BB030 German King Tiger Tank - SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (1 Viewer)

My Scots heritage makes me frugal by nature. Meaning I must see a reasonable return for my investments. A JJD Jagdpanther meets these requirements given its features and price. I wish the FL KT had the same ratio of features and price. I don't think this type of prudence constitutes inane blather as you categorize it. I shall have to consult my Thesaurus for a suitable term to describe your Ad Hominum prattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, why is that?

As for Katana’s post on additional detail etc, he must forget that it was First Legion who pioneered doing vehicles in this manner, not Figarti or JJD or anyone else. And if you go back about 7 or 8 years when we released our first stugs, we caught hell for it. Too light, too this, too that. Seems we are being proven both correct and clearly somewhat ahead of our time.

We don’t make all the hatches open and close or do interior detailing not because we can’t but because the vast majority of the time the model is simply displayed and these features aren’t used. In our opinion, it’s over detailing that doesn’t really add anything to the model. Of course, different people will feel differently about this, but given the positive feedback we constantly get on our tanks, we feel we’ve got the right balance. Can’t please everyone though and really we’re not trying to. We’re trying to please the folks who consistently purchase and enjoy our models.

Matt

Why do I think that subsequent King Tigers will be more expensive?

You can also bet that subsequent FL King Tigers are going to be more expensive than this one.

I'm hoping if there are more Tiger II's that they might cost a tad less if they have a less complex paint job, for instance a completely winterized one w/ no camo pattern beneath - like the photo shared here by Frank previously. If they do more KT's I don't see the price going up though, down maybe a slight chance, but not up. Sorry if typos- cat on my lap.

Joe

Oh, why is that?

As for Katana’s post on additional detail etc, he must forget that it was First Legion who pioneered doing vehicles in this manner, not Figarti or JJD or anyone else. And if you go back about 7 or 8 years when we released our first stugs, we caught hell for it. Too light, too this, too that. Seems we are being proven both correct and clearly somewhat ahead of our time.

We don’t make all the hatches open and close or do interior detailing not because we can’t but because the vast majority of the time the model is simply displayed and these features aren’t used. In our opinion, it’s over detailing that doesn’t really add anything to the model. Of course, different people will feel differently about this, but given the positive feedback we constantly get on our tanks, we feel we’ve got the right balance. Can’t please everyone though and really we’re not trying to. We’re trying to please the folks who consistently purchase and enjoy our models.

Matt

Wholeheartedly agree with the need to over detail, it is not worth it to manufacturer nor buyer IMO. At some point details get lost. As one who gave you a hard time on weight, I have to stand corrected these years later. At heart have always been a glossy metal guy (Toy Army Workshop), but I gladly admit that I own quite a few FL Tanks and vehicles too. I broadened my horizons over time and now appreciate all of my Tanks from FL to Figarti Zinc to K&C Poly Metal to JJD Combo all the way back to my TAW heavy lead ones!!

Keep up the good work
TD

"he must forget that it was First Legion who pioneered doing vehicles in this manner, not Figarti or JJD or anyone else. And if you go back about 7 or 8 years when we released our first stugs, we caught hell for it. Too light, too this, too that. Seems we are being proven both correct and clearly somewhat ahead of our time."

I remember it like it was yesterday; when the First Legion Stalingrad range was debuted at Chicago a number of years ago, I'll never forget a collector who shall go nameless who stormed into my room, ran over to the Stug, picked it up and had this look on his face like he was in the middle of a colonoscopy...…………………….oh the horror, why is it so light?!?!?!?...……….apparently weight equates value I guess.

Well a former manufacturer also came into my room to see the tanks, he was blown away by the detail on the vehicle. He put it down and said "Wow, that is state of the art, a beautiful vehicle, it's the wave of the future" and when I told him the push back due to weight, his reply was "No problem, just make the bottom piece out of metal to give it some weight, problem solved"...…………….smart fella that former manufacturer...………………;)………

If you're a collector who wants all hatches to open and for the vehicle to have interior detail and for the camo to be equally spread out into three colors and the colors to match the German camouflage color plates exactly and for the dunkel green and brown and panzer yellow to be 1000% spot on accurate, then this tank is not for you, going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over is not going to get Matt to change the design of his tanks, so for the love of ever loving Christ, PLEASE stop asking.

I'm begging you.

We all get it.

The tank could have sold out three hours faster if only Matt had added a swastica flag. Another opportunity missed.

Bovington as the paragon of historical accuracy? Katana you crack me up man.

Last edited:
As the FL KT has been sold out I would guess the collectors that matter have spoken with their wallets and I haven't heard any of them complain about what they have received.

Will be interested to see if a Whitewash version get's released

Mark

I am pleased you are amused. I don't think I used the terms Paragon of Historical Accuracy. I do think credit is due when a project is well done and the Henschel Turm King Tiger restoration is very well done IMO. The colors are better than the Munster Tank Museum KT and that's saying something when you consider it is a German Museum versus a British Museum. I will be interested to see how the King Tiger restoration project at the Swiss Tank Museum at Full turns out.

I thought the colors you used on your repaint of the K&C BBG 016 were very accurate. The Oliv Grun was text book RAL 6003 and well saturated; as was the RAL 8012 and RAL 7028. What did you use for the Zimmerit?

Bovington as the paragon of historical accuracy? Katana you crack me up man.

Hope HR will post the review here also.

I have cleared up a lot of the post here as the quotes we so off the conversation was not making sense. When quoting some please remember to be careful when deleting parts you do not need.

I have cleared up a lot of the post here as the quotes we so off the conversation was not making sense. When quoting some please remember to be careful when deleting parts you do not need.

My principal bugaboo. Thank you for cleaning it up. Too bad some of the posts weren’t deleted.

The desire to censor is strong in this one! Not much of a conversation if you delete every post you don't agree with.

My principal bugaboo. Thank you for cleaning it up. Too bad some of the posts weren’t deleted.

The desire to censor is strong in this one! Not much of a conversation if you delete every post you don't agree with.

You must have a guilty conscience as I didn’t mention you.

I want to take a moment to share some thoughts on the vehicle with First Legion/Matt, and briefly explain why I passed on it. The decision really came down to the simulated mud that's been applied to the model. I have two issues with this kind of treatment, particularly as regards the King Tiger.

First, there's no shortage of hard-top roads in Western Europe. This is germane to the vehicle in question, as that's where these things apparently spent most of their service life, on roads, I mean, particularly during the Ardennes operations. Well, after five or ten minutes on a surfaced road, most of the mud will be gone. The vehicle won't be clean, by any means. But, it won't have mud caked on the tracks, either. By "muddying things up," you've effectively limited the settings in which the vehicle can be reasonably employed for display.

The second issue that I have with the mud is more fundamental. The truth is, it can't easily be removed. Had the material NOT been applied, modelers who wish to add faux muck to their vehicles could have done so. However, in this circumstance, anyone who has limited interest in this kind of treatment is simply out of luck. No pun intended, but any such collector is simply stuck with the stuff.;)

Again, this post is really intended as feedback for the manufacturer. I mentioned that I was interested in the set. Mud, or no mud, the replica looks great with the figures, and everyone who purchased one has every right to be proud of their new acquisition. That said, I really hope that First Legion will consider manufacturing any future such issue sans boue!:D

-Moe

It appears to me that the rear idler on this tank (and mine) is too low and should have been higher on the lower hull compared to the last road wheel. Is everybody’s tank like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back