Fancy a Knight out in Agincourt? (2 Viewers)

Nice work JB! I do believe I am witnessing an upward trajectory in your painting skills! Looks like its time to add another fortified shelf to the man cave wall!
Ray

Cheers Ray - glad you like 'em.

I am reminded of a remark made my Gary Player once (the golfer). A journalist once remarked to him that he was so lucky to have been born with the skill to play golf so well. He replied that - yes - he was indeed lucky to be so successful - but went on to say that he had noticed that the more he practiced - the luckier he became!:D

Made me smile - and I think it might be the same for me - and the more that I do of these - the better I get at it!:D I certainly hope so. {sm3}

As to the extra shelf - well - I desperately need another cabinet - as I now have quite a few of my various troops in temporary accomodation (boxes).

BUT - I'm trying to sell my house here ( close to the Spanish border) - and move location to a bit further up in France towards the English Channel ( or "Le Manche", in French). I'm reluctant to buy another cabinet yet though - as it will be just another thing to move!!!{sm2}

All the best - jb;)

In Peter Greenhill's book "Heraldic Miniature Knights" (1991), he discusses what he calls, 'The Ultimate Mongrel' - meaning an exclusive series of figures once produced by Richard Courtney - from castings of figure from The Knights of Agincourt, made by his friend, Roy Selwyn-Smith.

This set of figures consisted of just 21 pieces - of which just five were mounted, and the remaining sixteen were on foot. There are some of these gorgeous figures illustrated in Peter's book - and probably my favourite of the 5 mounted figures is from this series. It is of Lionel de Maldeghem - a Knight from Flanders, ( the town after he was named, is now in Belgium, I believe), who fought with the French at Agincourt. (Op.cit. pp 122/123).

Courtney used the Selwyn-Smith rearing horse for this figure - so I chose the same mount to try for a similar figure that I too could own. The original is, of course, way beyond my ownership!{eek3} I did change a few things with mine, however - including changing the weapon carried from a Mace - to a wicked looking double-headed spiked flail - well - just because I could, and had found a casting of this weapon. I also changed the tail of the horse a bit - to make the figure rear a little better - with some additional support provided by the inverted tail when pinned to the stand.

Here's my version below, attacking Lord Thomas Camoy at Agincourt - who is putting up his sword to ward off that wicked looking flail - just about to descend. I just loved that deep saffron colour of my new figure - so with a few spare parts for a new head, arm and weapon - I made the colour up from Humbrol Trainer yellow (24) with a touch of Red Brown (100), to get that gorgeous deep saffron colour. His blazon reads " Or a cross between twelve martlets gules, with a lion sable for difference" - which when translated to modern speech - means something like, a background of gold with a red cross between 12 birds, with a black lion added for difference to his ancestor's coat of arms. .

So.....Thanks go to Peter Greenhill for his inspirational picture, which made a great guide; Richard Courtney for the idea, and yet again - Roy Selwyn-Smith for the sculpt. Thanks also go to Dorset Soldiers and Irregular Miniatures for the bits and pieces required to make him up. A very pleasing figure - to add yet another Knight of Agincourt to my cabinet. jb

Hello JB,

I have the Greenhill book but your retelling of the heraldry was really fun to read.

Rgds Victor

Hello JB,

I have the Greenhill book but your retelling of the heraldry was really fun to read.

Rgds Victor

Yes - I remember you telling me that you also had the book Vic. Glad you enjoyed my tale - which was mainly put in for those who don't have a copy - though I would very much encourage them to ask Santa for one this Xmas, if they are at all interested in the genre - as it's just about my favourite book on the subject. I noticed that there are previously owned copies about at under £15 - on a well known Internet book site!

It's just lovely to attempt to follow in the footsteps of such illustrious makers of Toy Soldiers - and try to re-create some of their figures - however amateurishly.

I might re-take another snap or two of Lionel - as those below were done at around 1.00AM - and my overhead lamp has bleached out the colours quite a bit. One of the curses of "The Midnight Hour Painters" I s'pose. Hope you also liked the background pic - which is from a portion of a Medieval painting of Agincourt - from another of my books. jb:D

Last edited:

Of all the wonderful figures you've showcased in this thread I think these are two of your best yet jb, the colors are superb. {bravo}}

B. :salute::

Cheers buddy - glad you like him. I've re-photographed him - and the colour looks better now, in a different light.

This is the third time I have used this casting to make up a Knight - but the first time I've changed his head. Here are the other two in the background. You can see the other changes of weapon (the original version had the lance) - with the other two. Note also how I removed the original flowing tail - and re-attached it - inverted - to make the horse "sit" on it. he now rears a tad higher. I needed to move the two rear legs of the horse along the stand a bit to achieve this - but this helps with the stability of the piece - and makes it more robust.

Looks a bit more menacing now, I think - and a bit more like the Courtney/Selwyn-Smith beauty in Peter Greenhill's book. I like this casting very much - so will doubtless use it again at some time - for yet another version of a different Knight. I'm running out of weapons to use though:D jb

Nice job JB! Think I like the red and white with lance in the background most, looks like you did a bang up job on that one's heraldry
Ray

John, I must apologize, because I haven't really followed this thread, and I should have much sooner. Your knights are beautiful! I love your concept of re-creating the look of Courtenay, Greenhill and Selwyn-Smith, and you have achieved your goal. Your Oriflamme is just exquisite, as is the rest of your heraldry. You have a beautiful collection here, and I think you should show it at the next BMSS annual show. I think you have produced an award-winning series here.

By coincidence, I'm re-reading Simon Schama's "A History of Britain" and I just got through the late medieval period, so your collection resonates so clearly right now.

I will go back over this entire thread this evening, with a nice glass of beer, and take in your figures in much closer attention than I can give here at work.

I am sorry that I have not followed this thread before now, my hat is off to you, mein Herr! Well done!

Prost!
Brad

Nice job JB! Think I like the red and white with lance in the background most, looks like you did a bang up job on that one's heraldry
Ray

Thanks Ray - though the one you like ( Sir John Wauncy c.1322), is one of the first of the Knights that I did - a couple of years ago. Glad you like him though. :D

Little did I realise back when I began painting them - just where this interest in the old Knights would lead. I just meant to make a few - but they just kind of grow on you!:rolleyes: I've learned a lot more about them since then - and with each one completed - I realise how much more there is to know about them too. My wife often tells me, that it's become almost an obsession with me - and I think that she's probably right - but in a very pleasant way.^&grin

Along the way - I've learned a lot more about some of the early makers of such figures too. Richard Courtney, Freddy Ping, Roy Selwyn-Smith and Charles Stadden, are just great former makers of this genre. Also, up to the present with Bob Hornung and Peter Greenhill - who produce masterpieces right up to today. Another favourite painter of mine, is Tye Roberts, who is well worth a look at his online site - who I also draw great inspiration from.

I like all of the ones that I've produced from bits and pieces and other folks castings so far - and it pleases me that some others like 'em too. I'll keep posting what I produce here - so keep watching from time to time for new pieces.

Thanks again - good to know. :salute:: jb

John, I must apologize, because I haven't really followed this thread, and I should have much sooner. Your knights are beautiful! I love your concept of re-creating the look of Courtenay, Greenhill and Selwyn-Smith, and you have achieved your goal. Your Oriflamme is just exquisite, as is the rest of your heraldry. You have a beautiful collection here, and I think you should show it at the next BMSS annual show. I think you have produced an award-winning series here.

By coincidence, I'm re-reading Simon Schama's "A History of Britain" and I just got through the late medieval period, so your collection resonates so clearly right now.

I will go back over this entire thread this evening, with a nice glass of beer, and take in your figures in much closer attention than I can give here at work.

I am sorry that I have not followed this thread before now, my hat is off to you, mein Herr! Well done!

Prost!
Brad

Cheers Brad - glad you like 'em too, though I don't think they are that good individually - but they do look okay when they ALL come out to play.:D But that's the real beauty of Glossies - the more there are - the better they look!

Where's my brush! {sm3} Prost. jb

Thanks Ray - though the one you like ( Sir John Wauncy c.1322), is one of the first of the Knights that I did - a couple of years ago. Glad you like him though. :D

Little did I realise back when I began painting them - just where this interest in the old Knights would lead. I just meant to make a few - but they just kind of grow on you!:rolleyes: I've learned a lot more about them since then - and with each one completed - I realise how much more there is to know about them too. My wife often tells me, that it's become almost an obsession with me - and I think that she's probably right - but in a very pleasant way.^&grin

Along the way - I've learned a lot more about some of the early makers of such figures too. Richard Courtney, Freddy Ping, Roy Selwyn-Smith and Charles Stadden, are just great former makers of this genre. Also, up to the present with Bob Hornung and Peter Greenhill - who produce masterpieces right up to today. Another favourite painter of mine, is Tye Roberts, who is well worth a look at his online site - who I also draw great inspiration from.

I like all of the ones that I've produced from bits and pieces and other folks castings so far - and it pleases me that some others like 'em too. I'll keep posting what I produce here - so keep watching from time to time for new pieces.

Thanks again - good to know. :salute:: jb

Dude, you don't need to explain about obsession around here.....still as far as obsession goes yours is quite good :cool:^&grin:D
Ray

In between packing up ( and then unpacking paint and brushes!^&grin), I have been continuing with another Knight. Again, past the time of Agincourt - and now in the troubled times we now know as "The Wars of the Roses"). There is a link though, as my knight's father fought with King Henry V, in the Agincourt campaign. (He was also William Herbert - though he had changed his name from the Welsh William ap Thomas, by then - as he was Lord of Raglan - and the founder of the castle).

I have adapted yet another repro- Selwyn-Smith casting, from Dorset Soldiers - to include parts from Irregular miniatures (Head with Sallet helm) - and scabbard and shield again from Dorset.

My figure has now become Sir William Herbert (1423-1469) Earl of Pembroke. A prominant supporter of the Yorkist cause, He is shown here as a Yorkist Commander in the Wars - circa 1460. He was to die shortly after the Battle of Edgecoat (1469) when he was captured and executed by the Lancastrians, his head being struck from his body.

I did feel a pang of remorse too, when I removed the original head from this casting - and replaced the open visored original, with a Sallet - which is more appropriate for the development of armour at that time. I also replaced the cast in scabbarded sword, removing it by surgery - and replacing it with an empty scabbard which was a spare part from Dorset once again. His raised sword arm is from another Selwyn-Smith figure - as the original one held a lance. I also moved the horse slightly further back along the base, so that his original front right hoof now just touches down onto the base - which makes for a more secure figure than the original - where the hoof was normally posed just above the base. On equestrian figures - three points of contact are usually safer than just two. This hoof is pinned and glued in place. Just required two new holes for the rear hooves to fit into to be drilled - and the old holes filled and sanded back flat.

I think I'll keep the odd brush or two available - to save searching them out again. I'll hopefully be moving to another French location sometime after Xmas, if all goes to plan - but the way the bureaucracy chugs along here - it may be some time before I get chance to post some more figures, currently underway. See you later. :D

Three views of my latest Knight - below. jb

Beautiful piece, John! Do you have enough yet to set up a 15th century battlefield scene?

...I also moved the horse slightly further back along the base, so that his original front right hoof now just touches down onto the base - which makes for a more secure figure than the original - where the hoof was normally posed just above the base. On equestrian figures - three points of contact are usually safer than just two...

I agree, and not just for mounted pieces. Balance is very important, if you don't want your figure to tip over. I have a flagbearer on the bench right now, with a solid white metal flag, and a base the size of a quarter. I had to cut a two-inch-square piece of copper sheeting for a base, because I kept knocking him over.

I look forward to seeing your next pieces in this series!

Prosit!
Brad

Beautiful piece, John! Do you have enough yet to set up a 15th century battlefield scene?

I agree, and not just for mounted pieces. Balance is very important, if you don't want your figure to tip over. I have a flagbearer on the bench right now, with a solid white metal flag, and a base the size of a quarter. I had to cut a two-inch-square piece of copper sheeting for a base, because I kept knocking him over.

I look forward to seeing your next pieces in this series!

Prosit!
Brad

Ha! - Snag is - I haven't dated them all - so would have to look them up in my book! However, I have to admit that I often set 'em up a bit - just to see how they look together, regardless of whether they are contemporaries or not! As usual with Glossies - the more there are together - the better they look. Most are now packed away - but when they come out again - I'll have to set 'em up and post a few pics.

I do so agree about bases Brad. Height and weight distribution is important too - if you wish to avoid accidents. Even when you're taking the greatest care setting them up - or even dusting - too small a base can lead to bumps and falls - which cause the chips and breakages we don't require. As I also like Bands, I take care to check out awkward instruments too - such as Base drums or Bombardons - which are often front Heavy - so need a base big enough to handle it.

Glad you like him Brad. jb

Hi JB,
really lovely Knights in nice bright GLOSS colours. Great fun to watch and seeing you finding new subjects again and again. Looking forward to what you might turn up with for this "newfound" period in history.
As for the upcoming forced break I keep my fingers crossed that it might be as brief as possible - but trust me I do know that feeling ... head up anyway:smile2:
Kind Regards
Wolfgang

Hi JB,
really lovely Knights in nice bright GLOSS colours. Great fun to watch and seeing you finding new subjects again and again. Looking forward to what you might turn up with for this "newfound" period in history.
As for the upcoming forced break I keep my fingers crossed that it might be as brief as possible - but trust me I do know that feeling ... head up anyway:smile2:
Kind Regards
Wolfgang

Cheers buddy - glad you like 'em too!:D We'll get there - someday!!:eek:

I thought you might like to see two more of my castings which are going to join my Medieval shelf - one of these days. They were both originally, the identical casting to the one just completed - Sir William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke, (see - centre).

Note that all of the figures have had the original cast-in head (with open visor - see at the front hooves of this horse) removed with a fine saw. The left hand figure has been modified by drilling, pinning and glueing a closed visor head in place - the joint being filled with a small sculpted piece of milliput. He is going to become Sir John Seagrave - an English Knight involved in The Scottish Independance Wars around 1302 - so this head will be fine for around that time. He will have arm with lance, shield and scabbarded sword at his belt - which you can see unattached in front of the horse. I like to paint much of the heraldry on the body of the figure before attaching these items - it's just so much easier than trying to get a brush around them.

The right-hand figure - is to have a tournament Great Helm - which will be detachable - "a la Courtney's" - see in front again - and either a drawn sword arm - or maybe an axe (Haven't quite decided yet - which to have). I fancy him to become a French Knight - Phillipe, Comte de Nevers - as I have a gorgeous pic of him in Peter Greenhill's lovely book, referred to earlier in this thread - although Peter's version has a different head.

You may also note the slight modification to the bases - where new holes are drilled for the rear hooves of the horse - and the old ones filled. This allows the front right foot to touch down on the base - instead of floating slightly in front and above. I note that Peter likes to have three hooves grounded too - though his solution is to replace the original base, with a bigger, oblong one.

I will be working on this pair - as time allows - so hope to complete them before our move takes place. If not................watch this space - sometime, next year!

There isn't any rush though - they will be completed - whenever time allows.:D jb

Last edited:
Another well done figure John! it's great to know the history of each figure and heraldry.
So are you moving because you've run out of shelf space? ;)
Ray

Another well done figure John! it's great to know the history of each figure and heraldry.
So are you moving because you've run out of shelf space? ;)
Ray

Glad you like 'em Ray. Yes - I like to find out as much as I can about the real people who were the Knights of Old that I like so much. They were real people - who (mostly) had fascinating lives. Some of them - quite short too! Some of 'em were considered "old" if they got much beyond 40 or so. I concentrate on getting as much right as I possibly can with each figure - and boy - they do look good "en masse".

I have loads of space here for many more figures Ray - but house/garden is just TOO big for two - so time to get a smaller home - and also have less distance to travel for UK visits as well. I'll make sure that my "lads" still have a room though - and my painting space is catered for!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back