"I'm getting out of the hobby".................... (1 Viewer)

My question is how many of the "old timers" on this board, the ones that were completely committed and passionate about collecting 8 to 10 years ago are still that way?
I know I,m not. I think the constant rise in prices the last couple of years, at least for me, have been the main reason. I don,t care what the reason, the average wage earner just can,t sustain that out flow of money. I learned once I said no to buying a set, a figure, a tank, you name it. The sun would still rise in the morning and life would go on even without that "must have piece".
I also learned that after I sold that "I,ll never sell this" piece the rest are easy to sell.
All of you LIFERS, remember, Never Say Never!
Gary

My question is how many of the "old timers" on this board, the ones that were completely committed and passionate about collecting 8 to 10 years ago are still that way?
I know I,m not. I think the constant rise in prices the last couple of years, at least for me, have been the main reason. I don,t care what the reason, the average wage earner just can,t sustain that out flow of money. I learned once I said no to buying a set, a figure, a tank, you name it. The sun would still rise in the morning and life would go on even without that "must have piece".
I also learned that after I sold that "I,ll never sell this" piece the rest are easy to sell.
Gary

On the other hand.....................those of us who gave up on the hobby many years ago - then got married - brought up a family - maybe learned to splash a bit of paint about - and then found CASTINGS - came back to it - worse than ever.{eek3}

By all means take a break, maybe like me - a very long break - but do be warned - that hankering never goes away. Never say never - indeed! johnnybach

At the moment I suspect that you have some floating collectors and I include myself in that category. What I mean by this is that some collectors straddle the two very distinct markets.

I think that once the price for a single foot figure (with simple markings) reaches £65 that will be when I bail out of the higher end market. At the current rate of increase this should be in about eight years for K&C and FL are nearly there already.

Therefore as long as WB, JJD and TGM continue to offer VFM and ranges that interest me I will continue to collect indefinitely, only the pool of manufacturers I collect from will decrease.

Gary

Gary,

I also have almost completely stopped buying new production, in large part because of the rising cost and space limitations, but I found a new way to enjoy the hobby. I now collect out of production cottage industry products (usually purchasing them for substantially less than originally retail). CJB Models, Heco Tinplate Models, Toy Army Workshop, Bengurion Models - they are hard to find, you usually have to go to shows, or get lucky on the internet, so you are lucky to find one item per month. This solves both the expense problem (for example, I usually pay about $50-75 for a Heco WWI aircraft, a good deal less than the present production WWI aircraft) and the space problem (new production items come out in droves every month, whereas I average about 1 Heco/CJB/TAW per month), and frankly, I enjoy the thrill of the chase - talking to other collectors, shop owners, walking the aisles at shows, searching google, ebay and the various other on-line auction houses. I keep myself involved in the hobby at a bargain basement price.:wink2:

At the moment I suspect that you have some floating collectors and I include myself in that category. What I mean by this is that some collectors straddle the two very distinct markets.

I think that once the price for a single foot figure (with simple markings) reaches £65 that will be when I bail out of the higher end market. At the current rate of increase this should be in about eight years for K&C and FL are nearly there already.

Therefore as long as WB, JJD and TGM continue to offer VFM and ranges that interest me I will continue to collect indefinitely, only the pool of manufacturers I collect from will decrease.

I agree the price of figures now days is out of hand with what people are making and that why if I do buying any figures are buy from the EU as it still cheaper than the UK . Just think the hobby in general is pricing people out of it ,I mean £40.00 for a diorama grass mat

As a dealer I have noted some regular collectors go quiet over the years. Sometimes I have known the reasons but in most cases I have not and can only guess. Space would be a major consideration, particularly if they are a vehicle/plane collector, the financial cost and another could be the better half does not approve and she has had enough. Or they simply to get to the point where they say they have enough in their collection.

Whilst some of those collectors stop there are new ones joining the hobby all the time.

I used to say a collector will run out of space
before he runs out of money.
Looks like it's becomming the reverst
Personnally i sold some figures because
of the price of new releases of that serie
I've been collecting since i'm 8 yrs old(buying i should say)
i'm in for life i presume so far.
I admit i'm running out of room but
have cut down on buying, (room no factor)
When i started buying figures i used to get 6 for $125
today u get 2 for $125 because ur short for the 3rd one
Imposible to make dio with multiple figures (12 to 20)
at least for me it is. I find the situation very very sad
This is my point of vue not politic

I echo what most of what people are saying on this thread and at this stage the biggest issue i have are space limitations with my collection. I am hoping to remedy that situation midyear when i move house but it would become a major issue for me to keep collecting if i were to move to another state which i have often thought about doing. I am pretty well much hooked on the hobby and love collecting but i never know what's around the corner and if i find the right lady it could impact on my collecting although i would fight tooth and nail to ensure it doesn't!

Tom

Can't really imagine to get out of the hobby.
My plan is to stay in until they call me to the "Big Toy Soldier Store" above the clouds ^&grin :wink2:

Staying with the hobby doesn't necessarily mean constant purchases. There is lots of stuff to do in the hobby beside buying new figures, vehicles, etc.
Photography, books, diorama building, working/playing with stuff you already have.
And as Louis said, the secondary market, Toy Soldier Shows, classifieds, ebay, all of them do offer a huge variety of Toy Soldiers, and for the collector with open eyes and ears, and a little patience, good deals can be found.

I see it being very hard and challenging for a collector who wants to stay up to date with newly released figures and complete lines, and that is something that I do not even consider anymore.
It was a long process though for me to get to this point. Too often throughout years, the enthusiasm and excitement took over and I "had to have" certain items, only to find out that I went way over my budget, again and again, and then ended up selling that stuff to recover the money I spent.
It's amazing, how a grown up adult can fall in this excitement trap so often. Should know better at my age {eek3}, but I would be surprised if I am the only one who had that happen to him :wink2:

Happy Collecting!

Konrad

I think for most collectors today that might be considering getting out of the hobby or at least cutting back some the main two concerns would be space limitations or finances. I would consider myself to be a "lifer" as far as always being in it to some degree, but the volume of my purchases change from time to time and now I'm about to enter somewhat of a slow down. This is due to the two reasons mentioned.... I'm running out of room and I'm spending more than I should. The rise in costs over the last couple of years has caused concern and I'm very selective now in what I buy. I'll always be interested if the item is something I'm really excited about or have been looking for, etc., but those pieces that I'm on the fence about, I'll most likely be passing on those.

As a dealer I have noted some regular collectors go quiet over the years. Sometimes I have known the reasons but in most cases I have not and can only guess. Space would be a major consideration, particularly if they are a vehicle/plane collector, the financial cost and another could be the better half does not approve and she has had enough. Or they simply to get to the point where they say they have enough in their collection.

Whilst some of those collectors stop there are new ones joining the hobby all the time.

I wonder if that means there are collectors happy to call an end to new additions and leave their collections on display or whether there are ex-collectors with significant collections that they do not know how to sell.

I think it means there are collectors who are happy with what they have and those who lose interest and decide to sell off their collection. I think more of the latter predominate because collecting, by its terms, presumes continuing to collect.

I wonder if that means there are collectors happy to call an end to new additions and leave their collections on display or whether there are ex-collectors with significant collections that they do not know how to sell.

I have moved on from collecting some makers. I have been lucky enough to have sold off a lot of my collection for cost or below to fellow collectors who were very happy to get some great pieces. I just collect a couple of ranges and maybe only a couple of buy's per year.

Why have I given away some of my collecting habits. Just tired of it all. The price hikes ,some of the people in this hobby and the forum's.

You get back what you put into anything and I haven't put much that's positive into this hobby for awhile. So I haven't got much back from it either . We all make changes in our lives at times and it's my time to cut right back.

So happy collecting and see you now and again around the fringes. Chris.

Very interesting to read about others in this topic. I do not think I will get out of this hobby. I played plastic toy soldiers in my childhood. Then moving to build and paint plastic soldiers kits like Historex. Later to start collecting metal toy soldiers and up to now.

I love this toy soldiers world. Though I did not purchase every item for every line say Napoleonic, WWII..etc. After building up a lot and sold some of them after I was tired ot them. So space at the moment is not a problem. I try to limit my purchase and keep my toy soldiers and other related stuff to an acceptable level to myself. This will never leave me using up a huge money on one single line and I can then purchase another new items just like two months ago I started collecting figures for an already out of production company.

I don't agree with you Panzer, if I only collect a few sets here and there and the enjoyment of collecting those few pieces are there, then I don't need tons of cabinets filled to the top to make it a enjoyable hobby, I realized awhile back I don't need to have as much as the next guy to enjoy my collection, but kudos to you for having plenty curios filled up...Sammy

Well........3 curios to be exact. 1 large, 2 Medium, and 1 smaller acrylic display case :rolleyes2: Not so much is important as how much but acqiring the pieces and sets that I really like and want.

I have moved on from collecting some makers. I have been lucky enough to have sold off a lot of my collection for cost or below to fellow collectors who were very happy to get some great pieces. I just collect a couple of ranges and maybe only a couple of buy's per year.

Why have I given away some of my collecting habits. Just tired of it all. The price hikes ,some of the people in this hobby and the forum's.

You get back what you put into anything and I haven't put much that's positive into this hobby for awhile. So I haven't got much back from it either . We all make changes in our lives at times and it's my time to cut right back.

So happy collecting and see you now and again around the fringes. Chris.

I still think that there must be TS collections sitting around that people would sell off if it was convenient. They're digging up Spitfires in Burma, T-34s in Russia, P-38s in Iceland so perhaps there are these great collections sitting in cupboards somewhere.

Its probably not really practical, but I believe, based on my epic 13 months experience{sm4}, that introducing other people to collecting is the best contribution to an increasingly expensive hobby. The more money that's about, the greater the choice and the greater the competition. I was going to confine myself to K&C Napoleonics, but I now have Jenkins Knights of the Sky, Britains Zulus and AWI, some K&C NE, Crimea, ALH, WW1 and a single CS Agincourt figure that looks rather lonely but he will soon have friends. I am starting on Britains Glossy ceremonial for a big display plus a small order of Tommy Atkins on its way soon. I love them all. The only real down side is that I could double my small collection tomorrow and go to the shop the day after and still find something I wanted. My favourite series for value and looks is the Jacobite Rebellion by Jenkins. I haven't bought a single piece (not my area of history) because I just cannot start another range, but gee it looks good.

That is why some of the really negative reactions to some releases are self destructive. People are entitled to state opinions and there is no reason for people to say everything is perfect, but a little more 'Hey, that isn't that company's best work, but have a look at this instead' would help everyone. So...everyone get out there and spend so that my hobby is a little more affordable.

I still think that there must be TS collections sitting around that people would sell off if it was convenient. They're digging up Spitfires in Burma, T-34s in Russia, P-38s in Iceland so perhaps there are these great collections sitting in cupboards somewhere.

Its probably not really practical, but I believe, based on my epic 13 months experience{sm4}, that introducing other people to collecting is the best contribution to an increasingly expensive hobby. The more money that's about, the greater the choice and the greater the competition. I was going to confine myself to K&C Napoleonics, but I now have Jenkins Knights of the Sky, Britains Zulus and AWI, some K&C NE, Crimea, ALH, WW1 and a single CS Agincourt figure that looks rather lonely but he will soon have friends. I am starting on Britains Glossy ceremonial for a big display plus a small order of Tommy Atkins on its way soon. I love them all. The only real down side is that I could double my small collection tomorrow and go to the shop the day after and still find something I wanted. My favourite series for value and looks is the Jacobite Rebellion by Jenkins. I haven't bought a single piece (not my area of history) because I just cannot start another range, but gee it looks good.

That is why some of the really negative reactions to some releases are self destructive. People are entitled to state opinions and there is no reason for people to say everything is perfect, but a little more 'Hey, that isn't that company's best work, but have a look at this instead' would help everyone. So...everyone get out there and spend so that my hobby is a little more

I would hope on a toy soldier forum people could give a honest opinion on a item as for me with no toy soldiers shop around it my only way of finding out what is hot and what is not .Problem with different company not working together even when there 1/30 scale does not help and that why now I only collect K&C ,Figarti and TG and don't forget as Andy has said this forum only reflex a small part of hobby

That is why some of the really negative reactions to some releases are self destructive. People are entitled to state opinions and there is no reason for people to say everything is perfect, but a little more 'Hey, that isn't that company's best work, but have a look at this instead' would help everyone. So...everyone get out there and spend so that my hobby is a little more

I would hope on a toy soldier forum people could give a honest opinion on a item as for me with no toy soldiers shop around it my only way of finding out what is hot and what is not .Problem with different company not working together even when there 1/30 scale does not help and that why now I only collect K&C ,Figarti and TG and don't forget as Andy has said this forum only reflex a small part of hobby

Agreed!

As a painter i just cant se myself getting out of the hobby!..If you are a regular painter you will know what i mean.
You dont paint anything for a few weeks then that urge to paint creeps back in so you look at your stash of unpainted castings.
And say to yourself yea lets do some painting ^&grin......and thats a heck of a lot more fun then watching the crap on TV.
One thing about space if you are running out then drop a scale or two......Dont have room for a 1/30 plane then look at 1/72 they are pretty cool too!

As a painter i just cant se myself getting out of the hobby!..If you are a regular painter you will know what i mean.
You dont paint anything for a few weeks then that urge to paint creeps back in so you look at your stash of unpainted castings.
And say to yourself yea lets do some painting ^&grin......and thats a heck of a lot more fun then watching the crap on TV.
One thing about space if you are running out then drop a scale or two......Dont have room for a 1/30 plane then look at 1/72 they are pretty cool too!

Well I moved up from 1/72 scale to 1/32 scale for better detail and can't see me moving back , the good thing about kC warbird range is it come with loads of figures and transport to make a great diorama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back