Chicago Toy Soldier Show Treasure Hunt Is On! (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
Ready or not.....it is Treasure Hunt time!!!!!

All the treasures have been delivered with the exception of Tim Tyler. We are awaiting the delivery of Tim himself as a matter of fact!

For now you can enjoy the Sheets and stacks of boxes that have been distributed.

TreasureHunt2019-1.jpg

TreasureHunt2019-2.jpg

TreasureHunt2019-3.jpg

Please join me on this journey and enjoy!

Julie

If I knew you were bringing peanut m&ms...... 😉

Don't forget the Coconut, Jalapeno, English Toffee and regular! And Hazelnut spread? SO much fun you are missing!

Julie

Shall we start off with a bang for our first stop today?

And BANG here we go!

WHAT IS THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF KONIGSTIGER?
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Tiger Kong
  • King Tiger

KT-1.jpg

The Tiger II is a German heavy tank of the Second World War. The final official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. B, often shortened to Tiger B. The ordnance inventory designation was Sd.Kfz. 182. It is also known under the informal name Königstiger (the German name for the Bengal tiger), often translated literally as Royal Tiger, or somewhat incorrectly as King Tiger by Allied soldiers, especially by American forces.
The Tiger II was the successor to the Tiger I, combining the latter's thick armour with the armour sloping used on the Panther medium tank. The tank weighed almost 70 tonnes, and was protected by 100 to 185 mm (3.9 to 7.3 in) of armour to the front. It was armed with the long barrelled 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 anti-tank cannon. The chassis was also the basis for the Jagdtiger turretless Jagdpanzer anti-tank vehicle.
The Tiger II was issued to heavy tank battalions of the Army and the Waffen-SS. It was first used in combat by 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion during the Allied invasion of Normandy on 11 July 1944; on the Eastern Front, the first unit to be outfitted with the Tiger II was the 501st Heavy Panzer Battalion, which by 1 September 1944 listed 25 Tiger IIs operational.

KT-2.jpg
The JJD King Tiger includes the normal features such as interior detail and opening hatches.

KT-3.jpg

KT-4.jpg

KT-5.jpg

More pictures forthcoming and more details in the future......

Your patience will be rewarded - I can guarantee it!

Julie

As usual, John's armor is incredible. That King Tiger looks great and makes missing the Chicago Show even more painful!

Wow! I've phased out of WWII over the years but the Tiger II is a must.

I have always enjoyed John's treasure hunt. Wish I could be there this year to participate in it once again. Looking forward to the other items that are in the hunt.
:smile2: Mike

Thank you Julie! The KT looks great! Wish I could be there!!!

Joe

Boy oh boy.....just discovered WHY the side panels are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

KT-9.jpg
The main special feature for the JJD King Tiger Model will be the detachable side panels, which will enable collectors to chose themselves how many panels they wish to display with their model.

The first version of the JJD King Tiger will be available to pre-order in October 2019 (NEXT MONTH!?!?!?!?!)

A Special Thank You from John to Hunter Rose, once again for his guidance in producing this King Tiger model. Although, NOT on Mike Miller's list, he should definitely consider adding at least one of these to his collection.
Next month we will see the first painted version of this beaut!

Julie

**Bear with me as I learn about YouTube videos! Slowly but surely we will be building up our channel with more videos from the show.**

I have a half a moment so I am going to introduce my next stop on the fun-train treasure hunt!
Matt with his Army of Green Men are kind of set up and rolling along in their spacious ballroom.

HOW MANY GREEKS WERE SENT TO DEFEND THE PASS AT THERMOPYLAE?
  • 6,000-7,000

Many thanks to to Matt Murphy for presenting 12 new Spartan Hoplites suitable for the Peloponnesian War period.
The Peloponnesian War (431–404 BC) was an ancient Greek war fought by the Delian League led by Athens against the Peloponnesian League led by Sparta. Historians have traditionally divided the war into three phases. In the first phase, the Archidamian War, Sparta launched repeated invasions of Attica, while Athens took advantage of its naval supremacy to raid the coast of the Peloponnese and attempt to suppress signs of unrest in its empire. This period of the war was concluded in 421 BC, with the signing of the Peace of Nicias. That treaty, however, was soon undermined by renewed fighting in the Peloponnese. In 415 BC, Athens dispatched a massive expeditionary force to attack Syracuse, Sicily; the attack failed disastrously, with the destruction of the entire force in 413 BC. This ushered in the final phase of the war, generally referred to either as the Decelean War, or the Ionian War. In this phase, Sparta, now receiving support from the Achaemenid Empire, supported rebellions in Athens's subject states in the Aegean Sea and Ionia, undermining Athens's empire, and, eventually, depriving the city of naval supremacy. The destruction of Athens's fleet in the Battle of Aegospotami effectively ended the war, and Athens surrendered in the following year. Corinth and Thebes demanded that Athens should be destroyed and all its citizens should be enslaved, but Sparta refused.
HB-1.jpg

The Peloponnesian War reshaped the ancient Greek world. On the level of international relations, Athens, the strongest city-state in Greece prior to the war's beginning, was reduced to a state of near-complete subjection, while Sparta became established as the leading power of Greece. The economic costs of the war were felt all across Greece; poverty became widespread in the Peloponnese, while Athens found itself completely devastated, and never regained its pre-war prosperity.

Ancient Greek warfare, meanwhile, originally a limited and formalized form of conflict, was transformed into an all-out struggle between city-states, complete with atrocities on a large scale. Shattering religious and cultural taboos, devastating vast swathes of countryside, and destroying whole cities, the Peloponnesian War marked the dramatic end to the fifth century BC and the golden age of Greece.

The city of Sparta was just one of the cities located in the ancient Greek state called Lakedaimon. Most of the other cities of Lakedaimon by this time had become subjects of Sparta.

Around the middle of the 5th Century BC the Lakedaimonians started to lighten the equipment of their hoplites. The traditional greaves and cuirass were discarded, and the closed Corinthian helmet was replaced by the open-faced “Pilos Helmet”.
A crimson short sleeved tunic, the “exomis” was commonly worn, with the right shoulder unpinned and allowed to fall leaving the right arm and shoulder free for action. In the 4th Century the army of Agesilaos was clad entirely in Crimson. This had become the color of the soldier and especially of the Lakedaimonian soldier. Apparently the Lakedaimonian soldier was even buried in his crimson robe.

During this period the Lakedaimonians were allowed to grow their hair and beard when on campaign, a style which had fallen out of fashion elsewhere in Greece at this time.

These figures can be displayed with the recent Thracians and the Persian Cavalry.
hb-2.jpg

HB-3.jpg

HB-4.jpg

Especially for Mike Miller! Classic Peloponnesian War, Crimson Tunic Spartans!!
You’ve got to LIKE these LAKEDAIMONIANS……..
These will look great lined up with the colorful Thracians.

Julie

If I knew you were bringing peanut m&ms...... 😉

Wait?! You aren’t going to be here this year? I still have last years Portillo’s order ready to order again. I thought Julie was pulling my leg!

Julie, I couldn’t make it to Chicago but for me the treasure hunt is already over… :wink2: OMG what a jewel! The JJD King Tiger looks fantastic! Release by October!?! Too good to be true!!

Shall we start off with a bang for our first stop today?

And BANG here we go!
View attachment 252883

The Tiger II is a German heavy tank of the Second World War. The final official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. B, often shortened to Tiger B. The ordnance inventory designation was Sd.Kfz. 182. It is also known under the informal name Königstiger (the German name for the Bengal tiger), often translated literally as Royal Tiger, or somewhat incorrectly as King Tiger by Allied soldiers, especially by American forces.
The Tiger II was the successor to the Tiger I, combining the latter's thick armour with the armour sloping used on the Panther medium tank. The tank weighed almost 70 tonnes, and was protected by 100 to 185 mm (3.9 to 7.3 in) of armour to the front. It was armed with the long barrelled 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 anti-tank cannon. The chassis was also the basis for the Jagdtiger turretless Jagdpanzer anti-tank vehicle.
The Tiger II was issued to heavy tank battalions of the Army and the Waffen-SS. It was first used in combat by 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion during the Allied invasion of Normandy on 11 July 1944; on the Eastern Front, the first unit to be outfitted with the Tiger II was the 501st Heavy Panzer Battalion, which by 1 September 1944 listed 25 Tiger IIs operational.

View attachment 252884
The JJD King Tiger includes the normal features such as interior detail and opening hatches.

View attachment 252885

View attachment 252886

View attachment 252887

More pictures forthcoming and more details in the future......

Your patience will be rewarded - I can guarantee it!

Julie

Wow this looks awesome. Can’t wait to see what camouflage to be applied.

A true BEAST! Love it and looking forward to seeing the complete model. :salute::

Wait?! You aren’t going to be here this year? I still have last years Portillo’s order ready to order again. I thought Julie was pulling my leg!

Other then not seeing you all, no portillos is the second worse thing!

Oh man, I am going to take a beating between the KT and those Spartans. And they can have Lambdas on their shields and have a chance at being historically accurate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back