"DEGUELLO!" The Fall of the Alamo (2 Viewers)

Bob, It just keeps getting better and better. Your narration had me on the edge of my seat. How do you get suchgood close-ups?

As the battle raged in the plaza the Mestizo NCO rallied his troops to bring up scaling ladders used on the north wall. His orders were to clear the defenders from the convent roof and to tear down the norteamericano rebel flag.

"Suba a los muchachos de las escalas matelos todos y rasguelos abajo de sus colores!"

DSC00014-1.jpg

One of the enduring mysteries of the Alamo is what and how many flags did the Texian defenders have?

For the best part of 170 years it was widely accepted that the 1824 tri-color was the principal flag. However, I have always had a problem with that belief as the flag was essentially a Mexican tri-color of green, white and red substituting the eagle & serpent with the numerals 1-8-2-4 which intended to proclaim the rights of the Texians under the Constitution of 1824 which had been abolished by Santa Anna.

But Travis and his men were not promoting the return to the old system of constitution-they were real revolutionaries fighting and dying for complete independence from the shackles of Mexico. Now basing an assumption that men fight under flags that mean something to them, the 1824 tri-color just doesn't fit the ideal. My guess-and it is a guess- is that the principal flag would have been either The Dodson Tri-color or the Lone Star & Stripes widely referred to as the Texian Flag.

The flag depicted in these scenes is the azure blue banner of the New Orleans Greys-the volunteer outfit consisting of several companies of men from the Crescent City-and there is no doubt it was flown at the Alamo for it was captured and sent to Mexico City where it still resides to this day.

The first to climb were thrown back down either shot, stabbed, axed or just plain clubbed. Taking the Convento was going to be a deadly contest.

DSC00072.jpg

As the defenders leaned over the edge of the parapet to open fire on the scaling troops they were met by a fusilade of rifle-fire from the Mexicans firing from the plaza ground. The Texians quickly moved back from the edge of the building.

DSC00030-1.jpg

The soldados kept climbing the ladders as they were more frightened of their officers than they were the americanos defending the building.
Whilst the Texians keeping back from the edge waited for their attackers to show their heads then shot or clubbed them as they appeared-
Suddenly above the roar of the battle a cry went out

"To your right-coming across the low barrack roof!"

DSC00056.jpg

Sub Lieutenant Jose Maria Torres had led a squadron of Cazadores (The French called them Chasseurs; the British-light infantry) up onto the roof of the low barrack and using small scaling ladders crossed over to the convento roof. The Texans were now forced to fight on two fronts as half of them turned to face this new threat from the rear.

DSC00001.jpg

The Mestizo quickly noticed that for every one of his men's bodies crashing onto the plaza floor another was gaining the roof. Aware now that other Mexican troops were assailing the north side of the convento he screamed at his men

"usted! arriba, arriba!"

DSC000142.jpg

Now began a close quarter and bloody fight with no time for either side to reload their guns it became hand to hand with any weapon they could grab-No quarter was expected and no quarter was given

DSC00077.jpg

The sound of fearful fighting on the roof reached the ears of the Mexican NCO prompting him to harangue his troops one more time to scale the building and assist their comrades

"Los norteamericanos mal decidos son ramper apoyan a sus camaradas ahora. Fuego sus armas!"

DSC00026-1.jpg

Private James Buchanan had migrated from Alabama to Texas-already carrying two flesh wounds from the fight as he swung his musket at yet another attacker with more behind he suddenly realised that his reward for coming to Texas would not be free-land and wealth it would be instead a few grams of lead and a Mexican bayonet.

DSC00018.jpg

The defenders of the old friars quarters were now slowly being whittled down to just a mere handful.
It was now that Torres enacted the deadliest ritual of war-to capture the enemy flag.
Flags were then and continue to be powerful emblems and he decided that he Jose Maria Torres of the Jiminez Battalion will be the one to tear down the rebel's banner.

With grim dertermination he moved toward the Texan colors.

DSC00114-1.jpg

I have truly run out of compliments Reb.All i can say is awesome.

Rob

I have truly run out of compliments Reb.All i can say is awesome.

Rob
I am there with you mate; boy you are some fast Rob; three minutes after Reb's posting.:D

I can say again that I am again thunderstruck by the action, drama and impeccable attention to detail represented by this and the earlier installments. Each scene literally jumps off the screen at you and you can't help but feel the anger and fear, smell the smoke and blood and hear the screams, gunfire and clash of steel and wood.:eek::eek: Awesome is a pretty good word actually or as they would say here, AWESOME DUDE.;):D:cool:

Now that's what I call a diorama. After 173 years it brings the battle back to life. Well done indeed.

"Suba a los muchachos de las escalas matelos todos y rasguelos abajo de sus colores!"

YEHAAAAAA,

Excellent Reb. Did you create the Fortification? and which Camera you used?

Great job my friend...

Bob, got your pm. Here I am. Funny all of your knowledge about American History What is going to be next? Spanish American War? The Wind and the Lion story? One of my favorites. Great pictures. I am going to get a tripod one of these days. Going to take a digital photo class too after I move.

As usual, Reb, fantastic in every way. I learn more history, and enjoy learning it more, viewing and reading your diodramas, then I ever did in school!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

More visual masterpieces from the master of the melee:)
No one does action like the Reb.
Randy

Ooooooh Reb,

I'm sorry it's finally nearing an end. I have enjoyed your thread immensely.

Michael

Another Great Chapter in this Historic Story !

Wonderful Job - UK Reb !

..... Ugh, another foot closer for me to collect Alamo figures !! :rolleyes:

Ooooooh Reb,

I'm sorry it's finally nearing an end. I have enjoyed your thread immensely.

Michael

Thanks again guys for all of your kind comments. I would also like to express my appreciation for all the assistance and advice from Ed (eborris) who is THE Alamo expert of the forum.

Rod-Main buildings and walls are Barszo's and I use two cameras a Sony-cybershot fitted with a wide optical lens and a Canon SureShot for close-ups.

Mike-Fear not- I sketch/delineate on an artist board all the scenes that I need to portray linked to the Alamo history (what little we know) purely to see if they will work before I place/dress the buildings/walls and figures into the scene. Subsequently, it appears I can stretch it out for at least another six chapters. Bearing in mind posting 10 pictures at a time is pretty time consuming as really all the chapters should be viewed as almost happening at the same time i.e.
Crockett's men awaiting the final assault
De Le Pena's regiments charging the main gates
The slaughter in the Long Barracks
The assault on the Alamo flag.

Again guys very much appreciated and am chuffed that some of you are enjoying the thread.

Reb

Thanks again guys for all of your kind comments. I would also like to express my appreciation for all the assistance and advice from Ed (eborris) who is THE Alamo expert of the forum.

Rod-Main buildings and walls are Barszo's and I use two cameras a Sony-cybershot fitted with a wide optical lens and a Canon SureShot for close-ups.

Mike-Fear not- I sketch/delineate on an artist board all the scenes that I need to portray linked to the Alamo history (what little we know) purely to see if they will work before I place/dress the buildings/walls and figures into the scene. Subsequently, it appears I can stretch it out for at least another six chapters. Bearing in mind posting 10 pictures at a time is pretty time consuming as really all the chapters should be viewed as almost happening at the same time i.e.
Crockett's men awaiting the final assault
De Le Pena's regiments charging the main gates
The slaughter in the Long Barracks
The assault on the Alamo flag.

Again guys very much appreciated and am chuffed that some of you are enjoying the thread.
Reb

That may be!....but hurry up with the last chapter - you've got Waterloo to do next :eek::p:D:D

Really good and enjoyable. Thanks. :)

Jeff

Very cool action shots you make me want to drag out my Alamo stuff :)
I did like that Conte guy with the sawn off shot gun very grim reaper looking but cool fig :cool:

Keep em coming Reb.
Missus H's birthday present is almost complete, although I might have been better off taking her on a jolly to Hong Kong after all. Print cartridges ain't cheap, even in China, and I've gone through dozens of them so far.
:(:(
Cheers
H

I haven't looked at this thread in awhile but Reb this sure is some superb work! Makes me also want to get the Alamo figures but I will be good and not buy them. :D Again awesome work.:)

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread this morning. I'm supposed to be packing my truck to put on an ACW living history for 5th graders in Appomattox this weekend. Instead I find myself in front of the computer for the last hour totally engrossed in another of Rebs superb dio-dramas. I hope I dont slip up this weekend and call them Mexicans instead of Yankees! heehee. Gotta go.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back