Highland Square 1815 (2 Viewers)

Scarlet Pimpernel

Staff Sergeant
Before you ask me how many figures there are here...I have no idea...a lot!

As you know, it takes a lot of figures to make a decent looking square...I have been working on this one for years. Obviously the better figures are out front, including K&C and Britains (which surprisingly seem to work ok together here). There are various other manufacturers sprinkled in and a lot of fill from my own castings. What is pictured are actually both 42nd and 92nd, although the 42 are mostly hidden in the back.

Attachments

• Waterloo Diorama02 044.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 044.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 441
  • Waterloo Diorama02 045.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 045.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Waterloo Diorama02 032.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 032.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 448
  • Waterloo Diorama02 034.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 034.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 441
  • Waterloo Diorama02 035.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 035.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 448
Just a few more...that great relieved artillery crew member is a John Jenkins from his War of 1812 range.

Attachments

• Waterloo Diorama02 037.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 037.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 301
  • Waterloo Diorama02 038.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 038.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 306
  • Waterloo Diorama02 039.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 039.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Waterloo Diorama02 040.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 040.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Waterloo Diorama02 041.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 041.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 303
Pay no attention to the exposed bases on this last shot...I just thought you might like to see what an arial view looks like.

Attachments

• Waterloo Diorama02 132.jpg
    Waterloo Diorama02 132.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 308
As I said in the other thread, absolutely outstanding. Keep up the great work cobber. Your bank overdraft must be worst that mine.
Cheers Howard

The close-up of the artillerymen in the square. Nice touch.

Blimey thats a lot of kilts, I think I can almost hear the bagpipes! :D

Again another 1st rate Napoleonics diorama, love it! :)

Nicky boy...

thank you...

it was worth waiting for...

your collection is dazzling...

now back to work...

start painting if you're not going to snap some more pics...

you deserve the first place award...

4756375921_5c1450fe6b_o.jpg

Thanks all...ok, I counted them. The square is 327 figures...but I just found another box full of these bloomin figures!! I am not changing it! And I better not die anytime soon...I'll be talked about like the woman with 30 cats who hoarded newspapers for thirty years. :)

Nick,
Thanks for sharing that spectacular set up, really well done and it looks very impressive, nothing like a proper square in 54mm............would you like any road sections to go along with that diorama?

Nick,
Thanks for sharing that spectacular set up, really well done and it looks very impressive, nothing like a proper square in 54mm............would you like any road sections to go along with that diorama?

Thanks George...I'd order the road sections from you, but you are probably out of stock! ;)

Thanks George...I'd order the road sections from you, but you are probably out of stock! ;)

120 sections sold in one day; some things never cease to amaze me, thanks for wearing the sandwhich board that read "Roads for sale at the Minutemen Booth" and parading up and down the halls of the hotel, you really are a good friend...............

What an amazing collection :eek:

I was wondering about the canons being outside the square. I'm no expert on this era (or any other) and ask those that do know if there were any standing orders about formation of squares around the remaining canons or was it otherwise.

What an amazing collection :eek:

I was wondering about the canons being outside the square. I'm no expert on this era (or any other) and ask those that do know if there were any standing orders about formation of squares around the remaining canons or was it otherwise.

I think it was for mutal support, the guns would fire until the last minute and then the crews would try and seek shelter within the infantry square. Unless the cavalry spiked the guns the gun crews could then recommence firing once the cavalry had retired.

Jeff

I think it was for mutal support, the guns would fire until the last minute and then the crews would try and seek shelter within the infantry square. Unless the cavalry spiked the guns the gun crews could then recommence firing once the cavalry had retired.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I guess the guns were usually in a line making it hard to form squares around them.

Nicholas, I just found this thread this morning while drinking my tea. All I have to say is OUTSTANDING. The photographs of your square and the French lancers is just a wonderful sight for these eyes of mine. Glad you shared your fantastic collection with us.
:) Mike

Jeff

Jeff is quite right, and for whatever insane reason, the French neglected to spike guns at Waterloo when they had the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back