BB030 German King Tiger Tank - SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (1 Viewer)

My concern is the diminishing value and increasing cost of model Panzers. K&C produced a decent Kingtiger in 2008 with 3 figures BBG016. TCS produced a decent Kingtiger in 2011 with 2 figures. 2018 FL produces a decent Kingtiger with no figures! The three Kingtigers produced in the last decade cost more in each iteration and had less value due to reduced features, figures etc.
A negative trend IMO. I had hoped that FL would offer more in terms of features than it has, given the price point. ED features metal tracks, is this beyond the capabilities of FL?

I can purchase whichever Panzer I choose; but the value has to be their to justify the cost. I apply the same criteria to whatever I purchase. The value must justify the cost. Models with more features have greater intrinsic value than those that have less. The majority of my Panzer collection is Figarti. Since Figarti is no more I was in hope that FL could equal or exceed the quality and value of Figarti models; but such is not yet the case. I hope FL Panzers will improve over time or another up and coming manufacturer will meet my expectations.

The VS Tank Kingtiger is my current favorite model; since it is very accurate and has features and functions not available in 1/30 scale polystone or mixed media. The tricolor camouflage pattern is superb and the running gear actually works.

Well I guess that's the beauty of the hobby; features and material that are important to one collector are not important to others.

Sorry if this version of the Tiger II does not meet your standards in a tank. I think it's unrealistic to expect every manufacturer to produce items with the same material and features. What one manufacturer does has no bearing on what another does and to expect that is very narrow thinking.

McDonalds doesn't cook their burgers the same way Burger King does, nor does Burger King cook theirs the same way Wendy's does; if you want a McDonald's hamburger, you wouldn't go to Burger King to buy one now would you?

Based on the fact that about 100 of them sold in two days, I'd say others do not feel the same way you do.

Good luck with your Collectors Showcase Tiger II's.

Last edited:
My concern is the diminishing value and increasing cost of model Panzers. K&C produced a decent Kingtiger in 2008 with 3 figures BBG016. TCS produced a decent Kingtiger in 2011 with 2 figures. 2018 FL produces a decent Kingtiger with no figures! The three Kingtigers produced in the last decade cost more in each iteration and had less value due to reduced features, figures etc.
A negative trend IMO. I had hoped that FL would offer more in terms of features than it has, given the price point. ED features metal tracks, is this beyond the capabilities of FL?

You can't compare the price of a tank made in 2018 with the cost of tanks made in 2008 and 2011 respectively.

Also, the metal tracks you speak of on the Eagle Design tanks IMO are not very good; the tracks on the grey short barrel Mark IV are hot garbage, they look like plastic tracks that were glued on in sections as you'd expect to see on model kits.

The paint job on this King Tiger is stunning, it was expensive to manufacture. The price is in line with First Legion tanks; again, First Legion collectors voted with their wallets on this one, it's now officially sold out.

How many First Legion tanks do you own by the way, let us know.

Just got back from vacation to find out something I've wanted for years has been released and sold out before I even found out about it.

Well, here's hoping another version gets released, preferably slightly winterized.

Thats what happened last time with the FL Tiger I and the price was less too! Good Luck.

Just got back from vacation to find out something I've wanted for years has been released and sold out before I even found out about it.

Well, here's hoping another version gets released, preferably slightly winterized.

First Legion is sold out, that includes the preorders his dealers put in, so check with your First Legion dealer of choice as he/she may still have one available for you.

If you buy direct from FL, then yes, you are out of luck.

Thats what happened last time with the FL Tiger I and the price was less too! Good Luck.

The price was less because it was a Tiger I vs a Tiger II, a smaller tank with a less intricate camouflage scheme.

I don't know why this does not register with you.

The price was less because it was a Tiger I vs a Tiger II, a smaller tank with a less intricate camouflage scheme.

I don't know why this does not register with you.

In this case I think Katana was referring to the direct from FL second release Tiger I that was only $295.

As for the other King Tiger comments, well, that's just Katana. He consistently thinks that 1/32 Froces of Valor or 21st Century Toys tanks are better than FL items and that metal tracks are the end all be all as far as quality. It's a bit of a broken record every time there is a new FL release.

The comparison to the previous K&C and TCS King Tigers really means nothing, as the scale accuracy, detail accuracy, paint schemes, weathering and detail crispness o those models are not even close to being in the same league as FL.

Amazing how some people have to attribute false statements to others in order to try to win arguments. I have never stated that FOV or 21st Century armor models are superior to FL. FL makes excellent armor the equal of Figarti. However FL prices are excessive in comparison to equivalent Figarti models. Set a Figarti and FL Panther G side by side and describe the features that justify
twice the price! I have compared the Figarti and FL Tiger I and their is no significant difference in quality. I find the Zimmerit and Camouflage superior on the Figarti model. The Zimmerit and colors are more refined to my eye. Given that these are subjective determinations and taste will vary with the observer.

Minichamps did superb metal tracks for its diecast metal 1/35 scale Panzers 18 years ago. 1/35 scale modelers use Friulmodel metal tracks to enhance the realism of their models. Tamiya 1/16 scale RC Panzers are available with metal tracks, sprocketrs and wheels. I see no reason why FL could not use metal tracks to increase the value of their models; it would help justify the price IMO.

In this case I think Katana was referring to the direct from FL second release Tiger I that was only $295.

As for the other King Tiger comments, well, that's just Katana. He consistently thinks that 1/32 Froces of Valor or 21st Century Toys tanks are better than FL items and that metal tracks are the end all be all as far as quality. It's a bit of a broken record every time there is a new FL release.

The comparison to the previous K&C and TCS King Tigers really means nothing, as the scale accuracy, detail accuracy, paint schemes, weathering and detail crispness o those models are not even close to being in the same league as FL.

Last edited:
George from your disparaging comment I must assume you do not appreciate TCS Panzers. TCS has greatly advanced Toy Soldier Armor features over the years. Better tracks and sprockets, the damaged track feature, better detail in polystone moldings, opening/closing hatches, photoetch parts, interior details etc. Many features of polystone models that are appreciated today originated with TCS. TCS has produced innovative products at very competitive prices and maintained those prices for many years. Other Toy Soldier manufacturers should hope to be as creative as TCS has been!

What one manufacturer does affects other manufacturers, HB and TCS improved track and running gear detail; which has been adopted by other manufacturers. Figarti developed a multi media construction process that has influenced FL. Developments in 1/35 scale polystyrene kits has influenced the use of photoetch parts, metal tracks, metal barrels etc. No single model manufacturer lives in a vacuum; but stands on the shoulders of those who have gone before IMO.

Well I guess that's the beauty of the hobby; features and material that are important to one collector are not important to others.

Sorry if this version of the Tiger II does not meet your standards in a tank. I think it's unrealistic to expect every manufacturer to produce items with the same material and features. What one manufacturer does has no bearing on what another does and to expect that is very narrow thinking.

McDonalds doesn't cook their burgers the same way Burger King does, nor does Burger King cook theirs the same way Wendy's does; if you want a McDonald's hamburger, you wouldn't go to Burger King to buy one now would you?

Based on the fact that about 100 of them sold in two days, I'd say others do not feel the same way you do.

Good luck with your Collectors Showcase Tiger II's.

George from your disparaging comment I must assume you do not appreciate TCS Panzers. TCS has greatly advanced Toy Soldier Armor features over the years. Better tracks and sprockets, the damaged track feature, better detail in polystone moldings, opening/closing hatches, photoetch parts, interior details etc. Many features of polystone models that are appreciated today originated with TCS. TCS has produced innovative products at very competitive prices and maintained those prices for many years. Other Toy Soldier manufacturers should hope to be as creative as TCS has been!

What one manufacturer does affects other manufacturers, HB and TCS improved track and running gear detail; which has been adopted by other manufacturers. Figarti developed a multi media construction process that has influenced FL. Developments in 1/35 scale polystyrene kits has influenced the use of photoetch parts, metal tracks, metal barrels etc. No single model manufacturer lives in a vacuum; but stands on the shoulders of those who have gone before IMO.

I mentioned TCS because I assumed they were one of the companies you were referring to who's made a Tiger II within the past 8 to 10 years.

Again, if their product is in your wheelhouse, good for you.

FYI George the prebuilt Kingtigers made in the last decade range from 1/72 to 1/16 scale. The best in terms of detail and accuracy are from Dragon in 1/72 and 1/35, Hobby Master 1/48, Minichamps 1/35, K&C and FL 1/30, TCS 1/28, VS Tank 1/24, Tamiya and FOV 1/16. The VS Tank and Tamiya models are highly detailed RC models with many operating features; but they make excellent static display models too. 75mm and 120mm figures are available for these models. The FOV 1/16 KT came with metal tracks. The same tracks are also used on the Tamiya and other 1/16 RC KT models which have metal sprockets and metal rimmed wheels. A lot of very sophisticated Kingtiger models are available; not just those associated with Toy Soldiers.

I did not include the toy 1/32 Kingtigers i.e. FOV, 21st century and New Ray. The FOV Jagdtiger and Jagdpanther are quite nice. The FOV M26 Pershing actually has better detail then the Figart M26 so the 1/32 scale models can sometimes be quite nice. Good models are where you find them and even good companies can make serious mistakes!

I mentioned TCS because I assumed they were one of the companies you were referring to who's made a Tiger II within the past 8 to 10 years.

Again, if their product is in your wheelhouse, good for you.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the SS tank riders to get released, they look amazing. So versatile and and will make for an excellent display with the FL King Tiger.

FL%20King%20Tiger%20Riders_zpstjayk8bk.jpg

I can't wait for the SS tank riders to get released, they look amazing. So versatile and and will make for an excellent display with the FL King Tiger.

FL%20King%20Tiger%20Riders_zpstjayk8bk.jpg

Reminds me of a famous photo from the battle:

King_Tiger_Tank.jpg

-Moe

That’s what the us troops said about the Peiper Kampfgruppe, too. :D

At $465 I passed on the FL King Tiger....(Bad timming of the release for my personal finances this month)....No worries.....But I will buy some FL Tank Riders to go with my FL Camo Panther :wink2:

At $465 I passed on the FL King Tiger....(Bad timming of the release for my personal finances this month)....No worries.....But I will buy some FL Tank Riders to go with my FL Camo Panther :wink2:

You should have bought two and resold one to cover the cost of the other :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back