BB030 German King Tiger Tank - SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (1 Viewer)

I hope the green color is darker than that shown in the FL Photos. Can some one post a photo.

I hope the green color is darker than that shown in the FL Photos. Can some one post a photo.

The colours on this tank fall within the spectrum of variability found in German camouflage

The green should be noticeably lighter than the brown. You should be able to grey scale the picture and still be able t identify the colours

Artist colour plates are notoriously inaccurate and like museum repaints, should not be relied on.

I agree about the tonal color distribution. Your prior posts on the correct RAL colors have been excellent. The colors on Kingtigers used in operation Wacht am Rhine were factory applied and not subject to the variations in color density from field application using various solvents/thinners and methods of application. The Figarti Jagdpanzer IV L70 colors were excellent as were the Thomas Gunn Hetzer. The K&C and TCS tricolor camouflage patterns tend to have too light greens IMO. No one has calibrated eyeballs and opinions vary with the observer!

The colours on this tank fall within the spectrum of variability found in German camouflage

The green should be noticeably lighter than the brown. You should be able to grey scale the picture and still be able t identify the colours

Artist colour plates are notoriously inaccurate and like museum repaints, should not be relied on.

I agree about the tonal color distribution. Your prior posts on the correct RAL colors have been excellent. The colors on Kingtigers used in operation Wacht am Rhine were factory applied and not subject to the variations in color density from field application using various solvents/thinners and methods of application. The Figarti Jagdpanzer IV L70 colors were excellent as were the Thomas Gunn Hetzer. The K&C and TCS tricolor camouflage patterns tend to have too light greens IMO. No one has calibrated eyeballs and opinions vary with the observer!

Hey Katana, do you ever post pics or links to your collection? I guessing it's pretty impressive!

Hey Katana, do you ever post pics or links to your collection? I guessing it's pretty impressive!

Actually he has posted a number of pictures of his tanks and also his ancients collection, he uses nice backgrounds in his shots that blend well with his displays.

I have a number of posts with photos on the forum. Click my name and check them out. I have posted a number of dioramas with WWII Armor and figures from Conte K&C, TCS, TG, Figarti, WB, Kronprinz, FL, JJD etc. I am pretty eclectic when it comes to figures. Where possible I like to mix figures and Armor from different manufacturers, I think it adds interest to a diorama. I have collected Toy Soldiers since about 1955. I build scale models so I tend to be a bit particular about accuracy and detail on models. I also research military history, so when I build a diorama I can make it as accurate as possible; whether it is a Roman siege or a WWII battle.

You should have bought two and resold one to cover the cost of the other :)

NOPE .{sm4}...That's not my style:...But I am sure the evil bay hucksters will try to do just that and sell their multiples for +800 plus {sm4}....but remember this my friend it may very well backfire on them if smart buyers boycott them and don't fall for these price gouging tactics that we see all too often.

I would suspect that the camo pattern on this FL King Tiger will be very similar to the FL Camo Panther......I hope to see some comparison photos soon

I have watched a number of FL Panzers posted on Ebay at large markups and they are still sitting their months later. The most recent is a Stug III posted at a starting bid of $450.00.
Several T34s, a Winter Sherman and a Panther G Winter are also available at better prices.

NOPE .{sm4}...That's not my style:...But I am sure the evil bay hucksters will try to do just that and sell their multiples for +800 plus {sm4}....but remember this my friend it may very well backfire on them if smart buyers boycott them and don't fall for these price gouging tactics that we see all too often.

I would suspect that the camo pattern on this FL King Tiger will be very similar to the FL Camo Panther......I hope to see some comparison photos soon

Actually it's nothing like this at all. The Panther was hard edged camo, the KT is not. The images clearly show the differences....

I can't wait for the SS tank riders to get released, they look amazing. So versatile and and will make for an excellent display with the FL King Tiger.

FL%20King%20Tiger%20Riders_zpstjayk8bk.jpg

While I agree they do look amazing, they wouldn't be so fitting for a KT at the outset of the Ardennes offensive. Period pictures show practically no, if any, evidence that Waffen SS troops wore the reversible winter parka's and trousers in the Ardennes. Improvised summer uniforms and greatcoats seemed to be the norm in december 1944. In contrast, Heer and Luftwaffe units did wear them, also evidenced by many photo's. Why this was the case is unclear. Maybe supply difficulties at SS depots. In any case, SS wearing parka's and trousers only start to show up frequently in Hungary 1945. It is likely that supply of winter clothing commenced after 6. SS Panzerarmee had been transferred there in late january 1945. I can see one sitting Pzg on FL's KT that would be more fitting. The one without helmet cloth cover and summer tunic. The walking Pzg with greatcoat and smock cover too, as well as the onlooking one, who wears the same clothing as the tank rider, only with helmet cloth cover.
Personally, I would use most of these in a Hungary setting, for above mentioned reasons.

While I agree they do look amazing, they wouldn't be so fitting for a KT at the outset of the Ardennes offensive. Period pictures show practically no, if any, evidence that Waffen SS troops wore the reversible winter parka's and trousers in the Ardennes. Improvised summer uniforms and greatcoats seemed to be the norm in december 1944. In contrast, Heer and Luftwaffe units did wear them, also evidenced by many photo's. Why this was the case is unclear. Maybe supply difficulties at SS depots. In any case, SS wearing parka's and trousers only start to show up frequently in Hungary 1945. It is likely that supply of winter clothing commenced after 6. SS Panzerarmee had been transferred there in late january 1945. I can see one sitting Pzg on FL's KT that would be more fitting. The one without helmet cloth cover and summer tunic. The walking Pzg with greatcoat and smock cover too, as well as the onlooking one, who wears the same clothing as the tank rider, only with helmet cloth cover.
Personally, I would use most of these in a Hungary setting, for above mentioned reasons.

In reply of my own message, and about the upcoming winter tank crew, I would like to say that the type of jackets as worn by the commander figure are regularly seen in Ardennes photo's. These were probably personalized officers' items and not depot supplied, which explains their showing up. The loader/gunner figure, again not so suitable for Ardennes. Nice figures though.

I don't see anything wrong with the non commander figure. A KT crewman could have easily gotten a reversible parka. Not common among ground troops, but armored crews, never say never. At least not to go as far as eliminating the figure of being a possibility in the Ardennes.

I don't see anything wrong with the non commander figure. A KT crewman could have easily gotten a reversible parka. Not common among ground troops, but armored crews, never say never. At least not to go as far as eliminating the figure of being a possibility in the Ardennes.

Well, I didn't exactly eliminate the possibility alltogether.

Wow...

I said if we can concentrate speaking about the KTII tank and my post has been deleted.

Serge :smile2:

Well, I didn't exactly eliminate the possibility alltogether.

Although the crewman is wearing the pea dot version, which is arguably the rarest one. But I'm nitpicking now, egon{sm4} Anyway, perhaps one of the reasons the SS didn't commonly use the full winter gear in the Ardennes was that it was wet and slightly above or below freezing temps at the outset. No heavy snowfall was expected (not until later). After all, these were designed for a cold, dry, Russian winter, for which they were more suitable. Maybe Heer and Luftwaffe saw things differently, because they certainly issued them. Who knows why for sure^&confuse. And who knows if some troops might have gotten them via one way or another. I might use them for Ardennes anyway, just because the combination of them with the mighty cat looks so great.

I wish the colors on the Kingtiger were as accurate as the uniform colors. The Dunkel Gleb and Rotbrun are excellent; but the Green is an issue. Sometimes green will fluoresce under some types of lighting, like flash with high UV. I hope that this is the case. I have seen this bright Green only on TCS and K&C Panzers. Figarti, TG and JJD Panzers with tricolor camouflage have a more saturated Green; as does Minichamps. The Minichamps Kingtiger is a textbook example of the correct colors; as you would expect from a German company producing a German model of a German Panzer.

I wish the colors on the Kingtiger were as accurate as the uniform colors. The Dunkel Gleb and Rotbrun are excellent; but the Green is an issue. Sometimes green will fluoresce under some types of lighting, like flash with high UV. I hope that this is the case. I have seen this bright Green only on TCS and K&C Panzers. Figarti, TG and JJD Panzers with tricolor camouflage have a more saturated Green; as does Minichamps. The Minichamps Kingtiger is a textbook example of the correct colors; as you would expect from a German company producing a German model of a German Panzer.

I love my Minichamps armor. I don't use them in dios but they make for great static models on a shelf.

I will wait to see the FL King Tiger in person before I pass judgement on the colors. Over the years I have found FL photography to be slightly deceptive especially when it comes to colorization.

I agree; determining color from advertising artwork is difficult. I hope someone will post a photo of a production piece; as they can be substantially different than the prototype.

I display my Minichamps Panzers with the 1/35 Dragon/Can Do figures.

I love my Minichamps armor. I don't use them in dios but they make for great static models on a shelf.

I will wait to see the FL King Tiger in person before I pass judgement on the colors. Over the years I have found FL photography to be slightly deceptive especially when it comes to colorization.

The picture above with the tank riders taken from Matt's cellphone looks spot on for Olivgrun. No issue at all with the green.

My credit card got charged for the King Tiger, so the tanks should be in collectors hands in a week or so based off past purchases. I'll post pics of it when it gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back