Embarrassed about Collecting Toy Soldiers? (1 Viewer)

Collectors: How Old are You?

• Total voters
I am also in the military and I find that it does lend a little credibility to my hobby amongst those that may think it odd, but I really wouldn't care all too much anyway. There was a period for about 5 years during college where my hobby took a back seat to other things and sat in storage, but as soon as I settled down, got married, and got a home, the collection resurfaced and started to grow (much to my wife's chagrin:D )

-Kevin

I'm not embarrassed about it - but I do know that most of my friends find it strange...

Just this past weekend, a couple came over for dinner. I took them down to the basement to see my collection.. I have a lot of buildings and stuff that I've sculpted for Barzso Playsets - and they think that's cool - the castle especially has a WOW factor..

But when they understand that I got into scultping thru my collecting - then it's a different story.. The lady started asking me if all my "little guys" have names and do I ever have bad dreams about them, etc..

But it's ok - cause I don't really care..... that much,

Jim

:smile2: Embarrassed? No I'm not embarrarressed. I used to be, until I found most of my mates or even guys who visited saw the collection in the cabinet and took time to study them. I really think most guys have that secret interest in them, but wouldn't admit to it. Some come buy and ask so....what you been up to lately, hhmmm ?????? while looking at the new one on the paint stand. I also tell them they are model soldiers with accurrate details of uniform etc, to make them feel better about their interest, you know......more grown up. This hobby keeps me sane, even if it makes them crazy. Cheers, Johno.^&grin

Last edited:
I just had my morning coffee reading these threads. I don't think anyone should be embarrassed about collecting Toy Soldiers. It's a Hobby, I think Ragnar said it, better than sitting in front of a TV. This Hobby brought my surpressed artist out. I like converting the little plastic guys. But playing around with the insulating foam, and making things, has locked me. The Hobby has come a long way, the figures are more accurate, the Companies seem to want to please the buyers the best they can. The Dealers put on shows to try and sell the Hobby. The collecters from what I seen, are very passionate about what they collect. I played alot of sports growing up, missed out on military service. But alot of Police,Fire and exMilitary are in this Hobby. I feel everyone should have some kind of Hobby to keep their minds and hands sharp, this one works for me. I'm sure the younger collecters do feel a little embarrassed talking or showing their collections. Think about it, if you were dating a young lady, and she started showing you her Doll collection, what would you be thinking. I know I'd be saying to myself, I hope shes not bringing this collection into our apartment, or where ever. Just food for thought.:)

No embarassment here, it's all good, my friends, family, co -workers know I'm very happy to collect "toy soldiers" or whatever you want to call them, it's a fascinating hobby with much historical meaning behind alot of the collection I have.
I have other hobbies but no.1 is my soldier collecting and I plan on keeping it that way for a long time...Sammy

I don't think anyone should be embarased about collecting. You only have to look around this site to find people who've had there interest sparked in history, painting, sculpting etc. Compare that to the majority of society today who's main interest seams to be the lives of so called "Celebrities" or getting drunk at the weekends!

Martin

Actually when I was single, asking a women up to see my toy soldiers worked from time to time. My kids aren't embarrassed to show their friends my collection.

Come up and see the traverse on my K&C 88mm gun. You Smooth talker
Mitch

Actually when I was single, asking a women up to see my toy soldiers worked from time to time. My kids aren't embarrassed to show their friends my collection.

Ummm, sometimes. My daughter just told me to sell my collection so that I could buy her things. I mean more things. "Come on dad What are you doing with action figures."

Ummm, sometimes. My daughter just told me to sell my collection so that I could buy her things. I mean more things. "Come on dad What are you doing with action figures."

That's horrible:eek^&grin:{sm2}!
My condolences,
Sandor:salute::

I get embarrassed when I tell my mates how much the stuff costs

I get embarrassed when I tell my mates how much the stuff costs

Funny thing that mate, I am in the same boat....ironically, I generally deflect those types of questions to the best of my ability. I used to be mostly embarrassed internally. Still feel guilty at times but less now as I have just started to build my collection at my pace. I got lucky as Rome being my favorite period I got bombarded with Romans. I have a feeling a lot of Eastern Front fans have been able to say that over the last 2 years too.

I just saw this poll / thread and I was prompted to reply by an event a few years ago.

I am very proud on my collection and the History I have learned along the way. :smile2:

My wife had a few friends over a good while back; one of them was a teacher at a local school. She saw my collection, my books and videos and we started to talk about the collection and my knowledge on the American Rev. She wanted a way to motivate her students and help create a visual representation of that time period. She asked if I could do something for the school, here class and other classes.

Since then, I have set up 7 different mini-displays (maybe 50 - 70 figures) at the school and been invited to speak a dozen times on various topics on the Soldiers, the Revolution, Battles and Politics. I have also held various “Adult Ed” sessions where the highlight is a viewing of my collection.

Also, the curator at the "Henry Knox Museum"here in Maine, has asked if I could set up something for a month long American Revolution special event at the Museum.

Embarrassed ??? Heck NO! I can’t wait for retirement to do this “full time”

Larry

Great story Larry!!!

I have made several presentations for the Local HS Latin 3 classes to discuss Rome and Caesar. Very cool and humbling that you were asked to contribute to the Knox museum!!!

Like I said, the cost of this hobby today is pretty prohibitive. I have met several people over the years who have presented reasonable arguments as to why this hobby really isnt that expensive to other hobbies out there.

Larry and Chris, it's great you guys have found a way to share your passion and knowledge with the younger generation. My hat is off to you for making such a positive influence with the students. :smile2: BTW, I also share some guilt with the expense of collecting but that quickly fades with the next order. :rolleyes2: Chris

My partner calls it my crazy collection,My work colleagues call it weird,But to me i embrace all the elements of this hobby wth passion ie the history,the sculpture and the thrill of finding the next piece.
Bren {sm4}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back