Best Money Sense on Retired (1 Viewer)

Sgt. 403

Private
When looking at retired items, does it make more sense to buy the more expensive pieces first, thus reducing the amount you'd have to pay if everything went up, say 5% a year. Or does it make more sense to buy more of the smaller items, say single figures, to reduce the amount of retired items you're actually trying to find?

Mate, I think it makes more sense to buy what you really like first. Cheers, Alby

I have always believed when you are collecting a K&C Range and don't have many of the releases - you should always buy the ones which are being retired first - then seek out the others in the Range that interest you - when you can afford it. That way you will never fall behind from buying these figures as they become more harder to find after they have been retired.

Thats what I am doing with the Arnhem range ;)

The one thing I learned from collecting first Baseball cards, then K&C, that the more expensive retired items never get cheaper. An item may seem expensive now so you put it off, then a few years later you will be kicking yourself as to why you didn,t get it the first time around.
Gary

I often used to buy sets when they retired even if I wasn't all that interested in them. The plan was to sell these at a later date to finance newer items that I liked for my collection. However I stopped doing that because of the ever increasing cost of sets and the continuing economic woes. Yes, sorry folks, the economy can still get worse, and most likely will :(

Now I only buy what I like and what fits into my current collecting theme, be it retired or not, and I am now very selective of what I buy.

However I stopped doing that because of the ever increasing cost of sets and the continuing economic woes. Yes, sorry folks, the economy can still get worse, and most likely will :(

Economic woes down under? And getting worse?

I thought Australia is out of recession and the property market is up (the current political impasse notwithstanding) ?

2 main considerations:

1. Buy what you really like. (Do this one right and you will have no regrets under most circumstances :cool:)

2. May consider giving priority to "being retired" items. (but careful, here. Don't let it cloud your mind and forget point 1).

Most times, have to balance between these 2 considerations.

"Retired items" - I have to remind myself not to go overboard. I might let that pass if the price is above my budget. Chasing after anything could be at the expense of your financial well-being.

Economic woes down under? And getting worse?

I thought Australia is out of recession and the property market is up (the current political impasse notwithstanding) ?

I was speaking globally.

Australia's debt position may not be as bad as some countries but neither are we in a surplus position. There was a lot of money wasted in our stimulus packages and the money will need to be repaid from somewhere. The Aussie property market has not dropped as much as the US but is still overpriced. In addition the Aussie dollar is very volatile and when the US dollar bubble bursts I'm sure the Aussie dollar will also dive as overseas investors pull out here.

Interesting question. You are probably best to buy the new sets you like at

current retail. Then make a list of sets you would like to add and keep track

of their current prices. This way when one comes along at what you consider

to be a decent price you can add it as your finances allow.

I'm not going to mention Buying what you like.....since thats all a normal

collector would do in the first place.:rolleyes:

I was speaking globally.

Australia's debt position may not be as bad as some countries but neither are we in a surplus position. There was a lot of money wasted in our stimulus packages and the money will need to be repaid from somewhere. The Aussie property market has not dropped as much as the US but is still overpriced. In addition the Aussie dollar is very volatile and when the US dollar bubble bursts I'm sure the Aussie dollar will also dive as overseas investors pull out here.

Yeah, all those stimulus by govts worldwide is probably just postponing the day of reckoning - and quite possibly making it worse than 2008-early 2009 when that day come.

The Aussie dollar is a favourite of speculative funds. Goes up when there is risk appetite.

For myself, a little restraint is in order regarding this little hobby of mine. Increasing prices of miniatures against such an economic backdrop we are facing now is making it a challenge for me. :(

The good thing is and, I don't know if its to do with the economy or, K&C listening to its customers, but, disco sets from the manufacturer have really slowed down in their number over the last few months to almost a trickle. Its been a good time for collectors who want full ranges as there is now more time to decide where to visit next with your money.

I think its a good decision to slow it down for whatever reason as that bit of panic about new sets or retiring sets and speed to get what you want fast, has subsided.

Just get what you want when you can and remember the hobby is supposed to be fun and take us away from the grind not bring the coronary on quicker worrying about missing bits of metal IMO
Mitch

Very Good advise..Mitch....The "value" of retired K/C is fickle at best...Buy what you like.... It is a hobby not an investment....I personnally calculate a 35-50% loss on "all" hobby purchases in regards to resale value.....I don't buy to re-sell.....Best Money sense is to not over-pay or over-buy to begin with.....IMO

Hi Guys,

If I’ve said it once… I said it at least twice!!!

BUY WHAT YOU LIKE
Be it baseball cards… matchbox labels… beer mats… or even toy soldiers.

It’s not rocket science… it’s not brain surgery… it’s just a little something called “COMMON SENSE”.

If however you want to do a little “horse-trading” and “speculation”… By all means do it… It’s your own money and you can do with it what you will. At least until any of our respective Governments get their grubby big paws on it.

When you buy something you really like you’re never disappointed… if the price goes up… down… or sideways… who cares? You love it… you get pleasure from it… and it’s special for YOU!

Best wishes and happy collecting to things you really, really like!
Andy C.

Good advice, buy the things you like.I know I must be in a minority here, but I never sell anything!. I really like the stuff I buy so I never want to get rid of it.l know some of you guys finance new stuff by selling off the old, I admire your resolve, I couldn't do that!:rolleyes::)

Rob

Yeah, all those stimulus by govts worldwide is probably just postponing the day of reckoning - and quite possibly making it worse than 2008-early 2009 when that day come.

The Aussie dollar is a favourite of speculative funds. Goes up when there is risk appetite.

For myself, a little restraint is in order regarding this little hobby of mine. Increasing prices of miniatures against such an economic backdrop we are facing now is making it a challenge for me. :(

Yes, I'm wondering where the 1/30 section of the hobby is heading with rising prices and reduced demand :eek:

Hi Guys,

If however you want to do a little “horse-trading” and “speculation”… By all means do it… It’s your own money and you can do with it what you will. At least until any of our respective Governments get their grubby big paws on it.

Best wishes and happy collecting to things you really, really like!
Andy C.

Goodness, no!

You stand a better chance in the financial markets - not with collectibles.

As it is, hobbies are meant to give you joy - not financial worries.

I buy what I like and can afford. Buying high to sell higher is not a game for me with such items. Just my 2 cents.

OzDigger....

I wonder outside the forum just how much decline there really is there seems to still be a lot of people with a lot of money wanting to collect as much as possible.

Its difficult to determine but, I don't worry for the future of the hobby
Mitch

OzDigger....

I wonder outside the forum just how much decline there really is there seems to still be a lot of people with a lot of money wanting to collect as much as possible.

Its difficult to determine but, I don't worry for the future of the hobby
Mitch
I think your right Mitch the hobby is going good guns at the moment with lots of choice from all company's :D Happy days

One should read the "What Do You Do For a Living" thread....lets be honest at $32 bucks a pop for a figure my experience has been that the collectors that buy alot and often has serious coin in thier pocket. Trust me.....walk around OTSN....Doctors, Lawyers....successful businessmen abound! Bottom line the people the hobby count on to continue to buy have the means to do so and may have been hurt by the current economic situation but have not been crushed by it and contimue to buy. Ive spoken to several dealer friends and all say they are doing well with sales.......I'm not at all worried about this hobbies future.

Goodness, no!

You stand a better chance in the financial markets - not with collectibles.

As it is, hobbies are meant to give you joy - not financial worries.

I buy what I like and can afford. Buying high to sell higher is not a game for me with such items. Just my 2 cents.

Good Post:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back