Do You Collect Matte or Gloss and Age of Collectors (1 Viewer)

Do You Collect Gloss or Matte and How Old Are You?

• Gloss and between 0-19

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matte and between 0-19

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Gloss and between 20-29

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Matte and between 20-29

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Gloss and between 30-39

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Matte and between 30-39

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Gloss and between 40-49

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • Matte and between 40-49

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • Gloss and between 50-59

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Matte and between 50-59

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Gloss and between 60-69

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Matte and between 60-69

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Gloss and between 70-79

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Matte and between 70-79

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
Hi Guys,

Louis you need to put a display together that highlights one or two of your glossy sets for your museum and pull some of those thousands out of the dark so others can enjoy them too. Just one shelf or table top would be enough to show the difference in styles.

All the best

Dave

Dave,

I have a whole room in which every single one of my early glossy K&C sets (500+ figures) are on display - Seaforths in Khaki & Red, Indian Army Camel Corps, Royal Artillery, Indian Army, Sikhs, Guards Camel Corps, Napoleonics, AWI, 24th Foot, 8th Foot, Cavalry, Bands, oddity & personality figures, Zulus, Afghans, Romans, Rough Riders, Alamo, and Boxer Rebellion. In my aircraft room, there is an entire 12 foot by 6 foot RAF airfield diorama peopled with the glossy RAF & other aircraft related sets, along with display tables with more early K&C aircraft and the axis flyers (Luftwaffe pilots, Kamikaze Pilot). In the main room, the glossy WWI Flying Aces are displayed with the WWI aircraft, the glossy Jet Pilot is displayed with K&C jets, and an entire showcase is dedicated to the glossy WWII combat figures (82nd Airborne, US M.P., Free French, glossy Waffen SS) and early wood tanks (Sherman in US and UK markings, Panther & Tiger). I also have some glossy Frontline air war figures, Trophy crew on two Trophy ships, Tommy Atkins Jacobites and Heco figures on display.

34 and collect both in all conflicts. I buy whatever I like, from gloss, matt, scale, etc. Never can be tied down to just one thing, I would get bored. Buy it all and let my little guy sort it out when I am long gone!!!!!!! (Of course, I have binders of records, the thought of my wife giving my stuff away already has me ill at this age). I even put it in my will should I have an untimely demise, she is required to store all of my collectibles until my son is 18 and can make what I hope is a good decision about their disposition. Paranoid, huh>?

The trend is kind of obvious, there are more collectors of matte finished figures, because there has been a movement towards more realistic displays and dioramas. Everyone wants to have museum quality in their collection. I have both myself, but I paint in matte, and do very few traditional type figures. In fact when I was at OTSN, I picked up some VERY used dime store figures, I repainted two of the figures, one I did in gloss and the other I did in matte. The one in matte, most definetly now has an air of realism about it.

I had to think about this one...What do I buy vs what do I make? Hands down I purchase gloss figures, although I have hundreds of Matt figures because that is what I primarily sculpt and paint.

I'm 46 and and collect both. I probably have more glossy, but its too close to tell without counting. :)

I am pleased so far with the response to this poll and hoping for more people to vote in it. I also noticed that we have some new members as a result so I hope this poll will encourage others to join and vote in the poll.

I seem to be going back to gloss figures. The Redcoat series got me going again. I am 66 years old and still collect matte wwll K&C and JJ. I also paint most 1/35 Dragon and other figures in matte. Not counting painted plastics, I have more gloss figures. Leadmen

I seem to be going back to gloss figures. The Redcoat series got me going again. I am 66 years old and still collect matte wwll K&C and JJ. I also paint most 1/35 Dragon and other figures in matte. Not counting painted plastics, I have more gloss figures. Leadmen

I should say you do have more gloss figures John. How are you feeling these days?

KV-- I am feeling fairly well. I still have a leg problem but otherwise getting around better. Not strong enough for the chainsaw :D though. Glad I dodged a bullet last March and can keep plugging along. Thanks John

Matte is still leading in all of the sections under 60 years of age, it seems glossy toy soldiers are mainly for old geezers :p

I am 39 and collect matte figures never really could get into the gloss. Great Poll!

I'll tilt the scales a bit more - 36 and matte exclusively. I'd hate to think of my enemy being able to see the sun glint off my supposed "camouflage." :D

I am 42, and although I started collecting matte, I now collect mostly gloss. This also has to do with historical periods: I collected WWII in matte, now got into other periods which I prefer done in gloss. Don't ask me why, it's just one of those things:D. I must admit I initially had some prejudice against gloss soldiers, I thought their faces and bodies were not that well done and insufficiently realistic, but once I saw some Britains Durbar, Hocker, Trophy and Tradition live, among others, I saw the light and just fell in love with gloss.
This doesn't mean that I don't like matte, the upcoming Britains Museum series is under my sights and I love the K&C matte figures, I just have to make choices and right now my priority is gloss and historical periods from WWI and before.

Only gloss for me. I guess it dates back to when I started collecting vintage Britains which were only gloss.

I am 37 years old and collect matte only. I don't know why gloss doesn't appeal to me in the least, but it doesn't.

I collect matt world war II and gloss colonial and Napoleonics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back