Household Cavalry (Royal Horse Guards) (3 Viewers)

I see from the site mentioned earlier that "Basil" (pet name - I assume) was a Blue Roan in colour - so I may have painted mine up incorrectly. I did have a peek at your earlier posting.

I must admit, that Drum Horses are a bit of a favourite of mine - and have six in my little hoard - so far, which I will be expanding in the future. They do seem to have a personality, all of their own. johnnybach

Reapint Jb :D:D

Yes Drumhorses certainly are nice, would make a great collection just those alone.

Reapint Jb :D:D

Yes Drumhorses certainly are nice, would make a great collection just those alone.

Yo Trooper, only if the collection has the creme de la creme in it^&cool. The Queens Own Hussars.
Bernard.

Attachments

• 5422.jpg
    5422.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 75
Basil was a good little jumper believe it or not. He was in training when we took him to summer camp. In my opinion Clydesdales are the best of the heavy horses. They're not just tractors with legs! They enjoy jumping and a sedate gallop.

I'll have to put some picture of my drum horses up here, when John has finished with them.

Martin

That's some toy soldier Bernard - care to expand on who/what/where? johnnybach

That's some toy soldier Bernard - care to expand on who/what/where? johnnybach

Yo Trooper, its by the Master Chas Stadden its 90mm, and of course my old Regiment:smile2:, not exactly Toy soldiers more like high class models, but then Chas was the man, you can see them all in my albums.
Bernard.

Yo Trooper, its by the Master Chas Stadden its 90mm, and of course my old Regiment:smile2:, not exactly Toy soldiers more like high class models, but then Chas was the man, you can see them all in my albums.
Bernard.

Did he ever get round to the HCR drum horses or just the standard and trumpeter?

Martin

Yo Bernard - seeing as it was you - I had a sneaky feeling it was a Stadden. Also, because of the quality of the painting, I had yet another sneaky feeling it was bigger than 54mm.

I only have one 90mm piece by Stadden - but it too is high quality - though not painted. I like them very much indeed - so will be having a peek at your albums - thanks very much - johnnybach:salute::

At the risk of being repetitious - here are my two Household Cavalry Kettledrummers around the mid 1980's. These are from castings by Asset - in 54mm - and painted by me when I was scratching about for ANY illustrations - so most of the horse colouring was "finger in the air". If I can get hold of a good colour pic of "Basil" - I might consider re-painting him - though I must admit, that I was reasonably pleased with the outcome of the pair at the time - a few years ago now.

I'm guessing that they cost considerably less than Bernard's figure, plus I had all the fun of painting them - for free! johnnybach^&grin

PIC20.jpg

Yo Johnny, nice job Trooper, must be nice to paint your own stuff, I can just manage a wall with a distemper brush lol. It looks like a nice Drum Horse similar to the Stadden style.

Whats this you have a Stadden model, would like to see a photo, I have a ton of superb 54mm I can swap you for it plus have a 54mm Drum horse somewhere in the box, so email me a photo of the Stadden model Trooper%^V. email: pokerrack@hotmail.com
Bernard.

Yo Bernardo! - I feel sure that you will already have this one, which is one of the most well known of the maestro's figures. I don't really want to swap him though - as he's my one and only. (but thanks for the offer). You may note that I resisted the temptation to remove him from the pewter base and paint him - as this was how Chas intended this type of figurine to be - and I like him this way, anyway.

I got him from my "geezer" on a market stall - somewhere in the South of England.(not saying exactly where - in case he ever gets another!). I had a haggle and bought him for the princely sum of £8 - a good price, I thought - as he is complete with musket and sword/bayonet (these were bent, of course, so I used this as a negotiating ploy). Easily bent back - when the figure was warmed through - by putting him on a radiator for a while - and cranking up the heat. If I ever come across a kit version, I might paint one up. So there he is, a 1st Foot Guard - Grenadier - marked as Grenadier guards - but of course he pre-dates this name really by a good few years. I guess these were often presented to guys retiring from that regiment. johnnybach:salute::

PIC_1050.jpg

The Guards Depot P.R.I. shop was full of them. I think every recruit must have taken home either a Stadden figure or a regimental plaque on their first leave. (I took the plaque)

Martin

I'm not at all surprised by the popularity of this figure. I was immediately drawn to it when I saw it on the stall - and to be honest, I would have paid the asking price for him (of £15 - "but to you sunshine, - twelve") But the "geezer" (as I call him), is such a character, I couldn't resist a haggle with him - just for fun. He has a West Country "oo-ar" accent, but the mannerisms and a put on accent of the "Arthur Daley" character in Minder. He just makes me laugh - so I really screwed him down on the price - using my version of the character too.

You know, something like "Gordon-Bennet mate, you gotta be 'avin a larf asking twelve smackers - the most he's worth is five wuncers - just look at the bent up gun on his back - and the sword's knackered too - four quid would be more like it!"

I think we both really enjoyed that 10 minute animated "negotiation" - and I came away with him as a result - very satisfied indeed.%^V

I thinks I might be a bit stoopid!!! I have had this pic for a while now and have only justed noticed that it could well be my 1953 drumhorse Pompey.

DOH !!

Attachments

• B38M-RHG_BAND_OF.jpeg
    B38M-RHG_BAND_OF.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 325
I thinks I might be a bit stoopid!!! I have had this pic for a while now and have only justed noticed that it could well be my 1953 drumhorse Pompey.

DOH !!

Could well be. Interseting that the band is in state dress but the drums are covered. Artistic licence?

Martin

Could well be. Interseting that the band is in state dress but the drums are covered. Artistic licence?

Martin

I think with this and the photos I have will provide the markings needed for the horse. I think at this point it is definitely the best I will find.

as for the drums..............silver paint shortage ^&confuse ^&grin^&grin

Hi Scott - seen your postcard pic - I think that you will find that your drum-Horse and drums will look like mine in post #110. So you will see top half of drum - and banner "slipped" below. Funny thing is - my Life-Guard horse - looks very like your postcard. Deja Vu??? jb

Hi Scott - seen your postcard pic - I think that you will find that your drum-Horse and drums will look like mine in post #110. So you will see top half of drum - and banner "slipped" below. Funny thing is - my Life-Guard horse - looks very like your postcard. Deja Vu??? jb

"Drapped", nothing is allowed to slip^&grin:salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back