Houston Texas College Shooting (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanzerAce1944

Colonel
This new tragic event just became news within the last hour. Luckily the 3 people shot were not killed, but wounded. 1 fatality suffered a heart attack. How much more of this can we take ?????

There are a lot of people out there who are not well balanced but can somehow gain access to a gun.

I don't believe this thread will be up too long.

What is the answer? Is there an answer?

For what it's worth........it all comes down to a change in attitude, a willingness to accept there is a problem and the courage to take the necessary steps to make those changes.......sadly this doesn't appear to be happening, although it seems some are trying.....

I understand the right for US citizens to 'bare arms', but as an outsider and a person that works in law enforcement in my country, I can't for the life of me understand why 'joe-average' would want to own an assault rifle or similar such weapon unless your proffesion requires it.

I'm not having a crack at Americans, I've visited your country and have relatives living there.......it's a wonderful place, with some of the nicest poeple I have ever met........but this obsession with firearms is really hard to fathom and whats more it's very sad to see so much pain and suffering being caused by them.

I can only hope you work something constructive out, that will somehow slowly reslove this issue once and for all??

Kind Regards.

For what it's worth........it all comes down to a change in attitude, a willingness to accept there is a problem and the courage to take the necessary steps to make those changes.......sadly this doesn't appear to be happening, although it seems some are trying.....

I understand the right for US citizens to 'bare arms', but as an outsider and a person that works in law enforcement in my country, I can't for the life of me understand why 'joe-average' would want to own an assault rifle or similar such weapon unless your proffesion requires it.

I'm not having a crack at Americans, I've visited your country and have relatives living there.......it's a wonderful place, with some of the nicest poeple I have ever met........but this obsession with firearms is really hard to fathom and whats more it's very sad to see so much pain and suffering being caused by them.

I can only hope you work something constructive out, that will somehow slowly reslove this issue once and for all??

Kind Regards.
Ditto on that Toddy.
Wayne.

The media is now obsessed with anything relative to a shooting and a school. I mean any school. We had a shooting in St Louis the other day, made national news, why. It was a school. No not a grade school, high school or college. But one of those For Profit privately owned business type schools. The ones that look to just take your money.
Neither the shooter, he shot himself, or the victim died. It was over the shooter not getting his government grant. In my mind that would warrant a small paragraph on the 4th page of the newspaper. In other words it,s a non story, but because shooting and school are in the same sentence, national news!
Oh and the gun used in this was stolen, taken in a buglary.
Some things JUST HAPPEN!
Gary

Kind Regards.

I agree with what you say about assault rifles or similar weapons Toddy although i can in some way see why there would be resistance in having them banned. The pro gun lobby might be fearful that if the Govt was successful in banning these weapons, they might not stop there and ban pump action shot guns and semi-automatic handguns, both of which are legitimately used in competition sports and for home defence which sadly, are needed with all these home invasions nowadays. Home invasions have become common in Australia and i believe more so since the ban on many firearms in Oz.

Bans on firearms happened in Oz after the Port Arthur massacre when a gunman went on a rampage and murdered innocent people with a high powered assault rifle (M16 i believe). I had no issues what so ever about these guns being banned (in the NT where i live all high powered semi-automatic rifles have always been banned unless you had a special permit for feral pig eradication and these permits were strictly enforced) but instead the Govt when overboard and banned all semi-automatic rifles including low powered .22 calibre semi-automatic rifles and pump action shot guns. I lost my pump action (which i used in the geese season) and because i was fearful of losing my handguns (i had a 9mm semi-automatic and 45 calibre semi-automatic both of which i used in competition shooting at a pistol club which i was a member), i sold both of them and resigned from the club. Sure enough some tool a year or so later after the Port Arthur massacre went on a rampage in Oz with a semi-automatic handgun and the anti gun lobby was successful in getting many semi-automatic handguns banned which would have included mine due to the magazine capacity (which i add wasn’t all that high but banned nether less).

I was a legitimate law abiding firearm user and i had to go through strict police background checks (as well as storage requirements) and a 3 month evaluation at the pistol club before i could own a handgun or get a licence. Why is it that a very small minority ruins it for the law abiding majority and these laws don't affect the criminal element which will always be able to get high powered firearms.

I do firmly believe that violent video games, some very violent movies and violence on the internet have a lot to do with these massacres. I read somewhere that the scumbag that murdered all those innocent people in the states recently was playing a violent video game before he went off his tree and went on that shooting rampage.

I agree that the laws should be tightened in the states (as they were in Oz, but not a kneejerk reaction) and firearms should not be available so free and easy as they are now.

Tom

I agree with what you say about assault rifles or similar weapons Toddy although i can in some way see why there would be resistance in having them banned. The pro gun lobby might be fearful that if the Govt was successful in banning these weapons, they might not stop there and ban pump action shot guns and semi-automatic handguns, both of which are legitimately used in competition sports and for home defence which sadly, are needed with all these home invasions nowadays. Home invasions have become common in Australia and i believe more so since the ban on many firearms in Oz.

Bans on firearms happened in Oz after the Port Arthur massacre when a gunman went on a rampage and murdered innocent people with a high powered assault rifle (M16 i believe). I had no issues what so ever about these guns being banned (in the NT where i live all high powered semi-automatic rifles have always been banned unless you had a special permit for feral pig eradication and these permits were strictly enforced) but instead the Govt when overboard and banned all semi-automatic rifles including low powered .22 calibre semi-automatic rifles and pump action shot guns. I lost my pump action (which i used in the geese season) and because i was fearful of losing my handguns (i had a 9mm semi-automatic and 45 calibre semi-automatic both of which i used in competition shooting at a pistol club which i was a member), i sold both of them and resigned from the club. Sure enough some tool a year or so later after the Port Arthur massacre went on a rampage in Oz with a semi-automatic handgun and the anti gun lobby was successful in getting many semi-automatic handguns banned which would have included mine due to the magazine capacity (which i add wasn’t all that high but banned nether less).

I was a legitimate law abiding firearm user and i had to go through strict police background checks (as well as storage requirements) and a 3 month evaluation at the pistol club before i could own a handgun or get a licence. Why is it that a very small minority ruins it for the law abiding majority and these laws don't affect the criminal element which will always be able to get high powered firearms.

I do firmly believe that violent video games, some very violent movies and violence on the internet have a lot to do with these massacres. I read somewhere that the scumbag that murdered all those innocent people in the states recently was playing a violent video game before he went off his tree and went on that shooting rampage.

I agree that the laws should be tightened in the states (as they were in Oz, but not a kneejerk reaction) and firearms should not be available so free and easy as they are now.

Tom

Yeah good thoughts Tom & Gary. The media just love this type of doom and gloom stuff, milk it for everything it's worth and then put the boot in for good measure........while holding their hands up saying we only report the news!

I hear what you're saying Tom mate and totally agree with ya.......I look at what kids are exposed to today too and what is now considered 'normal' and shake my head in despair. I think back to my own childhood in the 60's & 70's where I was brought up in what was thought to be a 'bad area'......heck it was disneyland compared to what many kids are dealing with now.

I work with a lot of kids and what concerns me the most is the remarkable way many seem detached from reality or have an inability to take responsibilty for their actions......part of this can be explained by a lack of maturity, but not all of it. I'm no prude, but I firmly believe the never ending exposure to violence at an early age has a lot to do with this.

I'm with ya totally on the kneejerk thing too, unfortunately an over reaction just creates more problems and creates anger for the resonsible majority.

Here's a story.......

A couple of years ago a friend in the US phoned me and said.......'get this for an offer, if I signed up to this 'particular' bank today and opened an account with them, they would have given me a free gun'.........i know the guy hates gun's and certainly didn't have a gun-licence......he laughed it off and we could see the funny side of this.......but it makes ya think doesn't it^&confuse

Cheers Toddy

Yeah good thoughts Tom & Gary. The media just love this type of doom and gloom stuff, milk it for everything it's worth and then put the boot in for good measure........while holding their hands up saying we only report the news!

I hear what you're saying Tom mate and totally agree with ya.......I look at what kids are exposed to today too and what is now considered 'normal' and shake my head in despair. I think back to my own childhood in the 60's & 70's where I was brought up in what was thought to be a 'bad area'......heck it was disneyland compared to what many kids are dealing with now.

I work with a lot of kids and what concerns me the most is the remarkable way many seem detached from reality or have an inability to take responsibilty for their actions......part of this can be explained by a lack of maturity, but not all of it. I'm no prude, but I firmly believe the never ending exposure to violence at an early age has a lot to do with this.

I'm with ya totally on the kneejerk thing too, unfortunately an over reaction just creates more problems and creates anger for the resonsible majority.

Here's a story.......

A couple of years ago a friend in the US phoned me and said.......'get this for an offer, if I signed up to this 'particular' bank today and opened an account with them, they would have given me a free gun'.........i know the guy hates gun's and certainly didn't have a gun-licence......he laughed it off and we could see the funny side of this.......but it makes ya think doesn't it^&confuse

Cheers Toddy

Interesting story about your friend Toddy and it makes you realise that common sense has well and truly gone out the door!

I couldn't agree more about your comments on kids nowadays. I have worked in the Prison system and i have spoken to friends who have dealt with Juveniles in the Justice system and let’s just say their attitudes are scary to say the least!

A lot of the violence we are seeing nowadays also stems from the complete breakdown of the family unit and how many of these kids are subject to physical violence at home or are not controlled and are allowed to run riot in the household. I can sympathize with many families as they are doing it tough and are either single mums or dads, but because many kids are not growing up in a loving family unit, not being disciplined in the family unit (i am not necessarily talking about physical discipline either) and are allowed to watch very violent material on TV, the internet and video games, then some of these kids are going haywire. I am sure people will say their kids play violent video games and watch violent programs on TV ect and they turn out fine. This is true but unfortunately many kids seem to get dysfunctional and develop a mental disease and for them to be exposed to violence on TV, video games, internet ect, then it only exasperate the problem.

Tom

Nuts will always commit terrible crimes whether it be with a gun, fertilizer & diesel fuel, or simply $10 worth of gas. Maybe the solution would be to bring back the death penalty for all felony crimes. Why should society pay to rehabilitate(comical) and incarcerate all of these undesirables?

Interesting story about your friend Toddy and it makes you realise that common sense has well and truly gone out the door!

I couldn't agree more about your comments on kids nowadays. I have worked in the Prison system and i have spoken to friends who have dealt with Juveniles in the Justice system and let’s just say their attitudes are scary to say the least!

A lot of the violence we are seeing nowadays also stems from the complete breakdown of the family unit and how many of these kids are subject to physical violence at home or are not controlled and are allowed to run riot in the household. I can sympathize with many families as they are doing it tough and are either single mums or dads, but because many kids are not growing up in a loving family unit, not being disciplined in the family unit (i am not necessarily talking about physical discipline either) and are allowed to watch very violent material on TV, the internet and video games, then some of these kids are going haywire. I am sure people will say their kids play violent video games and watch violent programs on TV ect and they turn out fine. This is true but unfortunately many kids seem to get dysfunctional and develop a mental disease and for them to be exposed to violence on TV, video games, internet ect, then it only exasperate the problem.

Tom

So true mate........ then simply add a dash of booze & drugs to the mix and it's all down hill from there...........

Different perspective:

I am a card carrying Gun Owner and the reason is that I grew up hunting/fishing and target shooting. My family has and always will protect the right to bear arms. These tragedies have IMO not much to do with guns, but with a whole host of other issues - mental illness being what appears to be a common denominator.

Assault weapons - can anyone define this term for me? Let me try - machine gun, uzi, ak47, m16, common theme is AUTOMATIC weapons. These are regulated heavily by the Federal Government and I don't really care for them. Have shot them at a range, but I don't feel the need to own one. First, figure between $8,000 and $15,000 for the gun, then about $500 in fees annually, ammunition quite expensive and really no use for them.

What is being miscatergorized are the AR15 type rifles - fire a 223 which is an overblown 22. Can it kill someone, yes, obviously, but so can just about any gun on the market. AR15 is a great target range weapon. Easy to handle, holds a good amount of ammo and is a pleasure to shoot.

My question/statement is very simple - Why give up my right to own/operate a weapon as a law abiding citizen? What did I do wrong? If I gave up this right, would it be for the greater good? NOT, Criminals would still easily obtain these guns, hand guns, machine guns, you name it. SO, in the end, I don't intend on giving up any of my rights anytime soon.

Gun issues make good campain fodder, but they sure as heck do not prevent crime.

Just my 2 cents

TD

Different perspective:

I am a card carrying Gun Owner and the reason is that I grew up hunting/fishing and target shooting. My family has and always will protect the right to bear arms. These tragedies have IMO not much to do with guns, but with a whole host of other issues - mental illness being what appears to be a common denominator.

Assault weapons - can anyone define this term for me? Let me try - machine gun, uzi, ak47, m16, common theme is AUTOMATIC weapons. These are regulated heavily by the Federal Government and I don't really care for them. Have shot them at a range, but I don't feel the need to own one. First, figure between $8,000 and $15,000 for the gun, then about $500 in fees annually, ammunition quite expensive and really no use for them.

What is being miscatergorized are the AR15 type rifles - fire a 223 which is an overblown 22. Can it kill someone, yes, obviously, but so can just about any gun on the market. AR15 is a great target range weapon. Easy to handle, holds a good amount of ammo and is a pleasure to shoot.

My question/statement is very simple - Why give up my right to own/operate a weapon as a law abiding citizen? What did I do wrong? If I gave up this right, would it be for the greater good? NOT, Criminals would still easily obtain these guns, hand guns, machine guns, you name it. SO, in the end, I don't intend on giving up any of my rights anytime soon.

Gun issues make good campain fodder, but they sure as heck do not prevent crime.

Just my 2 cents

TD

Tom

I do not agree but was really pleased to read an opposing opinion stated clearly, calmly and logically.

Regards

Jack

Tom

I do not agree but was really pleased to read an opposing opinion stated clearly, calmly and logically.

Regards

Jack

Thanks, to me it isn't really an emotional issue. What is really interesting is the so called Gun Crazy States have no shootings that even resemble the tragedies that have occurred now and in the past. Another factoid is that my home State didn't have 1 gun homicide last year, yet our particular Governor is saber rattling over Gun Control. Go figure.

On an add-on note, I don't have any issue with background checks, safety course, etc. What I would like to avoid is the arbitrary, judgemental, non factual decision making process.

I think this will really be a State to State issue and I think you will see a migration of gun enthusiasts away from certain STates, that won't be the only issue people move, but it could be the "lightning rod" or the "nail in the coffin" so to speak. Here in MD, they are predicting if the law becomes restrictive, this will be yet another reason wealth moves out of our State. Our STate has a seemingly never ending "initiatives of restrictions" lately.

TD

Thanks, to me it isn't really an emotional issue. What is really interesting is the so called Gun Crazy States have no shootings that even resemble the tragedies that have occurred now and in the past. Another factoid is that my home State didn't have 1 gun homicide last year, yet our particular Governor is saber rattling over Gun Control. Go figure.

On an add-on note, I don't have any issue with background checks, safety course, etc. What I would like to avoid is the arbitrary, judgemental, non factual decision making process.

I think this will really be a State to State issue and I think you will see a migration of gun enthusiasts away from certain STates, that won't be the only issue people move, but it could be the "lightning rod" or the "nail in the coffin" so to speak. Here in MD, they are predicting if the law becomes restrictive, this will be yet another reason wealth moves out of our State. Our STate has a seemingly never ending "initiatives of restrictions" lately.

TD

Some states that may not make the headlines for mass shootings still have the drip drip drip of hand gun murders, assaults, and accidents related to careless people having firearms that should not have fire arms.

My plant (Dutch owned) is moving to Mississippi (and Mexico) by the summer. Maybe workers who collect firearms will go there but receive lower wages and benefits and told to be grateful or that they are free.

Some states that may not make the headlines for mass shootings still have the drip drip drip of hand gun murders, assaults, and accidents related to careless people having firearms that should not have fire arms.

My plant (Dutch owned) is moving to Mississippi (and Mexico) by the summer. Maybe workers who collect firearms will go there but receive lower wages and benefits and told to be grateful or that they are free.

Scott,

Regarding your second comment, I move Companies for a living, economic development. There are a lot of reasons Companies move and most of them have to do with cost. It is unfortunate, but there are a lot of factors that do not allow Companies to operate effectively in parts of the US or even in the whole US and they look offshore. Funny thing, in the end it is the ultimate consumer that is the large factor as they will only support a retail market to a price. Well, that all trickles back and in order to maintain that price point, the actual labor is shipped to a place that makes it affordable.

Not sure what your free quote means. I have moved many a Company to Mississippi and the ones I worked with, their base wages were not signfiicantly less than previous and there was not an issue to fill the jobs, skilled or unskilled. Speaking of MS success stories - Several foreign car companies now call that State home and are doing quite well. One in particular returned a large portion of their incentives to the local schools they were so happy with the location. I am not sure your comments regarding your own Company have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Back to the original point of the thread - I am a law abiding citizen who does not wish to sacrifice my rights for no reason. Specific to my State, I again refer to the 1 homicide by gun in the State and it was a shotgun, not a hand gun, not an automatic weapon, not a rifle.

TD

Interesting Thread this, even if it has little to do with TS.......hope it continues for a wee while yet......??

TD
I quite agree with your thoughts. It is most unfortunate that tragic events are used for personal agendas that often have little relationship to the cause of the tragedy. Politics evolves but it does not really change.

Scott,

Regarding your second comment, I move Companies for a living, economic development. There are a lot of reasons Companies move and most of them have to do with cost. It is unfortunate, but there are a lot of factors that do not allow Companies to operate effectively in parts of the US or even in the whole US and they look offshore. Funny thing, in the end it is the ultimate consumer that is the large factor as they will only support a retail market to a price. Well, that all trickles back and in order to maintain that price point, the actual labor is shipped to a place that makes it affordable.

Not sure what your free quote means. I have moved many a Company to Mississippi and the ones I worked with, their base wages were not signfiicantly less than previous and there was not an issue to fill the jobs, skilled or unskilled. Speaking of MS success stories - Several foreign car companies now call that State home and are doing quite well. One in particular returned a large portion of their incentives to the local schools they were so happy with the location. I am not sure your comments regarding your own Company have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Back to the original point of the thread - I am a law abiding citizen who does not wish to sacrifice my rights for no reason. Specific to my State, I again refer to the 1 homicide by gun in the State and it was a shotgun, not a hand gun, not an automatic weapon, not a rifle.

TD

Thanks for informing me on the subject on your end. You did imply that firearms owners would migrate away from more restrictive states and that wealth moves away as well. You did bring the subject up.

I have read recent statistics that such and such a firearm was used statistically less than hammers in murders. It's still an issue of all types of firearms used carelessly or criminally, and being even legally too available to the mentally ill.
The 2nd does have the "Well regulated militia" statement that entails responsibility that any armed unit has to have and that individuals must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back