Creating The Battle of Rorke's Drift (1 Viewer)

The figures you painted look very nice. I like seeing the castings and types of figures made through the years. Also, the making of your scenery and buildings are excellent. I still have a old catalog from Excalibur Hobbies I keep for reference and remember ordering from them before Hobby Bunker. My friend now seems more interested in taking pics. I told him to check your pics on forum.He has a computer but does not post. Is the Zulu period your only interest? I find the Sudan period interesting also. John

Although I started collecting figures of the ZULU War back in 83 prior to that I was into building World War Two kits produced by Tamiya along with the figures availabe at the time. After appearing at the Excaliba along with the purchase of my first ZULU figures I ended up collecting numerous kits by Historex. Got into Toy Soldier Collecting when Conte came out in 99 with the first ZULU Play Set and have been hooked on the period ever since. I've no longer any of my older kits, sold most of them off and all of the Tamiya items I pass on to my son in-law. I agree with you that The Sudan would be a fine period for collecting toy Soldiers. Thropy Miniatures produced a great line covering the period. Retired and on a budjet and limited in space I've narrow my collecting to figures of the Zulu War. Glad to hear that you've convinced you neighbor to check out the photos I've posted. I'd love to see photos from his collection and thanks for your encouagement and at this time I'd like to wish you and your loved one A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS........Joe

PS Hope Santa leaves a lot of goodies underr you tree.

Joe: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I am retired on pension so I don't buy everything that comes out.I still like doing Tamiya kits but sold off most of them this last year to a hobby shop. I still got 30 mounted Historex figures to make and other kits.
I did get the new 1/32 Italeri plastic Napoleonic kits. Nice sculpts and look forward to painting them this winter. Weather has been unusual mild here. Usually plenty of snow. First time I ever remembered priming figures outside in Dec. I guess working on figures or reading history is better then hanging out in a senior center. My son has his GI Joe collection but he has not done any models in years. Training grandson on the hobby. John

The Battle Continues now featuring Frontline Figures. Appearing in the second photo are Commissary Dalton and Lt. Andendorff and in photo four are Cpl. Schiess and the infamous pvt. Hookie. As mentioned earlier Dalon, Schiess and Hook are V. C. Winners. I won $50.00 while attending the Hobby Show in Dedham MA and purchased my first set of Frontline figures which was the V.C. Winners of Rorke's Drift and from time to time added additional set to my collection when I was able to fit it into my budjet. Additional photos to follow........."The Lt."

I've take the liberty of adding some additional photos showing some down and out hand to hand fighting during the frontal assaults of The Hospital as to where the fighting 24th push the Zulus back before they abanded it. Featured in The Last Redoubt is Surgeon Reynolds tending the wounded. he also received the Vitoria Cross. That's it for now enjoy the photos...The Lt.

Thanks Carlos for your encouragement. After reviewing your work for the first time I've a ways to go. Here's wishing you and yours a Very merry Christmas. Joe the Lt.

The Lt.

Thanks and to you as well…

Dioramas, (IMO) it’s about enjoyment and progress first and foremost.

It should never be about competition with other collectors in my humble opinion. This hobby should be a refuge from the competitive struggles of our daily lives. It is for me, I’m in corporate sales and everyday it’s about winning more than losing.

Besides it’s refreshing to see other collector’s dioramas depicting other battles from other Wars and eras.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Carlos

Thanks Lt. for stirring up interest in a rather neglected era on the forum, great job with displays and nice photos too.:) It's a shame about the Hobbybunker forum being terrorized, but if there's one good thing that came of that enormous act of stupidity, it's that you came here to post your Zulu War collection.:)

Fred

Thanks Lt. for stirring up interest in a rather neglected era on the forum, great job with displays and nice photos too.:) It's a shame about the Hobbybunker forum being terrorized, but if there's one good thing that came of that enormous act of stupidity, it's that you came here to post your Zulu War collection.:) Merry Christmas

Fred

Carlos I beleive as you do and the forum does give us a way of enjoying the aspects of our hobby. It's nice to see the many talented individuals work of art and their creativity. Fred thanks again for the compliment and along with my earlier wishes to Carlos here's wishing you and yours a Very Merry Christmas. Joe Q.

Joe,
Thanks a million for sharing your pictures. I remember as a kid seeing the movie Zulu on tv in the evening (believe it was the Sunday night movie of the week at the time) and I've been hooked on the period ever since. I am a fan of the movie, but as you pointed out, Zulu Dawn is a little more historically accurate. I collect in 1/72nd scale and have about 500 of the old Esci 24th foot and about 2000 Zulus, I've also got loads of the Esci/Airfix FFL and Arabs, as well as the Esci/Hat Sudan British and Egyptian sets, love the period very much.

If I am not mistaken, you attend the Dedham Toy Soldier Show and have asked me to locate the Conte mealy bag walls for you unpainted, correct? If I am wrong, I appologize. I'm George Guerriero from Minutemen Toy Soldiers. Let me know either way; in any case, your display looks excellent and if the person I am thinking of is you, I am still on the lookout for those walls for you, I've got wagons and biscuit walls unpainted, but no mealy bag walls.

You mentioned Excalibur, what a great store that was in Lexington, MA, Bill Murphy owed it and moved it to Malden. I used to work for Bill, he's a personal favorite of mine, a very nice guy and a terrific talent when it comes to making buildings. He and Matt make a terrific team and hit all the shows around the country. He gave me my start in this business and I forever be grateful for that..............

Hi George, Yep I'm the guy in the Aussie Cowboy hat who at that time asked if you would check into the walls for me. At this time I'm all set and I appreciated the fact that you got back to me qickly with an answer. Thanks for the kind comments and it's nice to know we share the same interest when in comes to the Zulu War. I've got both movies on DVD's and tape and continue to watch them on a regular bases. I agree with you on your feelings for Bill and Matt they've both done wonders for the hobby. Look forward to seeing you again at the next Dedham Show. Take care and have a Merry Christmas and a sucessful coming New Year........Joe The Lt.

Joe,
Thanks for confirming that and it's a real pleasure to have you here, this is a great place to hang out. I've always liked the colonial period, maybe it was all the great movies I saw as a kid, Zulu, Khartoum, Beau Geste, Gunga Din, Young Winston, The four feathers, on and on it goes.

Joe, do you remember the incredible diorama of Isandhlwana Norm Abbey did back in 1975 using about 200 Hinchliffe 54mm figures; it got a big write up in the July 1975 issue of Military Modelling and was a beauty.

Merry Christmas to you Joe and keep up the great work and I hope to see you at Dedham in the Spring.

Joe,
Thanks for confirming that and it's a real pleasure to have you here, this is a great place to hang out. I've always liked the colonial period, maybe it was all the great movies I saw as a kid, Zulu, Khartoum, Beau Geste, Gunga Din, Young Winston, The four feathers, on and on it goes.

Joe, do you remember the incredible diorama of Isandhlwana Norm Abbey did back in 1975 using about 200 Hinchliffe 54mm figures; it got a big write up in the July 1975 issue of Military Modelling and was a beauty.

Merry Christmas to you Joe and keep up the great work and I hope to see you at Dedham in the Spring.

Never saw the issue and wish I had really like the Hinchliffe I've acquired. Look forward to seeing you also. Take care and enjoy the holidays...Joe

Hi George, Yep I'm the guy in the Aussie Cowboy hat who at that time asked if you would check into the walls for me.........Joe The Lt.

Hi Joe, I've been watching your dios develop over the last week or so and I'm also a big Zulu movie fan. But what spurred me to post is your comment about your Aussie Cowboy hat. I live in Queensland which is almost the equivalent of Texas and I'm curious to know what you guys call an Aussie cowboy hat.

Hi Joe, I've been watching your dios develop over the last week or so and I'm also a big Zulu movie fan. But what spurred me to post is your comment about your Aussie Cowboy hat. I live in Queensland which is almost the equivalent of Texas and I'm curious to know what you guys call an Aussie cowboy hat.

For my 50th birthday awhile back I was given a Brown colored hat made by AKUBRA labeled Down Under and to this day it's my favorite along with another in black. I consider them one of the finest hats ever made and considerate a cowboy hat, photo on request.....Joe The Lt.

P.S. OzDigger wish you and yours a Merry Christmas

For my 50th birthday awhile back I was given a Brown colored hat made by AKUBRA labeled Down Under and to this day it's my favorite along with another in black. I consider them one of the finest hats ever made and considerate a cowboy hat, photo on request.....Joe The Lt.

P.S. OzDigger wish you and yours a Merry Christmas

Thought I'd add a photo

Hi Joe, now I see what you mean :) My wife actually has a 'downunder' in a bluish colour. I have a Akubra 'Snowy River' which is more like what most Aussie farmers would wear except for the under 40's that are more likely to wear baseball caps whilst driving their John Deer tractors, not much different to most US farmers in many respects but they don't see much snow :)

Btw, back in my banking days I used to work in Kempsey NSW where the Akubra factory is but I never did get around to visit it, but I did learn that felt is made out of rabbit fur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back