Best and Worst of 2006 (so far) (3 Viewers)

I agree with the horse size reason, but what about this huge mortar - maybe the guys are really small :)

iwj278cq.jpg

Oz,
The mortar appears to be the Japanese Type 99 81mm infantry mortar and probably is not too far off scale.

The Type 99 had a short barrel that measured just over 24 inches (0.62 meters for you metric types). Compared to the US M1 81mm Mortar with barrel length of 49.5 inches and the Commonwealth 3 inch with barrel length of 51.0 inches this Mortar would appear short and fat.

The Type 99 fired an 81mm (3.19 inch wide) projectile and could even us captured US 81mm ammunition.

Semper Fi!
Rick

The best of 2006 is for me the 8th army and the afrika corps .
for me there is no worst models .
end of thid month i will pick up the dd and napolion's scotts grey

richard:) :) :)

Panzer said:
Oz,
The mortar appears to be the Japanese Type 99 81mm infantry mortar and probably is not too far off scale.

The Type 99 had a short barrel that measured just over 24 inches (0.62 meters for you metric types). Compared to the US M1 81mm Mortar with barrel length of 49.5 inches and the Commonwealth 3 inch with barrel length of 51.0 inches this Mortar would appear short and fat.

The Type 99 fired an 81mm (3.19 inch wide) projectile and could even us captured US 81mm ammunition.

Semper Fi!
Rick

Hi Rick, I had previously assumed that it was meant to be the Type 99 but it looks way to wide being almost as thick as those guys heads. Now maybe those two soldiers had heads that were only about three inches wide in real life, but I doubt it :)

i like very much the ws 71 and ws 72... good painting job very beautiful figure ws 72 in first(new poses and improvement on mould)the ak 27 too is a terrific release.. on this last i have the critic of the new package....dont preserve the product like the past foam
inside the boxes

max

Oz,
Remember that the average size for a WWII Japanese soldier was 5' 3'' and 120 pounds so these guys were somewhat smaller than the average Aussie or Yank.

What the Japanese soldiers lacked in physical stature, they more then made up for in discipline and determination.

Semper Fi!
Rick

I think the best is the Panthers from HB and as usual the figures from K&C. :)

:( I don't like the idea of Figarti having 7 versions of the M3 tank. Imagine if they did a german tank with the same detail of the M3.

Panzer said:
Oz,
Remember that the average size for a WWII Japanese soldier was 5' 3'' and 120 pounds so these guys were somewhat smaller than the average Aussie or Yank.

What the Japanese soldiers lacked in physical stature, they more then made up for in discipline and determination.

Semper Fi!
Rick

I understand your arguement but those mortars were just over three 3" inches across and most short people have heads more than three inches wide :) Thinking more about it I guess it could be a forced perspective matter with the close-up photo, I'll wait until I see one first hand before I get to carried away.

Panzer said:
Oz,

Semper Fi!
Rick

"...and most of them were bow-legged." a comment from a former Philippine Scout and USAFFE soldier who fought in Bataan and Corregidor. They called them "sakang."
N-P

You guys are right about the Gray's they are great....BUT...I also think the 6 new French calvary are really nice as well, they look to me like they are riding through town in a semi relaxed state taking in the sights....I think the painting on these are in greater detail than the Grays...just my observation.

Cheers
WELLINGTON

PS Don't get me wrong I for the most part like calvary in action rather than in satic poses...the up coming French calvery really compliment each other as do the Gray's......:)

I think the Napoleonics series is the most detailed and best painted next to the Revolutionary stiuff. If I had the funds I would be all over that series as well...but..as Brad has stated we all have to draw the line somewhere...

Last edited:
For best figure, I would have to say the Indian on the horse from the AR series, truely amazing.

I just received it today (it was back order) and now that I saw it for real, I can tell that the Mounted Indian with Booty (BR51) is, in my opinion, the best figure produced this year by K&C.

My deception (again, my opinion) is the Seated French Cavalry set. The three men seated on the chairs are out of proportion. Even my wife, who's 5' 1'' tall, touches the ground with her feet when she's seated at the dining room table. In fact, they are closer to 1:32 than to 1:30.

Pierre.

My vote for best would be the Ambulance Jeep or the new motorcycle combination (side car cycle). For worst, its hard to say, but certainly one of the K&C tracked vehicles, probably the Grief.

Louis Badolato said:
My vote for best would be the Ambulance Jeep or the new motorcycle combination (side car cycle). For worst, its hard to say, but certainly one of the K&C tracked vehicles, probably the Grief.

I agree with you about the Greif. Will also throw in Goebbels among the worst. Looks too much like Don Knotts.

I'm afraid I have to agree about the Greif. The figure didn't look like Rommel and doesn't fit right into the vehicle. That and the Panther have made this a checkered year so far. On the plus side the 8th Army and the D Day issues are quite good and the FoB look to be even better.

jazzeum said:
I'm afraid I have to agree about the Greif. The figure didn't look like Rommel and doesn't fit right into the vehicle. That and the Panther have made this a checkered year so far. On the plus side the 8th Army and the D Day issues are quite good and the FoB look to be even better.

I must have missed a thread. What's wrong with the Panther? Michael

maddadicus said:
I must have missed a thread. What's wrong with the Panther? Michael

I have to ask the same. What's so wrong with the Panther for being in the worst?

Pierre.

I didn't mean to say it was the worst but all in all, notwithstanding what I said previously (and I don't include the figures in this because I think K & C figures are much better), the Panther was somewhat disappointing and in comparison the HB Panther is much better. Andy has had, and will have, some successes this year, but I don't think the Greif and Panther will be in that category.

Pierre said:
I have to ask the same. What's so wrong with the Panther for being in the worst?

Pierre.

Great figures, as per K&C usual, but it has lousy tracks, way too much mud, dirt, rocks, weeds, whatever stuck on the side skirts, looks like my dog chewed on left front fender, gun doesn't stay put, and a crappy graffitti-looking paint job. Other than that it's quite nice.:D

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back