Confederate reinforcements for Mike (1 Viewer)

Ken & Ericka Osen/H&A Studio

Command Sergeant Major
Hello All,

Sometime before the Chicago OTSN show I was looking at some of the W. Britain ACW figures I had sculpted. I love to set up figures and take pictures but I don't like seeing the same figure duplicated too often with Matte finished figures.

The thought occurred to me that if I took a group of different figures, I could cut off their heads and swap them to get different looks. Of course like almost every idea I have, once I start it seems to have a domino effect.

I took about twenty Confederates and put them under the saw. Heads rolled along with a few arms too. The parts were then swapped around, holes were drilled, pins were put in and everything glued into position. The new areas had to be re contoured in some cases, and the same epoxy putty I use to create the master sculpts was used to repair areas.
In addition to these changes, some figures had the trousers modified. Figures with cuffed pants or trousers gathered into socks were resculpted to have full length trousers.

Then the real fun came. I repainted the damaged areas, highlighted faces and in most cases changed the colors of jackets and trousers. I also repainted many of the bed rolls and added some details that rarely show up in production figures.
Here are some of the end results... with several of them headed out to Mike Estell's growing ACW collection.

Here is a charging Reb that has a new head with added beard and some new paint.
DSCN9942.jpg

Here is a figure that sports a new head. I have repainted the jacket, trousers, blanket roll and added corporal stripes. Note the embroidered US marking on the blanket and the Company designation on the canteen.
DSCN9946.jpg

DSCN9948.jpg

Amazing!! I love the, Co. K on the canteen. Nice and historical. Which of course you already knew..

Here are three more Rebs headed out to Mike. I didn't think to shoot a picture next to the way they are issued by W. Britain. Next time I will try to remember.
In this grouping you can see that I again swapped heads and in the case of the one body style, cut the arm off and repositioned it.
All of these have had significant repainting too. I added the designation for New York State Militia (N.Y.S.M.) on the double envelope style back pack to indicate a captured pack. The bedroll on one of the figures was repainted with a rubberized poncho wrapped around it and the second one with a blue and white quilt.
DSCN9958.jpg

DSCN9954.jpg

DSCN9950.jpg

I spoke to Mike yesterday and he is very excited about these figures...they turned out very nice and Mestelle will have them working shortly...

A true talent Ken and thanks for sharing them with us. Looking forward to seeing what Mike comes up with placing them in a dio.

Now the burning question.......any conversion plans for the Zulu range :D:confused:

Here is a picture that I took while I was at Mike's a while ago that includes ACW figures I have sculpted for Ertl/W. Britain, Conte Collectibles, ONWTC and 1st Gear/W.Britain.
The two figures to the right of the flag and the three figures to the left are conversion/repaints. A couple of these went to Mike and the others to another collector. I guess I need to make some to keep as the original idea was to make variations for my own collection!
DSCN9510.jpg

Another closer shot of the fellows to the right.
DSCN9506.jpg

I hope you enjoy these. Hopefully after I get caught up with some of the other work around here I can get back to more conversions.
I have some plans to upgrade my Conte artillery sets by repainting figures, replacing the guns and mixing them with the artillery sets I have sculpted for 1st Gear/W.Britain.
All the Best,
Ken

Ken, its an understatment that I am excited about getting these one-of-a-kind conversion beauties. According to the UPS tracking info they should be arriving tomorrow. Once they are here I will photograph them along with the 4 coversions I got from you at Chicago. I'll use one of your bases too so the whole photo session will be H&A - I will post them here. How exciting can this get, nine one-of-a-kind master painted figures. I really like the detail you provided, NCO stripes, captured equipment, company designations, et al. Thank you so much - always a fan and all my best . . . . . .
:) Mike

Those are outstanding......love the detail.......can't wait for 2011 to see some of Ken's other stuff...........

Here is a photo of the four conversions I got from Ken at the Chicago OTSN show. When the other five figures arrive here tomorrow, I will combine all nine Confederates into a photo shoot . . . .

PICT0001-22.jpg

Hey Mike... I would like to see photos of the four marching figures side by side to see how they look together. I need to pick some more up to convert for my collection!
Ken

Well the reinforcements have arrived at my door step and I couldn't be happier with them - thank you very much Ken. To begin, I wanted to mention that each of the nine Confederate conversions that I now have come in their own labeled hard stock craft box which "harkens back to the day" of the general store - a very nice touch. Each box has been personally signed by Ken.

PICT0003-10.jpg

Hey Mike... I would like to see photos of the four marching figures side by side to see how they look together. I need to pick some more up to convert for my collection!
Ken

Per your request Ken, here are the four marching Confederates that have been converted from the same body pose . . . .

PICT0001-21.jpg

PICT0004-9.jpg

More to come soon showing all nine as a group - this will require a little bit of time to stage everything ;)

Per your request Ken, here are the four marching Confederates that have been converted from the same body pose . . . .

PICT0001-21.jpg

PICT0004-9.jpg

More to come soon showing all nine as a group - this will require a little bit of time to stage everything ;)

Such a great job who'd a thunk they were the same figure. I didn't even notice until you pointed it out !!

PICT0001-21.jpg

PICT0004-9.jpg

Lovely Jubbly

Cheers

Martyn:)

Such a great job who'd a thunk they were the same figure. I didn't even notice until you pointed it out !!

Isn't that the truth Scott. Each figure has had a different head placed on it, and each of the right arms have been altered to gain a different angle that the muskets are being held at. Then each were repainted differently.

Lovely Jubbly
Cheers
Martyn:)

I take it "Jubbly" means a good thing ;). Glad you like them Martyn.

Here they all are as a grouping. These are now my favorite nine figures. I have them arranged from left to right going from a normal "quick step" march, to the "double quick", and then to "charge bayonet". The NCO "file closer" is keeping a close eye on his troops. Everything you see in these photos (the converted figures, grassy base, backdrop, stone and split rail fence, and the shrubs are all Hudson and Allen products. Once again Ken, great job - thank you very much.

PICT0005-8.jpg

PICT0006-3.jpg

PICT0007-7.jpg

PICT0009-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back