also successful and the Centre Line was open to traffic once more.

The departure of Kampfgruppe Walther over the next thirty-six hours removed the last significant threat to the eastern flank of Hell’s Highway.

Panther takes cover in a wood and the crew discusses what next ....

IMG_4435red.JPG

Troops grab some grub ....

IMG_3303qared.JPG

Paras pull back, hitching a ride when they can ....

IMGP3678-2sr.JPG

Panzer grenadiers are about to move out ....

IMGP4794-rsc1.JPG

IMGP4866-cr2s.JPG

The Allies considered that the situation in 101st Airborne Division’s area had been restored, but the situation was still in the balance to the north.

On the day the spearhead of 43rd Wessex Division broke out of their bridgehead at Oousterhout on The Island, between the Waal at Nijmegen and the Rhine ....

568csr.JPG

Hell’s Highway had been closed for thirty-five vital hours .....

IMG_0227rcsrx.JPG

5th Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry made a dash across the Island and covered ten miles in thirty minutes to reach the Rhine at Driel .....

IMGP5173rrsx.JPG

IMGP3109rccsx.JPG

.... supported by 4/7 Dragoon Guards.

175redcrop.jpg

test - I am a luddite but this seemed hard.

Are the photos going to become as large as they used to be or have I reduced photos to a larger format for nothing?

Attachments

• IMG_1547csr.JPG
    IMG_1547csr.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 5
Unfortunately, the vital road was cut behind them at Veghel,

which left both guns ....

View attachment 339713

.... and infantry critically short of ammunition and supplies.

View attachment 339716

View attachment 339718

View attachment 339719

The options open to General Horrocks were becoming extremely limited.

View attachment 339717

Ref: Battleground Europe - Operation Market Garden

Hell’s Highway - By Tim Saunders
Photos in this message look very good. Like your thread a lot, pitty that the photos in messages 1902 to 1906 do not look that great at first sight. Anyway I stay true to this thread even if you got to draw the illustrations by hand. What ever you did in message 1907, the photos look great here and do not have to be loaded - which somewhat sucks .... keep doing that so and tell others about the how to as well.
Kind Regards
Wolfgang

Photos in this message look very good. Like your thread a lot, pitty that the photos in messages 1902 to 1906 do not look that great at first sight. Anyway I stay true to this thread even if you got to draw the illustrations by hand. What ever you did in message 1907, the photos look great here and do not have to be loaded - which somewhat sucks .... keep doing that so and tell others about the how to as well.
Kind Regards
Wolfgang
Dear Wolfgang

Thanks for your kind comments, I am glad you like it.

The smaller photos were transferred from the old site - nothing to do with me. They do get bigger if you click on them.

In the new forum appearance thread I asked and was told how to do the photos inside the text. I had almost given up as I tried to do it in the K&C photos thread and couldn't manage it. You use 'insert image' on the top icon menu (which I had not noticed as it is different to the old site). Like this....

IMGP4738-1rcs.JPG

If you use the 'attach files' at the bottom you get this.....

So thanks to Rich for helping this old duffer with this tech stuff. Hope this helps, if not ask Rich.

All the best

Kevin

Attachments

• IMGP5822-rs-c1.JPG
    IMGP5822-rs-c1.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 2
One problem I seem to have is with a draft freezing after I add an attachment (the guy in the Tobruk bunker above) and try 'preview', so I could not alter it - what am I doing wrong?

One problem I seem to have is with a draft freezing after I add an attachment (the guy in the Tobruk bunker above) and try 'preview', so I could not alter it - what am I doing wrong?
It froze again with this post after preview, but I did not add an attachment.

?????????

Dawn – 24 September 1944

After a relatively quiet night, the first light of dawn struggled through a gloom of low cloud and rain.

397 - rsr 0.JPG

On Hell’s Highway, XXX Corps traffic crawled forward.

1053 - rcsr 0.JPG

Drivers starved of proper rest struggled to keep their eyes open. Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) driver Stanley Winton of 43 Ordnance Field Park said:

‘Since we were ordered on to the Centre Line [on 21 September], I only had a few hours cat-nap in the cab of my American two and a half ton truck. We were constantly warned to be ready to move but if we moved at all, it would only be for a short distance before we halted again.’

Crews grab a brew and some grub during another halt.

IMGP06121csxr.JPG

Meanwhile, on the western flank of Hell’s Highway, some very tired American paratroopers ....

IMG_1047 - crs 0.JPG

.... and Household Cavalrymen of A Squadron 2/HCR warned that the enemy were massing for an attack.

IMGP8499 - rsc 0.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back