Britain's Zulu War (1 Viewer)

DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0022.JPGDSC_0047.JPGA few pix from my ISANDLWANA sham battle.
15 X 20 GROUPS OF WARRIORS { 6 MORE RECYCLED AS RESERVES, 420 ZULU} VS 6 X 20 MAN BRITISH COMPANIES, 2 CANNON AND 20 NATAL POLICE.
ENDING WAS PREDICTABLE, YET THE BRITISH ALMOST DROVE ENOUGH AWAY TO WIN. A COMPANY GAVE WAY, THE GUNNERS ABANDONED THEIR GUNS AND ALL RAN BACK TOWARDS THE CAMP. A HUGE GAP IN THE LINE AND THE ZULU'S POURED THROUGH. THE NATAL MOUNTED POLICE KEPT THEIR FLANK THROUGH MO ST OF THE BATTLE BUT FINALLY WERE CLOSED ON MY 2 WARBANDS AND HACKED TO PIECES. THE BRITISH PLAYERS IGNORED MY ADVISE TO FORM SQUARE WITH THEIR REMAINING 4 COMPANIES, THEY STOOD FAST FIRING VOLLEY AFTER VOLLEY INTO THE CLOSING ZULU MASSES. EVENTUALLY, OVERWHELMED, REFUGEE'S POURED THROUGH THE CAMP AND A MIXED UNIT TRIED TO HOLD THE GROUND ON THE RIGHT FLANK USING THE WAGONS AS COVER. SIMPLY OVERRAN. 20 TRIED TO MAKE IT TO THE RIVER. 4 MADE IT OFF THE TABLE. ZULU'S TRIUMPHANT .
WAITING FOR SOME MORE IMAGES FROM THE PLAYER THAT TOOK THESE.
FUBaR

View attachment 145164View attachment 145165View attachment 145166View attachment 145167A few pix from my ISANDLWANA sham battle.
15 X 20 GROUPS OF WARRIORS { 6 MORE RECYCLED AS RESERVES, 420 ZULU} VS 6 X 20 MAN BRITISH COMPANIES, 2 CANNON AND 20 NATAL POLICE.
ENDING WAS PREDICTABLE, YET THE BRITISH ALMOST DROVE ENOUGH AWAY TO WIN. A COMPANY GAVE WAY, THE GUNNERS ABANDONED THEIR GUNS AND ALL RAN BACK TOWARDS THE CAMP. A HUGE GAP IN THE LINE AND THE ZULU'S POURED THROUGH. THE NATAL MOUNTED POLICE KEPT THEIR FLANK THROUGH MO ST OF THE BATTLE BUT FINALLY WERE CLOSED ON MY 2 WARBANDS AND HACKED TO PIECES. THE BRITISH PLAYERS IGNORED MY ADVISE TO FORM SQUARE WITH THEIR REMAINING 4 COMPANIES, THEY STOOD FAST FIRING VOLLEY AFTER VOLLEY INTO THE CLOSING ZULU MASSES. EVENTUALLY, OVERWHELMED, REFUGEE'S POURED THROUGH THE CAMP AND A MIXED UNIT TRIED TO HOLD THE GROUND ON THE RIGHT FLANK USING THE WAGONS AS COVER. SIMPLY OVERRAN. 20 TRIED TO MAKE IT TO THE RIVER. 4 MADE IT OFF THE TABLE. ZULU'S TRIUMPHANT .
WAITING FOR SOME MORE IMAGES FROM THE PLAYER THAT TOOK THESE.
FUBaR

Fubar,
Really fantastic. What miracles in battle sizes ( $funds$) when you use 25/28mm sets....vis a vis using 1:32.......
Still cannot understand why the British Players ignored the advise to form a square.........
When you can please add some of these great pics to the Little Victorian Wars thread will make us go crazy{sm3}{sm3}
Cheers
A_C

That is quite amazing . . . . a real pleasure for me to marvel at . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Well this is the size board you need to do this battle justice, something to strive for^&grin. Really like the colour of the terrain as well, really compliments the figures and overall scene. It does not get much better than this. Would have loved to hear Joe's comments on this one, but not to be. Robin.

DSC_0016ab_edited-1.jpgDSC_0018a_edited-1.jpgThank you for the kind remarks. About 10 years worth of collecting and painting.At east half are painted plastic done years ago when Conte released his play sets.Been adding in Britain's { and some Fronltine and a few conte} metals since they 1st appeared. Hadn't really added any in at least a year or so, but caught up quickly when I decided to put on a game.Quickly Dented the soldier budget for the next few months too but the collection, for the moment is complete.Until Spring.More Britain's ZULU poses.Yeah, 16 units sounds better.
FubAr

View attachment 145210View attachment 145211Thank you for the kind remarks. About 10 years worth of collecting and painting.At east half are painted plastic done years ago when Conte released his play sets.Been adding in Britain's { and some Fronltine and a few conte} metals since they 1st appeared. Hadn't really added any in at least a year or so, but caught up quickly when I decided to put on a game.Quickly Dented the soldier budget for the next few months too but the collection, for the moment is complete.Until Spring.More Britain's ZULU poses.Yeah, 16 units sounds better.
FubAr

Fubar,
Fantastic, even more so now that it has dawned on me that they are 1:32 scale.......incredible....wish I could convince my misses that I should have a chunck of real estate to set my own battle ground like you have done......
would Love to take part in the game!! fore sure would have a better selection of the artillery taking into battle larger caliber guns than the ones used and if heavier calibers were not available for sure would choose shrapnel versus solid shot.......
cheers
Luiz

That is a fantastic display, how big is the base?

Kev

Kev, The tables { x 4 each 4' x 6' with runners along each edge and C clamped together} is 6' x 16' . The last one on the right is 4'x 8' . Contours are foam board, some beveled edges, some lumber{ Have a mill, lots of lumber lying around} and ceder shake tiles. Covered with a $12 piece of fabric, assorted camo spray paint, woodland scenic flock, even some cement filler sand . Moss, rocks , and all those little dried out tees and bushes are things I found in the fields behind the farm. Pretty cheap terrain.
I make a few different cloths each year for different battles. Then can always flip them over and spray new roads, fields etc. Inexpensive and fun.
Here's a pic of Brawners farm we did last Summer. Cheap $12 terrain cloth. Like a new canvas to paint on.
Since I put all the troops away, I think I'll do a quick terrain change and set up Rorkes Drift.
FubAr

Attachments

• DSC_0024a.JPG
    DSC_0024a.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_0015a.JPG
    DSC_0015a.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 255
Look forward to seeing Rorkes Drift. you have a talent ,but it must take a while putting all them troops away, Thanks again

Now that's what I'm talking about! ^&grin^&grin Just incredible looking Harold . . . the mass of troops, the enormity of the entire dio . . . . Thank you very much for sharing this with us . . . . man-o-man . . .
:smile2: Mike

Holy Cow!!! Both the Zulu and ACW dioramas are simply awe inspiring... Thank you for the chance to see these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back