Battle for Arnhem.... (2 Viewers)

Umm, yeah, that one guy is a Ranger :D:p

Brilliant Kevin!! You are a master at this

OOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSS:eek:

These yankees all look the same to me :eek: (now I'll be in trouble)

Just for you Chris, the boys (yanks) are back in town, I was originally saving these for Normandy, but hey we are amongst friends:rolleyes::D

I say old chap, jolly good bowling action, give him a yorker

2791red.jpg

Time for tiffin, one lump or two vicar

1051red.jpg

Which one is the ranger?

1071red.jpg

c'mon baby light my fire

2741red.jpg

Now then, see that wood pigeon on the left?
Bu@@er that, I've got a bazooka
Cheeky

1211red.jpg

Nicely. Nothing like a good British traffic jam. Good to see your still working those PBI in the background.

As if.............................................

Meanwhile Pathe news covers the splendid story of our heroic chaps magnificent show in Holland - I say :cool:

Oh well, time for a quick fag, could murder a cup o' char though:D

britred3.jpg

Why is it always us? My bl@@dy feet are killing me :mad:

britred15.jpg

britred13.jpg

Why can't they stack this stuff neatly? :(
Chitty for everything, endless bl@@dy lists, :eek:
Gordon Bennett

britred4.jpg

'Ere, 'ave you seen my ferret? 'Ees called Freddy. I'm sure ee went down that drain.:confused:

1531red (2).jpg

Ahhhh!!!!! It's ever so nice to see you at play again Kevin..........The Lt.

so many guys on this forum are just super talented at this thing- would love to see one of you guys shot off some of these pics to WW2 magazine or something and tell them "I found these old pics when my dad/grandfather passed away" and see if they could get published as authentic. I've seen a few that could probably pass......

There is a lot of talent here on this forum.

Absolutely great stuff, Kevin, as always!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Great stuff. I'm enjoying the commentary.:)

Here here!!

Ahhhh!!!!! It's ever so nice to see you at play again Kevin..........The Lt.

so many guys on this forum are just super talented at this thing- would love to see one of you guys shot off some of these pics to WW2 magazine or something and tell them "I found these old pics when my dad/grandfather passed away" and see if they could get published as authentic. I've seen a few that could probably pass......

There is a lot of talent here on this forum.

Thanks guys. Blimey I did a multiquote!:eek: Not that much talent Chris, especially at this new fangled wireless stuff.......

Meanwhile........

Going to the dance tonight luv?

You askin'?

I'm askin'

I'm dancing

096red1.jpg

NB must be said in a Liverpool accent (Scouse)

Across the canal Jens and Peter were moaning about the size of their rocket.........

0100red.jpg

Still, could have been worse

140red.jpg

And they were amongst freunden

0132red.jpg

0142red.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin, fantastic photos!:cool: Thanks for sharing!:)

Thanks.

Meanwhile the PBBI (Poor bl££dy British Infantry) continued to slog their way towards 1st Airborne. A particularly hard fight was had in Njimegen on the approach to the bridge.

In a standard infantry squad, the section leader was a corporal armed with a sten gun.......

0471red.jpg

Every platoon had a PIAT, see earlier in this thread. Here a PIAT crew (one carrying the spring loaded launcher, the other PIAT bombs, pick their way through rubble, guided by the corporal, to find a clear shot at a tank blocking the advance........

015red.jpg

The section leader realises the way is blocked by German infantry so doubles back to the road with the British armour on it to warn the tanks to stop and seek a different way round for the PIAT.......

034red.jpg

The crew do as they they are told, mumbling with complaints about how heavy the kit is under their breath and find a different way around the protecting infantry

091red.jpg

to a spot about two hundred yards from the tank and side on...................................the spring loaded PIAT does not give their position away, so the first anyone knows about it is a tank going boom:eek:

The corporal has now taken up a view in a damaged factory with the section bren and looks on with satisfaction.........

087red.jpg

Meanwile up the Dutch coast, a V2 launch site was busy................

Blimey, this thing uses more gas than an MP's backside:p

2481red.jpg

Hey guys, do you think if we do a good job here we can get to work on the M25?;)

082red.jpg

How come I have to pump the bl@@dy thing by hand?:mad:

152red.jpg

I know where to put this pole, Sieg Heil:rolleyes:

2431red.jpg

I can't wait until the extension is finished :cool:

2501red.jpg

Having said this many times before and saying it again for it's well deserve it's always a treat an pleasure to see you at play Kevin...........Joe

Funny captions! Still like those Figarti British troops though have never been able to get round to buying them. If Clive has a new year sale I'm up for getting them!

Funny captions! Still like those Figarti British troops though have never been able to get round to buying them. If Clive has a new year sale I'm up for getting them!

A New Year sale..................hhhmmmmm.............here come the flying pigs (in formation)

or - a mossie raid on 1st Parachute Army blocking 30 Corps

Target ahead

IMG_4407red.jpg

Mossie dives into a strafing run

IMG_4411red.jpg

Unloads bombs and guns

IMG_4430red.jpg

Climbs out of the dive

IMG_4448red.JPG

And turns for home

IMG_4455red.jpg

In September 1944, Market Garden was launched against the retreating Wehrmacht consisting of old men and bicycles, to 'bounce' across the major river obstacles into Germany through Northern Holland and end the war before Christmas by taking the Ruhr industrial area from behind.

Three airborne divisions, US 101 and 82 plus the previously untried 1st British Airborne (they missed out on D Day) were dropped as an airborne carpet, taking and holding key roads and bridges on route.

British 30 Corps were to relieve them by puching through stiff resistance based on defences across canals in Northern Belgium and Southern Holland, driving down the road through Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem - a massive operation, becoming more complex as the Germans demonstrated yet again their amazing ability to regroup and fight flexibly in 'kampfegruppe', wherever the threat appeared.

Allied aircover was not as dominant as normal, due to the fact that Holland was covered in Luftwaffe flak units as it was on the main bomber route into Germany. The weather was also a factor with fog.

Finally, the German Falschirmjager had tried a similar move in 1940 against the relatively small Dutch Army - although it had the element of complete surprise and was successful, they still took fairly heavy casualties.

And so it begins............allied medium bombers prepare on British airfields, and 1st Airborne begin to load in the massive Horsa Glider.

Dear "Panda1Gen":

I just looked at your splendid photos for the first time today. Really enjoyed all of them!

"Iron Brigade"

Fantastic stuff.
So much to enjoy about this thread.

Welcome to the forum mate- our "Panda" is one of the coolest dudes on the forum, if not in the hobby itself- his expertise is second to none.

I dunno Kevin- Jerry doesn't look too concerned about the bombing run mate- no one really looks like they are scrambling for cover :D:eek::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back