HM of Great Britain (2 Viewers)

Yes, I have.

And, yes, it is.

I've come late to this thread, but it's been a pleasure to scroll through - This is easily the best gallery of HM of GB's output I've seen, and I've been searching intermittently for some time now.
A very long time in fact.

I'll briefly (Ok, that might be stretching it a bit) tell the backstory to how I came by this catalogue, as it's been an interesting bit of detective work and serendipity.
I have told a little of this story in a previous thread, but as we're 2 years down the line, it's worth retelling, and I suspect it will

In around 1989-1990, when I was but a lad, we went on a family holiday to Brittany. We came back by ferry, arriving in Portsmouth at the crack of dawn and (after a restorative Full English) went into the historic dockyards where we toured HMS Warrior (love that ship) and the Mary Rose.
I was afterwards treated to some metal models - the first metal toy soldiers I was ever bought - in the form of a Tudor bronze cannon and three crew.
These were by HM of GB.
There were other figues (archers, yeoman etc) and I took with me a folded A3 colour promo leaflet showing them in their glossy glory, hoping one day to return to the shop and add them to the shelf.

When we did finally return to Portsmouth some years later, the figures were no longer sold - Though they were selling Tradition of London's 'Henry VIII's arquebusiers', as sets and castings.
In time I lost that colour leaflet, and the idea of completing my set went with it. University beckoned.

In about 2005 I picked up some more of the Tudor figures in varying states of disrepair at the London Toy Soldier Show from a seller called John Wolff.
He said he was selling them on behalf of the maker's widow, which certainly explained why they had not been in the shop when returned.
I bought what I thought I could salvage, and was glad to have chanced upon them.

Fast forward to the present - About 2 years ago I was buying some Rose Miniatures castings off John Eden Studios, and discovered he had also had unpainted castings from HM of GB's 'Tudor World' range that was sold at the Mary Rose museum. It turned out John had bought HM of GB from Peter Kingsland's children, who had been trying to make a going concern of the firm, after it ran into difficulties.
(I believe the company was bailed out by its backers three times before they called it a day - Creativity and profitability don't always make good bed fellows).

John Eden has put very few of the figures into production, as the moulds were in poor nick and no masters were kept.
A portion of the moulds (mainly Egyptian/Sudanese campaigns) were sold at some point to Fleurbaix, during the late Father Greg's grand hoovering-up of British ranges.
I don't think we need dwell on their fate - This forum has seen enough exchanges on the subject.

With the prospect of completing my Tudor set after a twenty year gap, I began searching for information on the paint schemes to finish the castings from John Eden. Then I remembered the colour leaflet.

I won't go into all the details, but my inquires via letters, cheque stubs, phone calls, emails and this very forum brought me into contact with John Wolff (from the show), Brian Holmes (a Yorkshire trader in HM of GB farm ranges) and Martin Tabony (master sculptor).
And through Martin, I was able to get in touch with Peter's widow. (Thanks again for that Martin!)
And discovered she was down-sizing and had disposed of the majority of the figures she still had, and lots of Peter's copious, bulky notes.
Just 3 months earlier...
Cue tearing out of hair etc

However, what she did have was a digital copy of the HM of GB's list price list/catalogue from 1996, and a spare copy of that full colour leaflet with the Tudor rnange on the back page (The only illustrated one they ever did - They were looking at producing a complete colour catalogue when they ceased trading).
She sent these, and some interesting press cuttings about Peter and the company from various Sheffield papers, along with a disc of photographs of all the loose figures she'd sold to Brian Holmes (all now long since sold on).
This included Peter's own sets of the Mountain Gun Team series, which lived on his desk on a pile of wooden building blocks formed into a Khyber-esque landscape, a grainy photo of which was included (taken from an article in the September 1993 issue of Model & Collectors Mart. (Anyone have one of these in a box somewhere?)

I don't have copious free-time at present (Small children - Need I say more?) but had entertained the idea of collecting images of HM of GB sets seen online and slowly populating the catalogue to build a complete picture of their production. Brain Holmes visited the factory in Sheffield on many occasions, (he had some amusing anecdotes about the set-up) and told me that the catalogue should not be taken as definitive, as several of the sets were announced, but didn't get into production before it folded.

The catalogue runs to 51 pages (unillustrated), so I'm not about to try and post it all on the forum, but in the interests of perpetuating the memory of Peter Kingsland's imaginative output, I'd would be happy to email it to anyone with an interest in joining me in this little quest.
I sense from the posts, that the majority of HM of GB's products headed across the Atlantic, and it is in America that many sets will be found to photograph.

So, the game is afoot!

P.S. Martin - Any news on reviving your excellent Reveille range? You did hint at it 2 years back.

There,s some names there I haven't spoken to for such a long time, where did twenty years go? I was fresh out of the army and making cake decorations when I met Peter at Euro Militaire in Folkstone. I couldn't see myself making snowmen and santas for much longer but I was only making military figures for myself.

One thing that might interest you is that on one of the occasions that HM of GB went bust they owed me quite a bit of money! To look on the bright side though, that pushed me into making my own range of figures. That then leads me to answer your question about my Reveillie range.

I realy enjoy making true 1/32nd scale ceremonial figures. I've sorted through all of the moulds etc. and was surprised at how many figures there were that didn't get released (HLI, Black Watch, Gordons as well as British line and Indian regiments) Most of these are all ready to go. If you (or anyone else) whats them just send me a PM.

Martin

I really have no idea how many shops carried HM of Great Britain here in the states. The only one I am aware of was Toy Troops located in Huntington Beach, California almost 20 years ago. I still have seven sets that I bought from Toy Troops, but I sold my Charge of the Scots Grey and Gordon Highlanders to famous Britains collector Ed Ruby. It came in a special four or five tier red box with drawers and metal corners. I also traded my Saving the Guns at Maiwand sets for Trophy of Wales Zulu and Sudan Wars sets.

One thing that might interest you is that on one of the occasions that HM of GB went bust they owed me quite a bit of money! To look on the bright side though, that pushed me into making my own range of figures. That then leads me to answer your question about my Reveillie range.

I realy enjoy making true 1/32nd scale ceremonial figures. I've sorted through all of the moulds etc. and was surprised at how many figures there were that didn't get released (HLI, Black Watch, Gordons as well as British line and Indian regiments) Most of these are all ready to go. If you (or anyone else) whats them just send me a PM.

Martin

Hello Martin,

I suspect you weren't the only one left out of pocket by HM of GB's demise! - The way the catalogue is written reflects your comments about Peter being more absorbed with the research and development than the realities of the business. I think he went on to do some work as a consultant to Britains on their farm range. I wonder how many of each of the set he described in such glowing terms were actually made?

I understand that several people had a go at making masters - They employed art students from the Sheffield universities (probably Hallam where Peter's wife worked) as painters/modellers, so the style isn't consistent throughout the range. Would be interesting to see you go through the lists and mark which ones you made.
Did you retain control of some of the figures? I seem to remember a vignette of a returning soldier holding his baby aloft watch by son and wife, which Norman Joplin's book credits to you, but which also appears in HM of GB's catalogue.

Reveille - I only remember your well-received West Indian band from photos, but have seen various marching men in the random trays of figures Peter Harris has on his stand at the London show. I've learnt to spot your signature style! Do you have a list/some photos?

I saw a catalogue for a company called William King at one fair, which seemed to focus on French Napoleonic troops, all sculpted by yourself.
I'd never heard of them before - Was it a very short lived venture?

The figures of yours I'd most like to get hold of are your 1820s/1830s Regency-style figures, that were once offered to members of the BMSS - They've changed the site now, so they don't appear online any more, but I think they were based on the paintings in the Royal Collection by Alexandre-Jean Dubois Drahonet. I'm assuming they are yours - Possibly produced to coincide with the exhibition of Drahonet's works at the National Army Museum in about 1990?
Can you still produce these? The BMSS range has given up the ghost.

I really have no idea how many shops carried HM of Great Britain here in the states. The only one I am aware of was Toy Troops located in Huntington Beach, California almost 20 years ago. I still have seven sets that I bought from Toy Troops, but I sold my Charge of the Scots Grey and Gordon Highlanders to famous Britains collector Ed Ruby. It came in a special four or five tier red box with drawers and metal corners. I also traded my Saving the Guns at Maiwand sets for Trophy of Wales Zulu and Sudan Wars sets.

Hello Mike,
I think I'd have swapped the other way! - I started out with a few Trophy Zulu War sets went I first started collecting in my teens - Tastes change, but I was still impressed by Len Taylor's (?) quality control when I got them out of the box recently.
I have six of the 24th foot in full equipment standing and kneeling firing, the Gatling gun with army crew, about 4-5 of the fighting pairs (including what I think are supposed to be Melville and Coghill defending the colours), and the Naval 4.7inch from the Boer war series - The early one with square bases.
Unsure whether to keep them (for sentimental reasons) or sell and 'reinvest'.

Saw the pictures earlier of the HM of GB Scots Greys sets in Ed Ruby's home/museum - Lady Butler would have been pleased!
I have their Tudor range, minus one archer, as a mix of castings and painted figures, but the only other HM of GB set I have is the RHA in full dress from the Field Day range. It's missing the traces and reins, and needs a few little repairs, but at £100 I wasn't complaining! Nearly bought two boxes of the Rifle Corps at the same show, but someone had bought the better of them by the time I got back, so I passed. The second set was still available at the last London show.
The chances of me finding (and affording) the corresponding RHA officer and outriders are somewhat slim. Confused as to why there are two men riding on the limber when there are outriders - I though these arrangements were mutually exclusive, the latter replacing the former? But then, there shouldn't there also have been men seated on the gun's axles trees(?)
I'm going by the old Britains sets from the 1900s, which may not be the most reliable source!
HM of GB also offered additional teams with the wheel wagon and ammunition caisson, but that would take up too much room/money/sanity trying to track them down.

What would be useful is if anyone has an artillery set with all the fittings that they could set-up and photograph, so I can see what mine is missing and improvise some substitutes.
Any ebay sellers out there willing to get their lots out of the boxes for an inspection....?

Hello Martin,

I suspect you weren't the only one left out of pocket by HM of GB's demise! - The way the catalogue is written reflects your comments about Peter being more absorbed with the research and development than the realities of the business. I think he went on to do some work as a consultant to Britains on their farm range. I wonder how many of each of the set he described in such glowing terms were actually made?

I understand that several people had a go at making masters - They employed art students from the Sheffield universities (probably Hallam where Peter's wife worked) as painters/modellers, so the style isn't consistent throughout the range. Would be interesting to see you go through the lists and mark which ones you made.
Did you retain control of some of the figures? I seem to remember a vignette of a returning soldier holding his baby aloft watch by son and wife, which Norman Joplin's book credits to you, but which also appears in HM of GB's catalogue.

Reveille - I only remember your well-received West Indian band from photos, but have seen various marching men in the random trays of figures Peter Harris has on his stand at the London show. I've learnt to spot your signature style! Do you have a list/some photos?

I saw a catalogue for a company called William King at one fair, which seemed to focus on French Napoleonic troops, all sculpted by yourself.
I'd never heard of them before - Was it a very short lived venture?

The figures of yours I'd most like to get hold of are your 1820s/1830s Regency-style figures, that were once offered to members of the BMSS - They've changed the site now, so they don't appear online any more, but I think they were based on the paintings in the Royal Collection by Alexandre-Jean Dubois Drahonet. I'm assuming they are yours - Possibly produced to coincide with the exhibition of Drahonet's works at the National Army Museum in about 1990?
Can you still produce these? The BMSS range has given up the ghost.

"The Home Coming" (soldier and baby wshould have never been in the H.M. catalogue! I have a list for the Reveille range (that needs updated) but I 'll need to take some better photos, I was thinking of starting a thread on here.

The "William King" figures were a short lived. Ashdown Publishing asked me to allow them to market my figures under the name (not that all of the figures say "copyright Martin Tabony") All of those figures are available to anyone who wants them. PM me with your requests^&grin

The regency figures were made by the request of the National Army Museum as you'd guesed. They also had me make a six figure set to commemorate D-Day and some single figures including one for Arhnem. They are all still my figures but I'm not sure how fit some of the moulds are!

Martin

"The Home Coming" (soldier and baby wshould have never been in the H.M. catalogue! I have a list for the Reveille range (that needs updated) but I 'll need to take some better photos, I was thinking of starting a thread on here.

The "William King" figures were a short lived. Ashdown Publishing asked me to allow them to market my figures under the name (not that all of the figures say "copyright Martin Tabony") All of those figures are available to anyone who wants them. PM me with your requests^&grin

The regency figures were made by the request of the National Army Museum as you'd guesed. They also had me make a six figure set to commemorate D-Day and some single figures including one for Arhnem. They are all still my figures but I'm not sure how fit some of the moulds are!

Martin

Excellent idea for a thread from you on the Reveille Range Martin - and any others of yours that you made - like the now defunct BMSS range of your figures and also the W King ones. Put on as many as you can - and maybe invite others to put theirs on too. I could contribute the four that I bough as castings and painted myself). jb

Excellent idea for a thread from you on the Reveille Range Martin - and any others of yours that you made - like the now defunct BMSS range of your figures and also the W King ones. Put on as many as you can - and maybe invite others to put theirs on too. I could contribute the four that I bough as castings and painted myself). jb

I'll second that :salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

I'll second that :salute::

And I'll third it - Looks like you're in demand Mr. Tabony.
I stumbled across an old Treefrog thread where you'd posted some shots of your figures (including 'The Home Coming') painted by John Firth in a joint venture.
Is that venture current, or in suspended animation at the moment, to borrow the MOD phrase?
I am serious about castings of those Regency figures, so please do give the moulds a spin/drop cast, and see if they are still serviceable. I don't mind cleaning off a bit of flash - I picked up the colour illustrated catalogue of the NAM's Drahonet exhibition for a princely £1 at the soldier show last week, and it's rekindled my interest in the period.

And I'll third it - Looks like you're in demand Mr. Tabony.
I stumbled across an old Treefrog thread where you'd posted some shots of your figures (including 'The Home Coming') painted by John Firth in a joint venture.
Is that venture current, or in suspended animation at the moment, to borrow the MOD phrase?
I am serious about castings of those Regency figures, so please do give the moulds a spin/drop cast, and see if they are still serviceable. I don't mind cleaning off a bit of flash - I picked up the colour illustrated catalogue of the NAM's Drahonet exhibition for a princely £1 at the soldier show last week, and it's rekindled my interest in the period.

I might look at making other regiments from the series but I just don't think the ones I made for the NAM are up to it, sorry.

The link between John and myself is still on, but is heading in a different(although interesting) direction. I don't want to say too much yet.

Martin

I might look at making other regiments from the series but I just don't think the ones I made for the NAM are up to it, sorry.

The link between John and myself is still on, but is heading in a different(although interesting) direction. I don't want to say too much yet.

Martin

Martin,

If you and John Firth have a project going on, I definitely want in on the figures when they become available . . . :wink2:

Martin

That's a real shame - I would have liked to have had a chance to try my hand at painting those William IV uniforms.
The ones of the old BMSS site were done model-style in oils, but I've seen someone on this forum with them in a fine gloss finish. I just like the cut and detailing of the dandy period - Bell-topped shakos, bearskin crests, neo-classical helmets - They could be opera costumes.

Really wouldn't mind if they needed alotof filing/milliputting to make good any degradation of the mould.
Do you not have masters for re-moulding?

Look forward to seeing/hearing of you're new enterprise with John Firth and to a thread on Reveille if you chose to start one.

Going back to the original HM of GB subject of the thread - Just to restate, I'm happy to email a copy of the final 1996 catalogue to anyone who would find it useful. Just send me a PM.

That's a real shame - I would have liked to have had a chance to try my hand at painting those William IV uniforms.
The ones of the old BMSS site were done model-style in oils, but I've seen someone on this forum with them in a fine gloss finish. I just like the cut and detailing of the dandy period - Bell-topped shakos, bearskin crests, neo-classical helmets - They could be opera costumes.

Really wouldn't mind if they needed alotof filing/milliputting to make good any degradation of the mould.
Do you not have masters for re-moulding?

Look forward to seeing/hearing of you're new enterprise with John Firth and to a thread on Reveille if you chose to start one.

Going back to the original HM of GB subject of the thread - Just to restate, I'm happy to email a copy of the final 1996 catalogue to anyone who would find it useful. Just send me a PM.

The production mould was burned out and chucked years ago, and I can only find half of the master mould! I'm not even sure what I did with the master figures!:rolleyes:

Martin

Just saw this unusual HM of Great Britain set on eBay today. It is a Royal British Legion 70th Anniversary set, 1921 - 1991.

Attachments

• HM of GB Royal Br Legion Anniversary set.jpg
    HM of GB Royal Br Legion Anniversary set.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 107
  • HM of GB.jpg
    HM of GB.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 110
I think the flags are a bit mixed up though. The figure in the brown suit represents 1921 and should have the British Legion flag without the crown (before they were "royal")
The taller of the two other figures should have the Union Flag as he was based on the "National Standard Bearer" at that time.
I've got the British Legion's magazine with an article about the figures somewhere!

Martin

These Naval Officers from HM of Great Britain appeared on eBay today.

Attachments

• HM of GB Naval Officers.jpg
    HM of GB Naval Officers.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back