Gros Napoleon at Jaffa (2 Viewers)

These three figures were painted. I used dark flesh colours and red blood shot eyes. For the middle figure, I added some legs to be sculpted over. The upper back portion can be seen thru the viewing pane.

a8.jpga13.jpg

Hi Markster,

thanks for you nice comment. I am really into this project now.

Starting from the left side, I added legs to the dead soldier in the middle. Picture is taken from the top.

a11.jpg

These are three figures in the background. Two native bearers and a figure picking up pink cloth immediately behind the officer skulking away.

Notice that I've created a small size difference between the two native bearers for perspective consideration.

a8.jpg

After very careful study of the painting, more work was done to the officer skulking away. The left foot and boot was redone according to the painting. Eventually I also redid the hat and face.

a4.jpga7.jpga10.jpg

The torso and arms for the sick man held up by a native was completely redone in stages. the head and neck was also snipped off and repositioned with new hair.

a.jpga5.jpg

Finally, I brought all the redux figures in another round of grouping which seems satisfactory to me so far.

a14.jpg

Background figures

I added a brass pole between the two native pall bearers. Notice the size difference. Allowing for perspectives, I made the litter slightly shorter. I have identified a foot coming off the side of this litter.

There are two destitute soldiers in the back on the left side. I have added more bulk to the figure folding up cloth.

aa.jpgaa2.jpg

Worked a bit more on the native pall bearers. Careful examination of the painting revealed a right leg hanging off the side of the litter. I knocked up the basic shape of the litter and added wired feet on top. A lying figure will be eventually sculpted on top of the litter.

These two figures were posed behind the natives distributing bread. I probably will increase the height and size of the rear native.

aa.jpgaa2.jpg

I added some putty to the lying down figure. The height of the rear native bearer was increased by about a cm. The perspectives looks right when placed into the scene.

ax.jpg

I continue to modify the sub groups with putty details, working on specific areas.

a.jpga2.jpga3.jpga4.jpg

It's been a while since I last worked on this diorama. I am now concentrating on the staging. i've decided to change the perspective a little to create at least two vanishing points.
This differs slightly from the painting which has unconvincing perspective lines.

I attached the ceiling to create the stage. I added some wall putty to the background facade and when dry, I sandpapered the surface.

a3.jpg

Victor,

that backdrop looks lust like the painting, so looking forward to seeing this project being completed ..... but that still cold be a while???

Well done,

John

Hi John,

The background facade is slanted slightly forward towards the right whereas the painting shows the facade receding backwards towards the right.
I did this to rationalise the perspective lines and also to create some space to fit in all the figures to the left of the painting.
There is some space between all the slanting structures which have to be covered up.
See the mockup picture.

I actually have a good feeling about being able to finish this project in the near future.
Rgds Victor

aa.jpg

Looking good, the arches look right, now add the columns so it doesn't fall down :) :)

Will you paint the background buildings, or use a scaled down image from the original painting ???

Keep it coming,

John

This is one of my all-time favorite dioramas on Treefrog. Can't wait to see it as it nears completion!

Sandor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back