Fancy a Knight out in Agincourt? (1 Viewer)

"Ivanhoe" was on Turner Classics yesterday evening, and I remembered the renewed interest in medieval figures that it touched off. Your thread reminds me very much of the film, John.

Prost!
Brad

"Ivanhoe" was on Turner Classics yesterday evening, and I remembered the renewed interest in medieval figures that it touched off. Your thread reminds me very much of the film, John.

Prost!
Brad

I watched the 1982 version a couple of months ago Brad - entertaining - but hardly educational, as far as most of the heraldry went!^&grin Looked like they were on " a budget". However, they were "having a go" with swordplay and jousting etcetera, so worth a light-hearted look.

I'm enjoying a day off - so have been working on Sir John Segrave - a bit more, today. I painted the under-parts of the horse - so fitted him to the stand earlier (saves handling painted parts - as I can now hold the stand, as well as his tail - both getting painted last). I made him a shield from an empty Soda can, which I painted before fitting. Just fitted it to my figure - here's a peek at him developing a bit now - quite pleased with the effect - so far. His sword is just hanging off a pin at the moment - as I'll be painting both Lions Rampant on the caparison later on this evening (I only do one side at a time - to help stop smudges). I'll take the sword off before painting the rear end!

The family blazon reads; "De Sable, lioun rampant d'arget, courone" ..........so..............Black background, with Crowned white lion Rampant. Two more each side of the horse ( dexter side facing forward also, and a smaller version on front and back of his short jupon - yet to do). Once his body is completed - I will fit his arm with lance and blend that into the part-painted figure with a bit of milliput - and then touch in the joint. For me, this is always the most enjoyable part of the process - as the figure starts to "come to life", more and more, as parts are painted and fitted.

Like him so far??:D jb

Seems like I'm getting quicker at finishing these off, these days - or maybe it's because I've been burning the midnight oil once again!^&grin

Anyhow, Sir john Segrave (1256-1325) can now take his place alongside my previous figure - although there is really no way this could have happened - as Sir john was long gone - before William Herbert was born.

Sir John (nice ring to that - don't you think?:D), was the Governor General of what was then described as "The Province of Scotland", as it was described by the English King Edward. He was also heavily involved with the Scots, in their struggle for independence (so.............nothing new there then!). He fought (and lost) against the forces of William Wallace at the Battle of Roslyn (1303) - where he was captured and ransomed) by the victorious Scots. They must have regretted this - for later he was to be charged with displaying Wallace's quartered body to various towns of Scotland - later on in the struggle for independence, when the tide had turned somewhat.

Here he is, however, in happier times (c.1300) - displaying the striking coat-of-arms of the Segrave family - on his Jupon and horse barding, lance in hand - and sword on hip. jb

That's me Scott - Cap'n Birds-eye!:D

Glad you like 'em. Great fun to do too. I just enjoy this old genre so much - I can't resist getting a few more castings every time I visit Dorset - and trying out my hand at a few more of them.

I think it's actually good for me too. Being a diabetic, I'm only too aware that failing eyesight COULD become a problem for me at some time - so I'm keeping going with tricky things to paint for as long as I can. My Doc seems to agree with me - because every time my Annual check-up comes around - he just says "Keep on doing what you're doing" - and so I do.:cool:

Helps of course, if you have a good Magnifying lamp - or a lamp and Optivisor - and I use both (though rarely at the same time!^&grin).

Just starting my last Medieval casting, for the moment - which again began as a re-cast of the same KOA figure. I'll be doing a few modifications agin though, as I like to make all of my collection, just a little different from each other. Next is a French knight - 'Philippe de Bourgogne, Comte de Nevers'. His Blazon reads "France modern, a bordure gobony, argent et gules" I got the idea once again from Peter Greenhill's marvelous book, "Heraldic Miniature Knights" - so my version will hopefully look something like his, though I'm using a different head, again: ( see page 120 - if you have the book). If not - just wait a bit - and I'll post some pics of him too. :D

Cheers for now - jb

Tremendous painting of the heraldry. That is amazing. Continue to do what you are doing. :)

Well cheers buddy! - glad you like 'em too.:D

I AM continuing with them - and to prove it - here's Philippe de Bourgogne - at an early stage of development below. Again, the same horse/rider starting point - butI'm trying out something new (for me) with this figure. I'm trying to follow in the footsteps of Richard Courtney - and have given him a bare head - and will try for a removable Great Helm for the figure. (see at the base of the horse), which he frequently did - though not for this figure. I'm not sure whether it will scratch the face-paintwork - but if it doesn't work out - I can always just glue on the helm permanently - as I usually do.

I've also gone for a raised sword right arm - and a Courtney style empty scabbard. The pose and colour scheme will be the same as the lovely hybrid Selwyn-Courtney figure though - which attracted me to it in the first place. I believe that Courtney only made one like it - so the original is super-rare.

Anyhow - here's my version - so far...... jb.......(to be continued){sm4}

JB, when you see the crude looking parts it's quite the transition to your fine completed figures.
Ray

JB, when you see the crude looking parts it's quite the transition to your fine completed figures.
Ray

Well buddy - it's nearly always like that to begin with. Most all conventional TS begin with a casting - or parts of castings - and the fun for me - is in putting the parts together - and eventually getting a good looking figure out of it all at the end.

Beats me - why anyone would pay extra for a painted figure - when THEY get all the fun of putting them together and painting them!;)

Remember too - that all three of these - began life as the SAME casting. So............goes to show what you can do with a few extra bits and pieces - a few simple tools - the odd scrap of putty - and a few dabs of paint splashed about. Great fun.

But you already know this - as I've seen some of your earlier work! C'mon - get the brushes out and join in. {sm4}jb

I'd love to JB but since I moved space is at a premium, have you noticed all my flat photography is on large volume book?!?!?!:confused:
If I had a space that I could leave projects sitting and not interfere with day to day activity I would have projects rolling, still have 2 boxes of various paints , coatings and treatments plus boxes of tools and Lots of boxes of reference material but to clear them out when not working would be daunting, some day I hope.;)
Ray

I'd love to JB but since I moved space is at a premium, have you noticed all my flat photography is on large volume book?!?!?!:confused:
If I had a space that I could leave projects sitting and not interfere with day to day activity I would have projects rolling, still have 2 boxes of various paints , coatings and treatments plus boxes of tools and Lots of boxes of reference material but to clear them out when not working would be daunting, some day I hope.;)
Ray

That darn "work" gets in the way all of the time. I didn't really start up again until I'd had enough of that - so maybe it's for you again - at some time in the future. Yes - had noticed the book - have you noticed my "Shoe-box Photo Booth"??:D

Best - jb:salute::

Here's my third Knight - and this time he really was at Agincourt!- He's Philippe de Bourgogne, Comte de Nevers. I have attempted to follow the colour scheme of the original figure that I based this one on - painted by Richard Courtney, who borrowed the casting from Roy Selwyn-Smith to first create him. I've changed the head and sword scabbard from his original - but used parts that Courtney would have been very familiar with.

I've shown him with his detachable Great Helm off his head - and am waiting for paint/varnish to harden off - before attempting to put it on (in case of a tight fit and scratches). I'll take another pic - when it's ready - and on the figure.

Here's a couple of views of all three of my latest below. Surprising how different they all look now - despite them all starting of as exactly the same casting to begin with. jb

Great work JB! I would swear there is an incremental rise in quality every project you show, the new King of Knights!
Ray

Bourgogne looks great, John! I like that you're adopting Courtenay's touch of having a removable helm, too.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks guys, glad you like 'em.^&grin

This one was a bit trickier - because of the red and white border edging - which was done on the horse caparison before the centre decoration was added - so needed careful handling. For any further Knights with removable helms - I think I'm going to need a different head - as it is really too snugly fitting. So I think I'll leave this one on, as my prototype - and have a word with Giles about a looser fit for the future. I think I actually prefer him with the helm on anyway. Looks more imposing, to me. Good experiment though - learned something from it - and admire Courtney even more now. :D

Here's more pics - with his Helm on. jb

Another addition to my collection of my larger Knights in 54mm scale - and another bearer of the French Oriflamme this time.

My earlier Knight carrying this Sacred standard - was Gui Sieur de Tremoillle at Crecy - which I showed earlier in this thread. I enjoyed making him up so much - I decided to do another version - but this time, chose Sieur Miles de Noyers, who carried it at the earlier battle of Cassel (1328). Miles survived that battle - unlike Gui, who died at Crecy.

As there is no existing version of the flag - it is open to interpretation as to what it actually looked like - but many description exist - from which reconstructions can be made. I chose to make mine up - as below - mainly in red and gold - with five tails - similar to, but not exactly the same as my earlier flag.

The casting is again a modified re-cast of one of the Knights of Agincourt - originally made by Roy-Selwyn Smith. Bothy arms were replaced by heavily modified parts/scratch built parts - whilst the Flag was made from heavy metal foil from a wine bottle. The pole was a straightened paper-clip, inserted into a drilled out hand! Three views below. jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back