Favorite quotes (2 Viewers)

Currahee Chris

Sergeant Major
What are some of your favorites?? Can be historical or military etc.

"Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of War"- Gaius Julius Caesar

What are some of your favorites?? Can be historical or military etc.

"Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of War"- Gaius Julius Caesar

Nice, but it was Shakespeare who said it first I believe. Still, not a bad line.

Nice, but it was Shakespeare who said it first I believe. Still, not a bad line.

You're sort of both right. It was by Shakespeare and from the play Julius Caesar but spoken by Marc Antony.

One of my favorites is from the movie The Best Man (that starred Henry Fonda): He has all the qualities of a dog except loyalty.

Its a recession when your neigbour loses his job. Its a depression when you lose yours.

Don't know who said it but, its rather apt in the modern circumstances. I am in neither camp
Mitch

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...(splat!!)"

Major General John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania Court House, May 1864

Its a recession when your neigbour loses his job. Its a depression when you lose yours.

Don't know who said it but, its rather apt in the modern circumstances. I am in neither camp
Mitch

It was said by Harry S Truman, one of our greatest Presidents.

"Indians!..what Indians??".......General George Armstrong Custer......:rolleyes:;):D

Jeff

Suffragette: "If you were my husband, Mr. Churchill, I would poison your tea."

Young Minister Winston Churchill: "And if you were my wife, madam, I would drink it."

That was reported to be Lady Astor also a source of the other "somber in the morning" Churchill quote.

"When men cease to believe in God, they don't believe in nothing, they believe in anything"--Attributed to G K Chesterton, but I've read that there is no specific citation to support this.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.' "--President Ronald Reagan made this popular, though it was in currency in one form or another in the 70s.

"It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one"--George Washington

Last edited:
I collect great quotes - a stimulating habit that costs nothing! Here's a few you might like:

Some men cannot be bought, intimidated or reasoned-with;
Some men just want to watch the world burn. (Dark Knight, Batman)

Success is rarely achieved unless you’re having fun at it. – fortune cookie

Only the educated are free – fortune cookie

In America, there is no idea that is too dumb to be taken seriously. (Mike Adams )

"Life isn't about finding yourself - it's about creating yourself." (George Bernard Shaw)

"Every attainment, every step forward in knowledge, follows from courage, from hardness against oneself, from cleanliness in relation to oneself." (Nietzsche)

Villainy has many masks, but none dangerous as the mask of virtue. Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow (Movie) Washington Irving.

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding." Henry Ducard

Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves. ~Author Unknown

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. ~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves. ~D.H. Lawrence, Classical American Literature, 1922

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul. --George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Never trust a government that doesn’t trust its own citizens with guns --Thomas Jefferson

Kites rise highest against the wind -- not with it. --Winston Churchill

Cats seem to go on the principle that is never does any harm to ask for what you want. - Joseph Wood Krutch

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A. Heinlein

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be “meetings.” - Dave Barry Quotes

The most valuable function performed by the federal government is entertainment. - Dave Barry Quotes

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant’s life, she will choose to save the infant’s life without even considering if there are men on base. - Dave Barry Quotes

Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves. - Dorothy Parker

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.
- Albert Einstein

The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable receiving.
- Albert Einstein

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once
- Albert Einstein

Give a hungry man a fish and you have fed him for a day, but give him a case of dynamite and soon the entire village will be showered with mud and water and hard-to-identify little chunks of fish.
-unknown

And finally, to quote the wisdom of Brother Dave Gardner: Brother Dave was asked, "Where is the best place to be when the A-bomb goes off Brother Dave?" He answered, "Wherever you can say, "What was that!"

"I found it more and more difficult, with free scope given to my imagination, to invent evidence which would suffice to convince me. Thus disbelief crept over me at a very slow rate, but was at last complete. The rate was so slow that I felt no distress, and have never since doubted even for a single second that my conclusion was correct."

Charles Darwin

I have always enjoyed the quotes of Will Rogers. Here are a couple of my favorites from him:

"Ancient Rome declined becasue it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?"

"I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat."

Here is another one of my favorites but I don't know who originally said it:

"You know the difference between the two words PRO and CON. Certainly explains the difference between PROgress and CONgress"

:) Mike

Quite a few good ones already. Here are some I particularly like for various reasons:

There seems to be a terrible misunderstanding on the part of a great many people to the effect that when you cease to believe you may cease to behave.
Louis Kronenberger

When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.
Desmond Tutu

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
Albert Einstein

Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living.
Omar N. Bradley

You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.
Will Rogers

Reputation is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit, and lost without deserving.
William Shakespeare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back