Gros Napoleon at Jaffa (5 Viewers)

Okay, I'm back to this diorama with a vengeance.

Finally painted the room again. I took out the figures and started to stage them. I epoxied a few figures to fix their positions while allowing for the other figures to be adjusted around them. One of the back wall has been fixed into position.

I also repainted the background, with the Jaffa city and flag against an overcast sky.

As can be seen, the first proper staging looks pretty good, right? Not actually as I can see some fit issues that I will have to work around. For eg, the footprint of a few figures still cannot fit into their allocated positions.

A test fit with the white border frame helps in the final positioning of the figures. It also emphasizes the need for internal lighting in a shadow box diorama of this size and depth.

The final pic shows a close-up of the scene.

az.jpgaz2.jpgaz3.jpgaz4.jpgaz5.jpg

Victor,

it's looking better and better as you go ..... love the setup now with all those figures, so keep on showing us ...

John

Hi John,

As alluded to earlier, lots more work.

From the 3D setup, unseen parts are visible and these need to be refined. As there are no views from the painting, some of these are madee up. For example, the pall bearers look a little rough to me. I decided to model them wearing front opening vests.

Rgds Victor

a3.jpga9.jpg

Here are three pieces that require more work.

For eg, they look small when eyeballed and when compared to the Nap figure grouping. For the kneeling figure out in front, I raised his height by almost 1 cm! I cut off his knees and resculpted the leg muscles. Correspondingly, his native bearer's face was enlarged.

The blind figure has his height increased as well.

I worked more on this figure in the background. Upon closer examination of the painting, he appears to be a sanitation worker wearing a face mask and is carrying a roll of pink cloth (presumably with a corpse) together with the Daure figure.

a2.jpga5.jpga8.jpga10.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the diorama itself being worked upon.

I cleaned up the archway and repainted it. The figure group is already fixed to the base.

On the other side, I built up a curved section which is meant to blend in with the background. I have a section of wall this side with cutouts.

a7.jpga6.jpg

Hi Nappy,

thanks but premature, I think. I still have a lot of work to do.

Now still resculpting the kneeling figure. The assisting arab has also been enlarged accordingly. The left knee of the arab gives you an idea of the height increase that was made to this pair.

a6.jpg

Last edited:
I was just rereading this thread, reminiscing on the progress and frustration encountered. Perhaps with new insights and skills, I could come back to reviving it soon.

I was just rereading this thread, reminiscing on the progress and frustration encountered. Perhaps with new insights and skills, I could come back to reviving it soon.

Victor,

yes please, bring this one back to life ......

John

Hi John,

Probably worth reviving. I mean look at that recently revived Napoleon movie….
hahhahaha.

rgds Victor

Now that Ive done with the 21st lancers at Omdurman and Badajoz, I took out this oldie and cleaned up the dusty components. I seem to have been stumped by a few chokepoints - the bkgrd walls, the Lazarus figure group etc.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 4
I'd love to see this one completed, particularly because I'm a Napoleonic collector :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back