BB030 German King Tiger Tank - SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (1 Viewer)

There's also variation/modulation in the green on the FL King Tiger. Some areas are darker and some are lighter.

The darker sections blend almost seamlessly with the green from the JJD Jagpanther and everyone seemed to like the camo on that.

Here's a pic of a JJD schurzen panel on the FL King Tiger.

IMG_7073_zps4tnojggd.jpg

Thank you for this post. Please note the dark green and the proportional coverage of the three colors. King Tigers with the three color pattern and the production turret are displayed at The Panzer Museum Munster Germany, The Swiss Military Museum Full Switzerland and the Bovington Museum Britain.”

Funny I looked at loads of king Tiger Tank photos on the internet last night painted in museums with ambush camouflage and no two look the same so who to say what is right and what is wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Jentz and Doyle, the late war factory camo was sprayed on with thin coats at the factory. Olivgrun appears lighter when thinly coated.

Here's a pic of a surviving Panther G schurzen panel and storage bin in original colors. You can note the variation in paint thickness is evident. The FL color looks pretty close to this.

I generally prefer a slightly darker Olivgrun myself and think JJD nailed the color on their Jagdpanther, but the FL color is not bad and just a lighter variation of that shade.

panther-side-plate-mirko-bayerl_zpsgxsjd5ei.jpg

tank20panther_zpsq6ammsgz.jpg
Very helpful photos Steve

Those are some great pictures. I really like that tank although it will not join my collection unfortunately.

The diorama is wonderful. Who did that one? The evergreens are very nice. The bases for the figures are well covered.

Thank you for this post. Please note the dark green and the proportional coverage of the three colors. King Tigers with the three color pattern and the production turret are displayed at The Panzer Museum Munster Germany, The Swiss Military Museum Full Switzerland and the Bovington Museum Britain.”

Funny I looked at loads of king Tiger Tank photos on the internet last night painted in museums with ambush camouflage and no two look the same so who to say what is right and what is wrong?
I agree and I have seen the one in Bovington and the FL version sure reminds me of that. Looks like a really nice tank!
TD

Those are some great pictures. I really like that tank although it will not join my collection unfortunately.

The diorama is wonderful. Who did that one? The evergreens are very nice. The bases for the figures are well covered.

Thanks!
The base is a Buildarama mat that I modified a few years back and placed over a foam base. The trees are an assortment that I've collected and built over the years.
Rick

Interesting comparison with JJD JgPz and very nice images. The FL King Tiger is a stunning model!

Wonderful job, I'm really looking forward to mine arriving tomorrow. I had money set aside for other things but this moved to the top of the list in a hurry, really looking forward to adding the upcoming riders as well.

Hope they make more of the figures then the KT as its gonna take a bit longer for me to get them all, and I think they are gonna sell fast because guys are gonna want to put them on everything.

I agree and I have seen the one in Bovington and the FL version sure reminds me of that. Looks like a really nice tank!
TD

The KT with the production turret at Bovington has a coating of Zimmerit and the RAL 6003 Oliv Grun on it is considerably darker than the FL example, The RAL 8012 Rot Braun and RAL 7028 Dunkelgleb on it are text book examples of the correct color palate. The staff at Bovington are to be commended for producing such an accurate rendering of the German Tricolor Camouflage.
The lighting plays a large part in accurate color rendition; which is why museum to museum variances can occur, even when the correct colors are used. I mentioned in an earlier post that the appearance of the Oliv Grun on the FL model could be affected by the color temperature of the light source used for the photos. Incandescent lighting is better than flash to insure accurate color rendition. Modern image processing programs can shift the color temperature of the subject and increase color saturation to correct for the light source when properly applied.

The attached photos of King Tigers at Bovington and Munster Tank museums show the accurate colors of Oliv Grun, Rot Brun and Dunkelgleb used in tricolor camouflage in late 1944. The Jagdpanther photos show the exotic pattern displayed by an original at the Tank Museum Aberdeen Maryland and documented by color photos. The Bovington Tank Museum restorations emulate this pattern of RAL 3009 Oxidrot undercoating used as a camouflage color with tan and white stripes to comprise a distinctive splinter pattern. Tank Museum staff have done excellent work in recreating WWII camouflage patterns.

bovingtonktd.jpgmunsterlagerkt.jpgaberdeenjagdpanther.jpgbivingtonjagdpanther.jpgbovington-panther-tank.jpg

Thanks!
The base is a Buildarama mat that I modified a few years back and placed over a foam base. The trees are an assortment that I've collected and built over the years.
Rick

Great work Rick

That just your opinion at the end of the day does not mean your right or wrong :wink2:Don’t forget this is a hobby to have fun and by the looks of it the lucky people who own FL king tiger are all happy with there tank and FL must be doing something right as there all sold out !:salute::

The attached photos of King Tigers at Bovington and Munster Tank museums show the accurate colors )
That just your opinion at the end of the day does not mean your right or wrong :wink2:Don’t forget this is a hobby to have fun and by the looks of it the lucky people who own FL king tiger are all happy with there tank and FL must be doing something right as there all sold out !:salute::

I agree Neil, the FL King Tiger looks awesome but the price was way to rich for my blood. I also wonder had Figarti and perhaps JJD released King Tigers around the same time or even earlier, would the FL KT sold out so quickly?? I also think that being that no one had released a KT for such a long time and no one period had released a highly detailed KT, then that may have had a bearing on the FL KT being gobbled up so quickly.

Tom

Their is a lot to what you say Tom; dearth creates demand. The last 1/30-1/28 Kts were the K&C BBG 016 in 2008 and the TCS KTs in 2010, quite a bit ago. The technology of model building has improved quite a bit in the ensuing years and current Panzer models are superior to their predecessors. I think FL did a good job with their KT. The detail is excellent. The JJD Jagdpanther is another example of an excellent state of the art model, that far exceeds its predecessors in detail and quality. I wish FL had taken note of the advanced features that JJD implemented, all hatches open/close, removable Schurtzen, interior detail etc. Given these factors I cannot justify the price differential between FL and JJD. Probably just my Scots heritage!

You can also bet that subsequent FL King Tigers are going to be more expensive than this one.

Oh good gracious, please don’t sully Scots heritage. That has nothing to do with it.

My KT is on the way, and after seeing HR’s excellent review on the HB forum not even Katana’s inane blather can dampen my excitement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back