BB030 German King Tiger Tank - SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (2 Viewers)

It appears to me that the rear idler on this tank (and mine) is too low and should have been higher on the lower hull compared to the last road wheel. Is everybody’s tank like that?

Good eye. That never jumped out at me.

The rear idler is too low and the same level as the last road wheel.

Whomever built the model used the steel wheel Tiger I running gear as the example; as the Tiger I idler is also at the same level as the wheels.

Whomever built the model used the steel wheel Tiger I running gear as the example; as the Tiger I idler is also at the same level as the wheels.

I just noted that the idler on one side is covering the last wheel but on the other side there is some distance between them. Looking at pictures of the real tank it looks like FL got it right!
I am not sure from a functional point of view why this is like this on the real tank!

I am not sure from a functional point of view why this is like this on the real tank!

The vehicle had a torsion-bar suspension, with the structural members offset and extending across the width of the hull:

6mBPdJy.jpg

-Moe

The idlers should not overlap the rear road wheels or be on the same center of rotation. All manufacturers of Toy Soldiers make the occasional error, especially if their products are constructed by third parties. I recall where one manufacturers early production Tiger I used the road wheel configuration of the late production Tiger I. A very obvious error that significantly devalued the model for any collectors who knew what a Tiger I should look like. Proportional errors are common across all manufacturers; the length, width and height can be different scales; if the length is 1/30 and the width is 1/32 and the height is 1/28, what is the true scale? The average would be 32+30+28/3=1/30; but is this realistic? Selectivly enlarging the height of a model can benefit manufactures who make oversize figures; as they will than look more realistic.

A better graphic for illustrative purposes:

1474867420528_meng_model_1_35_german_heavy_tank_sdkfz182_king_tiger_workable_tracks_sps038_sincerehobby.1.jpg

-Moe

Thank you very much for the explanations. So on one side the idler overlaps the wheel and on the other side the first wheel (not sure what it is called) overlaps the second wheel.
At least this is how it looks like from looking at actual pictures.

The sprockets are the wheels in front that drive the tracks and overlap the first road wheel on both sides.

Thank you very much for the explanations. So on one side the idler overlaps the wheel and on the other side the first wheel (not sure what it is called) overlaps the second wheel.
At least this is how it looks like from looking at actual pictures.

On your model, the left, rearmost road wheel should be slightly forward of the same wheel on the model's right side. The most obvious sign of this is the road-wheel's position relative to its respective idler-wheel. See below:

lgardner-161105-581d35eba7937-1024x768.jpeg

lgardner-161105-581d35eb55ba1-768x576.jpeg

-Moe

I want to take a moment to share some thoughts on the vehicle with First Legion/Matt, and briefly explain why I passed on it. The decision really came down to the simulated mud that's been applied to the model. I have two issues with this kind of treatment, particularly as regards the King Tiger.

First, there's no shortage of hard-top roads in Western Europe. This is germane to the vehicle in question, as that's where these things apparently spent most of their service life, on roads, I mean, particularly during the Ardennes operations. Well, after five or ten minutes on a surfaced road, most of the mud will be gone. The vehicle won't be clean, by any means. But, it won't have mud caked on the tracks, either. By "muddying things up," you've effectively limited the settings in which the vehicle can be reasonably employed for display.

The second issue that I have with the mud is more fundamental. The truth is, it can't easily be removed. Had the material NOT been applied, modelers who wish to add faux muck to their vehicles could have done so. However, in this circumstance, anyone who has limited interest in this kind of treatment is simply out of luck. No pun intended, but any such collector is simply stuck with the stuff.;)

Again, this post is really intended as feedback for the manufacturer. I mentioned that I was interested in the set. Mud, or no mud, the replica looks great with the figures, and everyone who purchased one has every right to be proud of their new acquisition. That said, I really hope that First Legion will consider manufacturing any future such issue sans boue!:D

-Moe

Good post Moe. The main reason I passed on this model was the price but I did notice the mud in the tracks which was also a put off for me. Now I read and can see that the rear drive sprocket is also to low which is a negative considering the price that is on this tank. I'm sorry if my criticism offends people that like this tank and have purchased one, these are just my thoughts and opinions. I still consider this an excellent looking KT.

Sorry again that I'm bringing K&C into this discussion, but I'm also critical of the amount of mud that are on the tracks of K&C armoured vehicles. As Moe has stated, much of the time armoured vehicles during WW2 would be on some sort of road or on terrain that doesn't have much mud or none in the case of the desert campaign. The exception perhaps is the Russian campaign which was pretty boggy although that wasn't always the case.

It has always been a bug bear of mine to see K&C desert armoured vehicles caked in mud. I know the reasons why Andy put mud in the tracks, one being strength of the tracks and the other being cost as many of his AK armoured vehicles were made for other theatres of war as well. There may be other reasons as well and as I have been told, the majority of K&C customers don't seem to care and like it that way.

I would prefer no mud regardless of brand and the weathering of the tracks and painted mud (and weathered bare metal etc) around the track guards is good enough for me.

Tom

I have really been enjoying mine today and am very happy I got one of the last. It is beautiful.

I am not normally a mud guy and did not like it in pictures, but I find it really well applied in real life. It is much more nuanced to the naked eye.

I also find the tracks really well done and cannot see how their being metal would improve them.

WhenI bought my first FL panzer way back when (2010 maybe?) I was shocked by the weight, but now prefer it.

I would have done fewer rust effects, but other than that it just seems fantastic.

I have the JJD Jagd, which is really nice, but I think I like this better. Seems just a tad more realistic.

I cannot wait to decorate it with riders and crew.

I have really been enjoying mine today and am very happy I got one of the last. It is beautiful.

I am not normally a mud guy and did not like it in pictures, but I find it really well applied in real life. It is much more nuanced to the naked eye.

I also find the tracks really well done and cannot see how their being metal would improve them.

WhenI bought my first FL panzer way back when (2010 maybe?) I was shocked by the weight, but now prefer it.

I would have done fewer rust effects, but other than that it just seems fantastic.

I have the JJD Jagd, which is really nice, but I think I like this better. Seems just a tad more realistic.

I cannot wait to decorate it with riders and crew.

I could not agree more, I received my tank yesterday and every time I look at it I discover something new...the attention to detail is excellent. Having built numerous 1/35 scale tanks over the years and considering myself a good modeler I am astonished that a "mass production" tank can achieve this level of detail.

I could not agree more, I received my tank yesterday and every time I look at it I discover something new...the attention to detail is excellent. Having built numerous 1/35 scale tanks over the years and considering myself a good modeler I am astonished that a "mass production" tank can achieve this level of detail.

I'm also very impressed with mine. I grew up playing on the real things at Aberdeen Proving Ground before the lawyers ruined the fun. Needless to say those experiences as a young boy of climbing on those steel giants from many nations made an impression on me that has lasted my entire life.

I've been watching and waiting many years for someone to produce a Königstiger that measured up to my own personal unrealistic standards for a factory produced AFV could and should be. This one checked enough of the boxes for me, and I'm very happy to have it in my collection.

I'm also excited to see what will be next, there are many more AFVs on my want list :wink2:. First Legion have always listened to its customers and have also continually strove to make improvements along the way and really what more can you ask for. Who knows maybe everyone will agree the next one produced is perfect, but I'd bet the house against, it just not possible IMO.

Great job Matt and crew, now how about some of those Napoleonic units I'm always bugging you about and maybe some Imperial cavalry for Pavia. PLease^&grin.

I know exactly how you feel Gebhard. I was satisfied with my Minichamps 1st issue KT for many years. The K&C, TCS and FL are all decent models for their time and the limits of the technology used for 1/30 scale Panzers. I finally found a Production version KT that meets my criteria for detail and accuracy in an unlikely area of modeling, RC Panzers. The Vs Tank KT has a superb ambush camouflage pattern with text book colors and soft edges. The colors are the best I have seen on a model and equal or excel the colors on the Figarti Jagdpanzer IV and the TG Hetzer. The barrel is metal, the sprockets, idlers and wheels are precise. The articulated individual link tracks are ABS; but are heavy enough to sag and are very detailed inside and out. I also have a Vs Tank Tiger I with an equally excellent tricolor camouflage pattern of waves similar to Wily Fey's ride. I have posted photos of both of these Tigers elsewhere on the Forum. When and if I can find Tigers as well done as these two I will purchase them in an instant; but these exceed all of my other Panzers in quality and accuracy and I don't expect to see them superceded anytime soon!

Received mine today. It's a wonderful model. Will post some pics in the coming week.

I don't know if everyones seen the new Toy Soldier Collector magazine here in the U.K but the First Legion Advert shows a new KT turret number 334
plus 10 tank riders . I imagine this ones going to sell like the last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back