Hackensack Toy Soldier Show (2 Viewers)

If Thor doesn't have what you're looking for, try also Sergei Ilyashenko's Lead Army, he also carries a nice selection of connoisseur figures from Russia, and specializes in Ancient Rome. He may have what you're looking for, and he's usually at the show.

Prost!
Brad

Oh yeah, I have bought from him as well- in Gburg- he's a good guy.

AA put out a fighting aquilifier that I must get- price is salty salty salty though, suddenly must is "maybe" :(

BOY, IS THAT A LOADED QUESTION :D:D
It seems like this year, everything I have done is wrong :(

Brad is right- and good to my 4th Hussar friend for sticking with me!! :)

Didn't feel like selling out to the dark side!! :p

Seriously though, the one goal I still have in my professional life is to complete Office Candidate School (OCS)- I began back in 2000 (with the Pa Army National Guard) but had to withdraw due to severe work pressures. I need to get some things straightened out this year workwise and then I'm jumping back into the green machine- hopefully by April- I have been gone way too long and hate being a civilian. Seems like I am so far away from the guy I used to be that I don't even know who I am sometimes. :(

Anyway, I digress- I will ask for the promo when I earn it.

Anyone who has served in the Army knows that the NCOs really run the place. A Sergeant Major is a much higher calling than any 2nd Lieutenant. During Basic Training at Fort Ord, California, in 1961, they pulled me out of the barracks one night and two or three officers challenged me to go to OCS with a film and presentation, but at 19 years of age, I wasn't smart enough to go and I turned them down. In spite of what I said about 2nd Lieutenants, I have always regreted that decision.

Last edited:
Woke up this morning ready to drive south to the show, but my wife woke up ill and so I'm a no show :eek:. The aim of it all is having fun and so with her not feeling well I've decided to say home and make us tea. Along with coffee that's about all I can do in the kitchen.

So I'm hoping for photos from those of you who will be there :rolleyes:, especially from the glossy side of the court. I was especially going to be looking for Hiriart and 2nd hand Hockers. Til next time.

Russell,

Sorry your wife is ill and that you're not coming. I hoe she feels better soon. You will be missed. Is there anything that you're looking for that we can keep our eyes out?

Hi Brad,
That's very kind. Practically the answer is no, because I like to look and see whether or not something catches my eye. Still , as I said earlier, my focus would have been Soldiers of the World, for the Napoleonic era, Hiriart, probably WWI, & WWII, and some Hocker sets. Then I would have looked at castings and sometimes even plastics for diorama background pieces like trees, barrels, and barnyard animals. But the shelves are pretty full. It's mostly the pleasure of seeing other collectors, seeing all the tables, and the pleasure of the hunt.
I wish you all lots of fun. :)

Well, I survived!! :)

Thoughts on the show- enjoyed it immensely. Admission price was ok, facility was wonderful- very roomy and temperature was adequate. Lots of vendors bringing lots of great figures.

Met Lawrence Lo from the forum- if there is a nicer, kinder person on the planet, I have yet to see them- it was all my pleasure Lawrence- if we could get the people on this planet to be half as kind as you, the world would be a better place- truly a wonderful guy- even for a navy guy :D

Met Richard Conte- very very nice guy- I asked about the braveheart line- said he had some of the masters done but it would be awhile- that works just fine for me. Said the ACW and Zulus are doing far better than he would have imagined so I would expect future releases forthcoming (my assumption, not from his mouth).

Met Thor from AA- bought a Centurion from him. Things seem to be going really well for him. Saw the Caesar/Vercingetorix vingette- it's all it's cracked up to be.

Funniest moment- was talking with George and a young girl- maybe 8-9 years old comes up and inquires on a price for a scenic piece. He tells her- the girl looks at him, takes three steps back turns around and sprints away!! :D:D

Flats and vintage farm sets seem to be making a comeback- lots of really nice sets from many different people there.

Saw a few "going out of business signs"- unfortunate but overall, the hobby seems to be doing ok.

Anyway, I scored the Figarti Stryker, an AA Roman Centurion and, thanks to Mr. Lo, a KC WS27 Tiger tank. I had to unfortunately part with mine several years back due to finances but am happy to say she is back in the ranks looking to cause havoc.

Funniest moment- was talking with George and a young girl- maybe 8-9 years old comes up and inquires on a price for a scenic piece. He tells her- the girl looks at him, takes three steps back turns around and sprints away!! :D:D

Ha! - Was that due to the price or because George can look intimidating and sound rough? ;)

You know I care George. :) Wish I could have been there.

Matthew

Well.. it was a very fine show, but the sellers had pretty much the same stuff since last year...IMHO it was not nothing really to die for however I managed to find a few nice Trophys: I will post pictures in Trophy section later tonight...
Al

I found a few K & C glossy highlanders, two of which I didn't have; a glossy K & C Alamo trio of Mexicans; and the wounded soldier on a stretcher from Arnhem, the last two courtesy of Lawrence. Thanks again Lawrence :)

However, as far as I'm concerned, the big winner was my friend Harvey Hammer. When we walked in Mike Rosso of Stockade was selling the old style K & C P 40 that came with a pilot and stand. Simply beautiful and in fantastic condition. Harvey bought that. Later before, we left Harvey bought from Lawrence the following: two mounted German cavalry, the glossy British policeman and motorcycle that goes with the Battle of Britain Spitfire made in the 1990s and the groundcrew. That's what I call a good day :cool:

Well.. it was a very fine show, but the sellers had pretty much the same stuff since last year...IMHO it was not nothing really to die for however I managed to find a few nice Trophys: I will post pictures in Trophy section later tonight...
Al

Al

You know I'm looking forward to that;) :D

Cheers

Martyn:)

Ha! - Was that due to the price or because George can look intimidating and sound rough? ;)

After seeing that display, can't say I'd take George along on singles night :D:eek: Not only does he chase the women away, some strange dudes tend to flock to his tables as well........ :D:D

Well, he did tell her that she'd have to sell a lot of newspapers- my take on it- she was running out the door to get a good start before the show closed. :)

Met Lawrence Lo from the forum- if there is a nicer, kinder person on the planet, I have yet to see them- it was all my pleasure Lawrence- if we could get the people on this planet to be half as kind as you, the world would be a better place- truly a wonderful guy- :D

Couldn't agree more; God broke the mold when he made Lawrence, if he's not the nicest guy walking the planet, then I'm a guy who chases kids away from my table when I tell them the price of items.........hey, wait a minute...........................;)

I thought that kid was running over to her parents to get the dough needed to buy the item.........:p

'

Just a few unusual sets I found yesterday in Hackensack show.
1. Two Britains "souvenir" sets sold in Ireland only, the carriages are made out of wood.
2. Very scarce Soldier Centre set "Santa Arrives" just in time for X-mas :)
Al

Attachments

• brit-ir1.jpg
    brit-ir1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 256
  • brit-ir2.jpg
    brit-ir2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 254
  • santa2.jpg
    santa2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 259
Nice finds!!

re:- the Britains sets (and I am sure you are aware)only the drivers are Britain's, the wagons and animals are not.

Brad, Chris and George,

Thank you all for all the kind words - no doubt the euphoria of being amongst all those toy soldiers must have clouded all your senses:D. Always a wonderful time at the shows. It is a great opportunity to find new toys to add to one's cellection, but more importantly spending time meeting old friends and making new ones. Speaking of new friends, I met Chris and his son (Halo addict), as well as Al - Boerboy. Despite Chris' Army background, the hobby promotes goodwill towards all who share a common experience and understanding of the addiction. I was more than happy to see Chris reacquire his long lost Tiger tank - did not think it was possible to actually see an Army guy smile!!:p When it comes to Trophy addictions, Al is certainly one of the most passionate and an even greater hunter of those elusive sets - I will have to try to pry some of those Trophy boats from him! Also got to see Harvey and Brad, the dynamic duo, adding to their large collections - those planes do take alot of room! And then there are the dealers Tony, Matt, Mike, Carl and of course George. What a diverse group and a fun bunch to hang with - unless of course you have children around :p. There are others I have no doubt failed to mention as there were so many people, but suffice it to say that I had a wonderful time meeting each and every one.
All the best, Lawrence
FLY NAVY

........did not think it was possible to actually see an Army guy smile!!:p
FLY NAVY

I was smiling all right- up to the point when my wife called and I had to put the "spin" on the purchase. She was cool with it though- which leads me to believe she spent WAY WAY more than she wanted to at the American Girl Doll store. All's I know is that she had two BIG bags of American Girl Doll stuff and it took all my mastery of vehicle packing to fit all that stuff in our truck to head back home. Being the smart guy I am, I knew better than to ask how much she spent. :D:eek:That is pretty much a one way discussion. Anyway, the tiger is tucked away neatly under our bed, awaiting to be unleashed again on Christmas morning. :)

On an unrelated note, my son saw the Aeroart Samurais and was interested in them. While walking around, he said "Dad, I think if I ever got into this stuff, I could see myself collecting samurais"- perhaps another collector is emerging..............

Sorry, I only took two pictures the whole day:

His Britannic Majesty, George III:

DSCN1222.jpg

and the gentlemen from Colonel Lamb's New York Artillery Regiment:

DSCN1223.jpg

I spent an hour talking with the re-enactors, and another hour talking with Mike Ferguson and Bob Shoulberg. In fact, I spent most of my time talking to dealers, and I only bought a diorama accessory, a Roman water trough, cast in dental plaster. I wanted to get the new Osprey number on Frederick the Great's Allies, but no one had it, and Dennis Shorthouse/On Military Matters, my usual source for books, was at the wargamers' show in Lancaster. That's not to say it wasn't a good show, of course. As everyone has noted so far, there was a ton of stuff. I'd also picked up some things on eBay on Saturday, so I was a little more careful about spending.

As to the going-out-of-business signs, I know the one dealer, Alexei--he sells high-quality Russian castings--he's not going out of business for any kind of economic reasons, but he and his wife are expecting their second child, so he said it's time to come off the road. It's a side line for him, in any case. There was one loss, conspicuous by his absence, and that was Ron Ruddell of London Bridge Collector's Toys. He's retired officially now, so we won't see him at the shows any more, which is a shame.

But the show did not disappoint! My only regret is that I didn't get to meet up with the rest of you.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back