BB030 German King Tiger Tank - SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (1 Viewer)

The picture above with the tank riders taken from Matt's cellphone looks spot on for Olivgrun. No issue at all with the green.

My credit card got charged for the King Tiger, so the tanks should be in collectors hands in a week or so based off past purchases. I'll post pics of it when it gets here.

Review also please:salute:::salute:::salute::

The picture above with the tank riders taken from Matt's cellphone looks spot on for Olivgrun. No issue at all with the green.

Actually that photo was taken with the same camera and lightbox setup as the production photos, not my cell phone. The only difference between that image and our catalog images is that the blue background is removed and then it's slightly color corrected. The raw images have too much yellow in them but it's not noticeable with the blue background. When you remove the blue background it becomes noticeable. But that image I posted is from the same setup as the catalog images just totally unedited.

Cant wait to have mine, a special thanks to Bill Sager, to have found one for me.
Cheers Bill. 😃👋👍

The KT has arrived

Attachments

• DSC_0707.JPG
    DSC_0707.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 662
'Ambush' my all time favourite camo, looks great on this beast of a machine. Robin.

OMG! That looks huge! Hahaha! My wife is going to kill me when mine arrives.

You could always put it on the dining room table with a candle at each end, it would make one hell of a center piece :salute::.

The length should be less than 12 inches and the width about 5 inches at 1/30 scale; not so large! Photos can be deceiving as to actual size. Can any one comment on the color proportions of the camouflage pattern. The ratio of green to brown and yellow seems to favor green too much. Usually the ratio of the colors is about even i.e. 33% Brown, 33% green and 33% yellow. Late war the pattern was applied by the factory and the pattern was relativly consistent with any single manufacturer.

I think you may find the Tanks-Encyclopedia.com website more informative. The tricolor camouflage of KT turret number 222 shows the correct color ratios and the correct colors. None have a light green color. I have four Henschel Turret King tigers in my collection all are in tricolor camouflage from four different manufacturers. None have a light green color and the color ratios are similar to those shown on the Tanks-Encyclopedia website. The colors were factory applied by the manufacturers and the KT's in the BOB were fresh from the factory; so even the weathering is questionable IMO. The question of pattern and colors is specific to the KT's that were engaged in the BOB 12-1944 to 1-1945; which this model is supposed to represent.

You might want to glance at the following web site for more detailed information regarding WWII German armored colors: https://panzerworld.com/german-armor-camouflage.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

I think you may find the Tanks-Encyclopedia.com website more informative. The tricolor camouflage of KT turret number 222 shows the correct color ratios and the correct colors. None have a light green color. I have four Henschel Turret King tigers in my collection all are in tricolor camouflage from four different manufacturers. None have a light green color and the color ratios are similar to those shown on the Tanks-Encyclopedia website. The colors were factory applied by the manufacturers and the KT's in the BOB were fresh from the factory; so even the weathering is questionable IMO. The question of pattern and colors is specific to the KT's that were engaged in the BOB 12-1944 to 1-1945; which this model is supposed to represent.

From your recommended reference site . Here is a Tiger II of the SS Schwere Pz.Abt.501, Ardennes, December 1944.

fullsizeoutput_63.jpeg

"The famous “ambush pattern”, or Tarnanstrich, was first issued on 19 August 1944. Over a Dunkelgelb base, the green and brown were factory-painted (not sprayed) in patches, with characteristic smaller spots of opposite tones. The crews, upon reception or at the depot, also freely improvised or improved the camouflage, which added to the diversity observed through photos of the time."

Very interesting that last sentence. :wink2:

Thank you for this post. Please note the dark green and the proportional coverage of the three colors. King Tigers with the three color pattern and the production turret are displayed at The Panzer Museum Munster Germany, The Swiss Military Museum Full Switzerland and the Bovington Museum Britain. The camouflage pattern colors and distribution of the three museum King tiger are similar to the posted drawing from Tank-Encyclopedia. com. The light green color is not representitive of the color used on KT's at the BOB according to the majority of source material available. Can anyone provide a photo of a KT tricolor camouflage pattern at the BOB using the light green color? I would really like to see a valid reference to authenticate the use of this color.

From your recommended reference site . Here is a Tiger II of the SS Schwere Pz.Abt.501, Ardennes, December 1944.

View attachment 235274

"The famous “ambush pattern”, or Tarnanstrich, was first issued on 19 August 1944. Over a Dunkelgelb base, the green and brown were factory-painted (not sprayed) in patches, with characteristic smaller spots of opposite tones. The crews, upon reception or at the depot, also freely improvised or improved the camouflage, which added to the diversity observed through photos of the time."

Very interesting that last sentence. :wink2:

A few more photos. Sorry for picture quality.

Attachments

• DSC_0709.JPG
    DSC_0709.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0708.JPG
    DSC_0708.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0706.JPG
    DSC_0706.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_0704.JPG
    DSC_0704.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 522
That's a real beauty of a tank. Thanks for the pics and congrats!

Joe

Looks great to me and I can't wait until mine arrives.

According to Jentz and Doyle, the late war factory camo was sprayed on with thin coats at the factory. Olivgrun appears lighter when thinly coated.

Here's a pic of a surviving Panther G schurzen panel and storage bin in original colors. You can note the variation in paint thickness is evident. The FL color looks pretty close to this.

I generally prefer a slightly darker Olivgrun myself and think JJD nailed the color on their Jagdpanther, but the FL color is not bad and just a lighter variation of that shade.

panther-side-plate-mirko-bayerl_zpsgxsjd5ei.jpg

tank20panther_zpsq6ammsgz.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back