Fancy a Knight out in Agincourt? (1 Viewer)

OK too wierd, who's head on the helmet or self portait is that supposed to be? {sm2}
Ray

I just knew someone would ask Ray, and it's been driving me nuts trying to find out who - or what that head is supposed to depict.

One theory that I have - is that William de Clinton (1304-1354 - Earl of Huntingdon), was a boyhood companion of the boy who would later become King Edward III. He was a lifelong supporter - and helped Edward to the throne - by having The Earl of March (Sir Roger Mortimor - who was opposed to Edward), arrested and executed - which cleared the way for Edward. I think the "head" could depict Mortimor - and act as a permanent reminder to King Eddie - just who had helped him get to be King.

Typical of the intrigues and machinations - back in those Bad old days of Civil War - what we call "The Wars of the Roses" nowadays.

Maybe someone else knows?????:D jb

Along with my new "Man at Arms" figure - who became The Black Prince - seen earlier, I also bought a few British Archers and a crossbowman from the Irregular Miniatures range. I already have a few archers - so I'm always looking out likely new recruits to join my band. A couple of these have had head changes - using the alternative heads from the pack I mentioned earlier (also from Irregular Miniatures). I finished off painting these - in my usual Glossy Toy Soldier style last night.

The two bowmen to the right of my picture have had heads changed to one wearing bascinets - which were often favoured by bowmen - as it did not impede drawing the bowstring right back to touch the ear before loosing the arrow - which gives maximum power to the shot. These lads will fight alongside my growing band at Agincourt one day - hence the red crosses hastily sown in place on the order of Henry V. However, it is the Black Prince who commands here today. jb

You have a good thread running here JB! ^&cool....it was a very colourful period of our history, so you should be able to carry on adding to your collection for a while yet! :wink2:

Looking forward to seeing the latest recruits.

All the best. :salute::

Jeff

You have a good thread running here JB! ^&cool....it was a very colourful period of our history, so you should be able to carry on adding to your collection for a while yet! :wink2:

Looking forward to seeing the latest recruits.

All the best. :salute::

Jeff

Hi Jeff - long time - no hear - how's tricks.

I have been enjoying this period in history too Jeff. When I first started painting them - I had little grasp of just where it would lead. Fellow members of the Forum have helped considerably with my "Medieval Education" - notably Gideon - who gave me a few clues to go on - regarding the history of Knight figures - including Courtney, Ping, Selwyn-Smith and Greenhill et al. The latter's book on Heraldic Knights was the real eye-opener though - and the castings that I find and paint (however amateurish) are really trying to emulate what all of these guys did - or do - in Peter Greenhill's case - but at a price I can afford!^&grin

However, given the lack of sufficient free funds, (or the will), to join in the collecting of such figures by these worthies - whose Medieval's sometimes change hands for very large sums of money, sometimes running into four figures - I content myself with painting what I CAN afford - and must say, enjoy that immensely.

I still have one more Stadden to complete too.:cool:

I've also just come back from another visit to Giles Brown - at Dorset Soldiers - and have added another ten medieval castings and a bucketful of spare parts - to adapt and paint when the weather turns colder. There'll be five mounted and five on foot - and I have a few ideas for who they will become in due course - but that, as they say, will become clearer when I start them off. I have been looking at some French figures carrying the sacred "Oriflame" of late - so will be trying for a figure in that ilk firstly.

This thread will, therefore, continue to run for yet a while longer - and my collection continue to expand.

See you later{sm4}

I wasn't sure if these next pics would work - but am including them anyway as "a work in progress".

I have long admired the picture of a Greenhill/Courtney on the front cover of Peter's book on Heraldic Miniature Knights. The French Knight shown there is Gui, Sieur de la Tremoille - and he is carrying The sacred French Banner, the Oriflamme. Unwilling to cough up the sums of money required to actually buy one of these wonderful pieces - I hit upon a plan to paint a similar figure for myself.

Not having a Courtney casting - I thought that one of Roy Selwyn Smith's marvelous "Knights of Agincourt" series - might just be suitable - with a few tweaks along the way. So, having obtained one of the rearing horse figures as a casting - I set to work to adapt it.

I firstly removed the horse tail, and turned it upside down - then re-pinned it back in place. This was so that the front legs could rear higher, and the figure "sit" on the inverted tail. This gave a triangle of contact points with the base ( two legs and base of tail), so very secure. The front legs of course, were moved further forward along the base to make it all fit. All three points were secured to the base by glue and pins. I also changed the head of my Knight - to one with a bascinet and visor and the right arm was also changed for one that could hold the Oriflamme out to the side.

I have virtually finished my horse and knight - and am currently working on the banner - by building up the design - on a flag of my own design.

I've got this far.

Here's the cover - with my attempt at Gui (so far) in front. jb

Here's my finished figure - my version of Gui, Sieur de la Tremoille - carrying the Oriflamme - as he did at Crecy in 1346. My previous pics weren't really all that successful - so I have reverted to my tried and trusted carboard backdrop - with a nice pic in front. I don't have one of Crecy - so hope this Castle will suffice instead!

My figure is an adapted casting - with several changes made to the original, to be able to include various pieces of equipment, including my scratch-built Oriflamme (made from a Coke can and a piece of wire!) - and with the idea of getting close to the Greenhill version ( see earlier post). I didn't want the ornate top to the head armour - or flowing Lambrequin behind, however - as I wanted my Gui to be on his way to battle - and NOT at a tournament - where the Oriflamme would have been inappropriate. It's a battle-flag, signifying no quarter is to be given - and he's going to the Battlefield at Crecy.

Here are five views of my version - below. jb

Really very spectacular figure JB, I rate this my favorite of your knights! :salute::
Ray

\
Here's my finished figure - my version of Gui, Sieur de la Tremoille - carrying the Oriflamme - as he did at Crecy in 1346. My previous pics weren't really all that successful - so I have reverted to my tried and trusted carboard backdrop - with a nice pic in front. I don't have one of Crecy - so hope this Castle will suffice instead!

My figure is an adapted casting - with several changes made to the original, to be able to include various pieces of equipment, including my scratch-built Oriflamme (made from a Coke can and a piece of wire!) - and with the idea of getting close to the Greenhill version ( see earlier post). I didn't want the ornate top to the head armour - or flowing Lambrequin behind, however - as I wanted my Gui to be on his way to battle - and NOT at a tournament - where the Oriflamme would have been inappropriate. It's a battle-flag, signifying no quarter is to be given - and he's going to the Battlefield at Crecy.

Here are five views of my version - below. jb

Really very spectacular figure JB, I rate this my favorite of your knights! :salute::
Ray

\

Hi Ray - That's nice - thankyou - glad you like him. I think my dabbling with flats has helped me considerably with having the confidence to tackle such an intricate design as that Coat-of-Arms. I just loved the figure from the moment I bought the book and saw him on the cover - but had been putting off any attempt at him until quite recently.

I had been thinking about how I might get a similar pose for some time - 'cos that's always the tricky part - and finally worked out how I might do it - with a casting that I knew I could get hold of - and varied bits and pieces from other UK Medieval castings suppliers. So......with several deep breaths - I just had a go. I told myself that if it didn't work out - I could always strip him back to bare metal - and try an easier design. BUT , I'm pleased to say - he seems to have worked out okay.

I've painted him in my Glossy Toy Soldier style - which is a bit "chunkier" than the fine-lined versions done by Peter Greenhill (whom I really do admire, for his skill), but that's just the way I like them best. Mine has also worked out a darned sight cheaper than the real thing, I'm VERY happy to say!!{eek3}

He will certainly fit in very well with the rest of my small (but growing) Medieval Army - though he won't be travelling back with me on the 'plane this time - that will wait until I have my car over next time (same with my Staddens - as they would have to go in "Hold Luggage" too - and I don't fancy that!!).{sm2} I have packed a load of bare metal castings to go that way - but they usually survive the 'plane okay - so will have a few others to get on with until I'm over next.

Thanks go to Dorset Soldiers; Irregular Miniatures: Whitetower Miniatures - and Coca Cola (who supplied the can to make the banner:D{sm3})

So..... I'm pleased he came out like he did - and also pleased that you like him that much too. Thanks Ray - much appreciated. :DJB

Here's a couple of views of my nearly finished Henry (Hotspur) Percy c.1400. Not quite completed, but I have a 'plane to catch - so this is the last I will see of him until Xmas, when I'm back again. I'll do the finishing touches later. He needs a Label on his Coat of Arms and a few more bits and pieces to be finished off and tidied up - but almost there.

This is the last of my six Stadden finds that I made earlier - so packing these away, for now. jb

Here's a couple of views of my nearly finished Henry (Hotspur) Percy c.1400. Not quite completed, but I have a 'plane to catch - so this is the last I will see of him until Xmas, when I'm back again. I'll do the finishing touches later. He needs a Label on his Coat of Arms and a few more bits and pieces to be finished off and tidied up - but almost there.

This is the last of my six Stadden finds that I made earlier - so packing these away, for now. jb

Blimey jb until after Xmas.....hope they let you out for good behavior ^&grin

Cheers

Martyn:)

Blimey jb until after Xmas.....hope they let you out for good behavior ^&grin

Cheers

Noooooo. Not there!!!! I'm going somewhere nice an warm! ( assuming anyone will be flying.............. again .....)

Back for Xmas..........so he's the one going in a box - for a while. ;) jb

Noooooo. Not there!!!! I'm going somewhere nice an warm! ( assuming anyone will be flying.............. again .....)

Back for Xmas..........so he's the one going in a box - for a while. ;) jb

Hope you won't be affected by the Iceland volcano should it erupt {eek3}

Safe trip {bravo}}

You've seen one of these before (the one with the spear). It's the other one that's new ( the one with the mace). BUT - hang on a minute - they DO look very similar!!!

That's because they both started out as the same casting. These are both one of the old "Knights of Agincourt", sculpted by Roy Selwyn Smith again - which are some of my old favourites. It occurred to me ( as with many others), that by changing over some weapons - and tweaking the positioning of some minor parts - and then painting them in different liveries/coats-of-arms, some entirely new figures might be possible.

So...........with this in mind, I bought another set of re-cast castings of the original five foot knights made by Roy - along with a few bits and pieces that I thought might come in handy. Below, see the first fruit of my labours. I have shown my "new" figure, armed with a mace instead of the original lance - and thought it might be fun to show both my original figure - and the new one - in combat.

My latest Knight with mace - is Sir Thomas Montagu, Erle of Salisbury, who fought at Agincourt. He is shown here fighting my earlier figure, Sir Richard le Staple.

I've really kept this conversion simple - by only changing the arm holding a mace for the original right arm which once held a spear. I also moved his shield along to the end of the left arm - instead of hanging at the shoulder - as it was originally. The shields come as separate parts anyway, so are simple to position virtually anywhere. The new configuration now suits the new figure holding his new weapon - the mace, and shows how just two very simple changes to a casting - along with a new paint-job, can make an entirely new figure. I have four more to do - and hope to show some more examples as I go along with each conversion - and increase my medieval collection along the way.

Here they are below. jb

My next converted figure is shown in the forefront below - again - fighting against the original cast figure - who is armed originally with a sword. note that my new figure is now attacking with an axe. This was substituted by cutting off the original sword - and drilling into his gauntlet - and substituting the axe, which was provided by Dorset Soldiers. You may also note, that the original figure had an empty sword scabbard, as would be expected from a knight wielding a sword - so this empty scabbard was removed - and a new sword with scabbard substituted, (again, a spare from Dorset Soldiers).

Again - a very easy conversion - as only two elements were changed - the weapons in both cases. A more complicated conversion might have included a change of head to another type of helmet - or indeed, a bare headed knight. I might even do this in future - so obtaining yet another "new" figure.

At 40 pence each - these spares won't break the bank!:eek: - and another "new" figure is born, for my collection.:D

My new knight, by the way, is Sir Lawrence Mountfort, fighting again, against a French knight. jb

Last edited:
A couple more Knights of Agincourt conversions to show you here. The top pic below shows my two new figures to the right of centre - whilst my original pair (armed as the original figures were) are to the left.

The first of my new figures - bearing the yellow shield topped with red - is Lord Thomas Camoys, who commanded the left flank of the British Army at Agincourt. He is the same figure as Sir John de Loyne in the chequered outfit with mace above his head ( as the maker intended). My simple conversion just substitutes a drawn sword for the mace. As the scabbarded sword is "behind" the cast in shield, there is no need for any further modification. Just cut off the mace at the hand - drill a small hole to accept the sword - and pin and glue it in. As easy as that - a new figure is made for my cabinet. ( note: keep the mace in the spares box - it may come in handy again!!:D).

The next figure is one of the more interesting pieces from the original maker, Roy Selwyn Smith. The original figure is meant to be a dismounted Knight - fighting on foot with a Lance. He wears his spurs, as a knight would - but carries no sword. his simple shift also has an untidy edge - suggesting that it is an unfinished garment. Possibly a knight fighting in the melee of a tourney - and not wishing to be encumbered by a scabbarded sword ( which might trip him), has dispensed with it?

I decided to make my new figure into a French Man-at-Arms - lunging with a pole-axe instead. I used a picture of an example made originally by Richard Courtney as a guide - where the fighting French foot soldier was wielding a glave ( a spear-like weapon) - at the battle of Poitiers - and was thus wearing the livery of King Jean. ( A Golden Crown above a Gold Star (known in heraldry as a Mullet). As I already had the Pole-Axe in my spares box ( sorry, but I've forgotten which company originally provided it now) - I armed my figure with it instead. I required a differently shaped right arm for this, to hold the bottom of the staff (Dorset Soldiers spare). Note that as my figure is NOT a Knight, but a foot soldier, I have removed the spurs from my figure. As he is a soldier in battle, however, I gave him a sword in a simple leather scabbard ( drilled and pinned to his belt - another spare from Dorset). I also moved his shield slightly forward - to suit his pose and new weapon. So - a slightly more complex conversion - but again an easy one to do).

Again though - all four conversions, so far, have been kept quite simple - and many more COULD be undertaken by changing heads and/or using different medieval weapons/arms etcetera. The paint job changes the identity of each figure - and the weapons provide variation. jb

I have completed the last of my five foot knights - who is shown in the foreground of both pics below - dueling with an earlier version that I did of the same figure - which has the original axe as a weapon. My new figure, Sir Lawrence Mountfort, has an equally nasty looking mace substituted for the axe held by Sir John Stamford.

Another easy conversion, which just entailed removing his original cast-in axe by surgery - drilling into the hand/gauntlet and cementing in the spare mace ( A Dorset spare part again). The rest of the changes are paintwork. In the background - I can now show all of my foot figures - with the original figures right at the rear - and the newer converted figures slightly to the fore.

So...........in place of my original five foot knights - I now have ten - none of which is exactly alike - and my newest five could possibly be unique. A rather satisfying development for me. jb

Excellent paintwork JB! {bravo}}

Jeff :salute::

Hi Jeff. Thanks - glad you like 'em. Great fun to do.

I thought I would pass on a tip - to all others who like painting Knights. I'm always looking for decent colour illustrations of "Coats of Arms" - usually found on shields etcetera - and just recently found an absolutely fabulous web-site, so thought I'd pass it on.

www.aspilogia.com

This will lead you to a site titled "The Roll of Arms" - which is really 5 Rolls of arms - and gives listings and colour illustrations of over 2,000 shields of Named Knights - along with approximate dates for them, which is always a tricky part to research.

So.........you get a Name, a colour pic of the shield and a date - which then will allow you to follow up with a web search using something like Google to find out more. Just a wonderful resource - that is constantly being updated - and just the job to eventually find Colour pics of Knights that you may wish to reproduce.

I have four more Mounted Knights in the pipeline - so watch out for more to come later on. jb

Nice work JB! I do believe I am witnessing an upward trajectory in your painting skills! Looks like its time to add another fortified shelf to the man cave wall!
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back