Heco Tinplate Models (5 Viewers)

This is the after effort using Krylon spray gloss paint and some patience..Message to Louis, if you have any Heco junkers around gathering dust, I would be happy to deal for them with the idea of a redo..Michael AFTER...

Looks great, Michael!^&cool^&cool

Attached is a photo of a CJB Models Morris CS8 Platoon Truck from an auction I failed to win a couple of months ago:

Attachments

• $T2eC16dHJGYE9nooji7FBRE5pYNTyg~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16dHJGYE9nooji7FBRE5pYNTyg~~60_12.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 520
A CJB Battery Staff Car (I photographed mine with the top down, but it also comes with the side windows and top to display it top up):

As you can see from this photo, when I purchased my Battery Staff Car, it came without the officer figures for the back seats. Thanks to the gentleman who sold me the 5 CJB Models, who located the officer figures, they should be on their way to join the vehicle shortly.:smile2:

The CJB Models portable generator on a trailer and the corporal with the clipboard arrived today, and, of course, I am at one of my client's offices in the City, so will have to wait until I get home to unpack it, and take and post some photos of it being towed by one of my other CJB Models vehicles.^&cool

Here are a couple of photos of the CJB Models portable generator being towed by a CJB Models Morris 30 cwt lorry:

Attachments

• CJB Generator being towed 2.JPG
    CJB Generator being towed 2.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 328
  • CJB Generator being towed.JPG
    CJB Generator being towed.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 327
Here are a couple of photos of the generator being operated with the corporal monitoring it:

Attachments

• CJB Generator Operating 2.JPG
    CJB Generator Operating 2.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 310
  • CJB Generator Operating.JPG
    CJB Generator Operating.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 298
Does anybody have an old CJB Models catalogue?^&confuse I am presently aware of at least 15 military models and at least 4 non-military models, and I would love to know what other models Mr. Burkill produced.:smile2:

This is my present list of CJB Models Products:

Military:

Morris Commercial 30cwt 6x4 M1 Fwd, Contl. Artillery Tractor/GS Truck
Morris D Type 30 cwt 6 x 4 (long nose)
Morris 30 CWT Troop Transport Truck (snub nose)
Humber Ironside armored car
Dragon MK III Artillery tractor
Burnett Ambulance
1939 Morris CS8 Platoon Truck
Beaverette Armored Car
Austin "Tilly" light utility vehicle
Morris CS8 15 cwt truck (battery office version)
Morris D Type Battery Staff Car
Morris 8hp Radio Car
Morris CDSW Artillery Tractor, 1938
Morris 10CWT Ambulance
W.V.S. mobile canteen based on a Ford 10cwt chassis
22kw army field generator set on a Tasker trailer

Civilian:

1924-1931 Morris "Tonner" Delivery Truck (Oxo and Bisto versions)
1939 Morris 8hp Tourer Convertible
1927 Morris T-Type 1 ton Flatbed Truck

I just had the great good fortune to purchase the CJB Models W.V.S. mobile canteen based on a Ford 10cwt chassis, my all time CJB Models Holy Grail item, from Colin J. Burkill, the artist behind CJB Models himself!^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

What a gentleman he is! I am thrilled to be able to inform you other CJB enthusiasts that Mr. Burkill is about as a nice a person as I have come across in the hobby, and in a hobby so full wonderful people, that is really saying something:wink2:. Once I discovered with whom I was dealing, I politely asked him to provide me with a complete list of his products, and hope to hear back from him. Whatever information I obtain I will of course post on this thread.:smile2:

At the London Show last weekend, I purchased five excellent CJB Models, as well as a Heco Tinplate Models WWII Mobile Radar. The CJB Models I purchased included the Beaverette Armored Car, Austin "Tilly" light utility vehicle, Morris CS8 15 cwt truck (battery office version), Moris D Type Battery Staff Car, and the Morris 8hp Radio Car. The other CJB collectors who cornered this gentleman cleaned him out - he also had a Dragon Mk 3 Artillery Tractor, another Morris CS8 (platoon truck version), the Austin Ambulance, and the three Morris 30 cwt military trucks.

Hello Louis,

I knew this would happen - The first London show I can't make it to in 4 years and a load of CJB vehicles come up for sale!
Not that I should complain - I have virtually all the ones I strictly 'need', (collection stands at 13 - mainly the interwar stuff in dark green) but it's just a pleasure to handle them. I'm very taken with your Beaverette, even though I don't have a Home Front collection, but you have to draw the line somewhere. The Battery Office truck is one of my favourite pieces in my collection - Though the Light Dragon remains the best of the lot, thanks to its moving white metal tracks.

I might not want to know the answer (I may turn green), but how much was being asked for each model, approximately, compared to the ebay prices? (Which vary from a modest £80 for a civilian truck to a staggering £325 or so for that recent canteen wagon). The military stuff always fetches more than the civvies.

I hope the dealer's haul didn't originate from the collection of Arthur Smith, who I haven't seen at the show for a while, and who I know from conversations with him had a large range of CJB he'd built up, dating back to the early 1990s when they were first made.
I'd be very sorry to hear it if he's passed away and his collection been sold off - Always enjoyed chatting to him on the BMSS stand.
Or perhaps it was Arthur himself, 'cashing his pension' as it were! - Every time I see a truck hit £200 on ebay I still picture him grinning!

InterWar.

Hello Louis,

I knew this would happen - The first London show I can't make it to in 4 years and a load of CJB vehicles come up for sale!
Not that I should complain - I have virtually all the ones I strictly 'need', (collection stands at 13 - mainly the interwar stuff in dark green) but it's just a pleasure to handle them. I'm very taken with your Beaverette, even though I don't have a Home Front collection, but you have to draw the line somewhere. The Battery Office truck is one of my favourite pieces in my collection - Though the Light Dragon remains the best of the lot, thanks to its moving white metal tracks.

I might not want to know the answer (I may turn green), but how much was being asked for each model, approximately, compared to the ebay prices? (Which vary from a modest £80 for a civilian truck to a staggering £325 or so for that recent canteen wagon). The military stuff always fetches more than the civvies.

I hope the dealer's haul didn't originate from the collection of Arthur Smith, who I haven't seen at the show for a while, and who I know from conversations with him had a large range of CJB he'd built up, dating back to the early 1990s when they were first made.
I'd be very sorry to hear it if he's passed away and his collection been sold off - Always enjoyed chatting to him on the BMSS stand.
Or perhaps it was Arthur himself, 'cashing his pension' as it were! - Every time I see a truck hit £200 on ebay I still picture him grinning!

InterWar.

Hello! I'm sorry I missed you at the show, it would have been nice to chat with another CJB Models enthusiast. Each model was for sale for £125. I have paid as much as £200 and as little as £80 on ebay. I have 16 CJB Models now, all in home front markings, and I just love the stuff. I have seen photos of these models in RAF and desert markings, and would collect all of them as well. The seller was not Arthur Smith, if that helps.

Regards,

Louis

A friend and I purchased and divided four CJB Models, two each:

Attachments

• 4400_l.jpg
    4400_l.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 236
My two are the two vehicles in the middle of the photo: a CDSW Artillery Tractor, 1938 and Morris 10CWT Ambulance. I now have 18 CJB Models, all in inter-war home front or civilian markings. I have seen photos of CJB Models in RAF markings and desert markings, but have never come across any for sale.

Attachments

• 4400_l.jpg
    4400_l.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 219
My two are the two vehicles in the middle of the photo: a CDSW Artillery Tractor, 1938 and Morris 10CWT Ambulance. I now have 18 CJB Models, all in inter-war home front or civilian markings. I have seen photos of CJB Models in RAF markings and desert markings, but have never come across any for sale.

Louis, you are losing focus...We want Heco on a Heco thread. So where are all the Hecos? ^&confuse Michael

Louis, you are losing focus...We want Heco on a Heco thread. So where are all the Hecos? ^&confuse Michael

Sorry Michael, in the same auction I was outbid on a lot of 4 Heco Tinplate Models . . .

Attachments

• 4399_l.jpg
    4399_l.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 240
Don't you just hate those guys that hijack threads, this is spoiling my breakfast. Btw, what is your favourite breakfast? I like bacon and eggs with fried tomato, toast and a strong coffee. When I say strong, I really mean a Flat White which is not very strong, but popular in Australia.

Very nice sets, how much did these go for?

Cheers

Artillery Crazy

I just got an e-mail from Colin Burkill. He told me the models from the Vectis auction were early production, and congratulated me for finding them.:smile2:

Hello! I'm sorry I missed you at the show, it would have been nice to chat with another CJB Models enthusiast. Each model was for sale for £125. I have paid as much as £200 and as little as £80 on ebay. I have 16 CJB Models now, all in home front markings, and I just love the stuff. I have seen photos of these models in RAF and desert markings, and would collect all of them as well. The seller was not Arthur Smith, if that helps.

Regards,

Louis

Hello Louis,
Sounds like you got a bargain then - For the time and effort Mr. B put in, I think his models were under valued when they were originally sold new. Brian at Yeomary concurred. I don't think any of them were more than about £120. It's a good job I didn't go otherwise I'd have been tempted to part with cash I didn't have, having just waved goodbye to a fair chunk for some of Tradition's former window displays. (My bank statement met it's Waterloo that month - I've over a hundred British Guards forming square to dust now, but they were very good value and Magnus was a pleasure to buy from. I hope Tradition keep going strong in their new international setup).

Were all the CJB models sold out in the early bird session? That would offer me some small comfort, as parental duties mean I rarely get there for early doors in any case. I must stop looking at the pics of your fully crewed Beaverette as I'm getting envious! The only model I could really rationalise adding to my convoy is the early version of the Forward Control D-Type lorry with the chunkier single rear tyres. Though I shouldn't complain. I have one special version already , plus two of the conventional 'long- nosed' ones. Wish this hobby wasn't so addictive.

Will have to post some photos of my convoy at some point as every CJB model is practically unique - the joy is spotting the little differences as he evolved new methods and customised them to clients wishes. Hence the different paint finishes, with at least three types of green (laurel green, drab army green and that WWI style green that Artillery Crazy has on his staff car being the most common). RAF and desert versions are very, very rare. I think you could count them on the fingers of one hand.
For me, it's the crew figures that really turn-up the charm. A fully loaded lorry is a happy lorry! Do you have the set of clerks and officers that should go with the office truck? Complete with the folding table and chairs? I'll try to post a picture of mine if you haven't. They make for a great vignette.

Keep up the good work - I suspect you are well on your way to building the definitive CJB collection - and that can only be a mark of good taste ;-)
Best wishes,
InterWar

P. S. Hope Arthur is still with us - If none knows him, tell him his pension is still holding its value!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back