K&C Retroactive Price Increases (1 Viewer)

Njja, you said "the prices have nowhere but to go up". I think that this is the point that makes everyone anxious, not really that there will be a price adjustment to previously produced products.

We like (love) K&C, however, see where this is a prelude of things/prices in the future that will not allow us to purchase these fine products. When a figure exceeds $35. I will not buy it. Anyway my two worthless U.S. cents. Larry.

Njja, you said "the prices have nowhere but to go up". I think that this is the point that makes everyone anxious, not really that there will be a price adjustment to previously produced products.

We like (love) K&C, however, see where this is a prelude of things/prices in the future that will not allow us to purchase these fine products. When a figure exceeds $35. I will not buy it. Anyway my two worthless U.S. cents. Larry.

................................................................................

Well Larry unfortunately its just a fact of life. China is an emerging market with low labor costs which proved attractive to many manufacters. As the workers matured they begin to want better hours, benefits, and pay that reflects what other workers earn. All this forces production costs up which end up costing the consumer more.

Companies can look for manufacters in other countries where production cost are lower, but then new relationships must be forged and they must realize in another 5 to 10 years they may be facing similar problems.

As a consumer I would also like the nicest product at the most reasonable price.....but I do realize that most things will continue to go up, before they ever go down again! My first car was a 1969 SS 396/375 Chevelle ordered brand new to my specs for $3650! I don't think I will see that offered to me again at that price!

The good news as pointed out by another poster is that these very production cost increases may once again put American workers back to work producing products for U.S. consumption.

As a consumer we should simply expect the best product for our hard earned money. If it means we buy fewer figures that is up to us.

Hartchier..........
Love your sense of humour. You make my day.
Welcome to the Forum.

Hey just logged back on!! Thank you very much!!! I was just trying to insert a little comic relief and try to move this thing out of brick and bats; but still be able to inject a little constructive criticism along the way. Believe it or not I have never been in a forum or blog ever before. I thought they were like what all the kids do on Face book, You Tube, etc. I must say that this is actually awesome, if not also addicting. Like I need another addiction...toy soldiers has covered that topic!! There are some highly knowledgeable collectors, veteran's and history buffs here. Again thanks for the welcome.

My wife told me I cannot play all night on here again tonight!!!:(

Not even getting into the price increase discussion, but here is my 2 cents:rolleyes::eek:

What if Andy had said, as you know, all new prices are going up, therefore, over the next several months, I will be retiring the following 350 items at 50 a month until stock is gone............... Would that have changed any opinions?

And by the way, i am not a big fan of these increases, I do understand if he is running new product, it has higher costs. I don't understand why old stock incurs a price increase.

Also, some ponderings............how does a SOHK Bench go from $6 to $9 (50% cost increase). That piece needs an update!!!!!!!!!! (HK 46).

Tom:D:p:rolleyes:

For me personally it is of absolutely no consequence.
I have been lucky to have built a career in life that allows me to afford my lines. Sometimes its a little close. These last two years caused great re-structuring and lowering of overhead in my business. Labor and material increases could not be transferred to my clients. If so no work...why? no one else was doing it....and bidding for cost and wages...just to survive. So again, it had to absorbed and overhead had to be lessened...every possible cut or go under. I never had to let so many people go in my whole life from work than in the last two years. It has been a heart breaker like no other.

But so far I have everything to date in all of lines I collect. I might add club; show; promo's, etc.

My support is under the lines of everyone is entitled to their opinion....and support mostly for the guys that are having to drop out or drop lines they collect due to finances.

Heck, maybe we should go to China there economy is rising steadily at 10% a year.

Not even getting into the price increase discussion, but here is my 2 cents:rolleyes::eek:

What if Andy had said, as you know, all new prices are going up, therefore, over the next several months, I will be retiring the following 350 items at 50 a month until stock is gone............... Would that have changed any opinions?

And by the way, i am not a big fan of these increases, I do understand if he is running new product, it has higher costs. I don't understand why old stock incurs a price increase. Also, some ponderings............how does a SOHK Bench go from $6 to $9 (50% cost increase). That piece needs an update!!!!!!!!!! (HK 46).

Tom:D:p:rolleyes:

What I don't understand is how the figures have been selling and making a profit for all of these years and now they are not? Tony said the Churchill figures sells for £21.95 and they sold 57 in October but it will go upto £31.95 in January. That would be a £570 difference and only one figure. Thats a lot of money for a company to absorb.

What I don't understand is how the figures have been selling and making a profit for all of these years and now they are not? Tony said the Churchill figures sells for £21.95 and they sold 57 in October but it will go upto £31.95 in January. That would be a £570 difference and only one figure. Thats a lot of money for a company to absorb.

Scott, I totally understand that if the factory charges more, than the cost goes up, no issue there. This is regardless of whether it is a new figure or an old figure remade.

I was only pointing out, how does "store stock" that was run under the old cost structure go up too.

That said, the main point of my post is would everyone be upset if it all just retired over the next 6 months and that was that. I think there would be no issue if it was handled that way. NOW, it is not my business and a lot of the older issues may still be big sellers and vital sellers to each line, that I don't know. Therfore, they should still be current line production if it were my business to run.

I don't know the answer, just posing a pondering.

The price of making more of these keeps going up.They cost a lot more to make now than the original first run did.
Mark

The price of making more of these keeps going up.They cost a lot more to make now than the original first run did.
Mark

Exactly but they are still being made & sold (and profit is being made other wise they would have put the prices up long ago)

Thank you again and lest us not forget WWI Canadians whom distinguished themselves at the battles of the Somme and Verdun.

Exactly but they are still being made & sold (and profit is being made other wise they would have put the prices up long ago)

Or any profit margin on the older figures is now so wafer thin, that it's just not financially viable to produce them at the old costs?

As for putting up prices on the older stock year by year, K&C have stated on several occasions that they did not want to do that. I guess the increase in labour and material costs has exceeded the pace of the retirement programme, therefore, retirement or price increase are the only viable options left.

With the greatest of respect should we not make statements like this unless we know what they actually cost to make and what price rises have actually taken place. When we read about price rises it could range from mere pennies to thousands and anything and everything in between.

We are told its more expensive but, we do not know enough to support or deny that statement and thats the problem for many
Mitch

Mark

Its almost as if you were heaven sent with your posts????
Mitch

For me personally it is of absolutely no consequence.
I have been lucky to have built a career in life that allows me to afford my lines. Sometimes its a little close. These last two years caused great re-structuring and lowering of overhead in my business. Labor and material increases could not be transferred to my clients. If so no work...why? no one else was doing it....and bidding for cost and wages...just to survive. So again, it had to absorbed and overhead had to be lessened...every possible cut or go under. I never had to let so many people go in my whole life from work than in the last two years. It has been a heart breaker like no other.

But so far I have everything to date in all of lines I collect. I might add club; show; promo's, etc.

My support is under the lines of everyone is entitled to their opinion....and support mostly for the guys that are having to drop out or drop lines they collect due to finances.

Heck, maybe we should go to China there economy is rising steadily at 10% a year.

I think there has been enough coverage over the last couple of years, both in the media, and from the manufacturers themselves to be happy that labour and material prices have risen significantly. I can't imagine any manufacturer coming out with a detailed cost breakdown per item.

They sure did a good job at Vimy Ridge, well worth a visit should any of you guys ever be in the area.

Rob

HI Mitch,

You and me have emailed each other quite often recently and I’m sure from your input on the Forum you have read many of my detailed replies.

Still however you are unconvinced that the rise in costs in working in China are very substantial.

You say the rises might be pennies or thousands or… all points in between.

Well, for the record, I can tell you it’s a lot closer to thousands than “pennies”.

You are correct on one major point however “you do not know enough about the real situation”. And, alas, so do a few other folks… Why? Because they don’t run a business manufacturing in China… pure and simple.

Also, ponder on this… would I or K&C put ourselves through all this “firestorm” of criticism for just a few pennies…?

Answers on a postcard please…

Best wishes and happy collecting, criticizing or whatever…
Andy C.

They sure did a good job at Vimy Ridge, well worth a visit should any of you guys ever be in the area.

Rob
No doubt of this, Rob. By that time of the war, the Canadians were considered among the Empire's best troops. The Canadians and the Anzac's were the shock troops of the British Army for the last several months of the war. Cost them dearly. -- Al

Andy...

Your quite right we have although I have read everything that has been written this was not a dig or whatever in relation to the issues that have been ongoing just a simple statement of fact that we do not know the amounts involved to make comments about what they actually are as Marco did.

Its not a case of being unconvinced I am sure they have risen its just none of us (apart from manufacturers) are in the position to state how much they have gone up. I think most of my responses over the last few days have been pretty clear and was just stating that was the case. My remark about pennies was also not as flippent as you seem to think.

I was told when growing up to look after the pennies and, well you know the adage so, if you make thousands and thousands of items which, say increase by pennies then this will be a significant amount at the end of a year to lose.

As for the firestorm I don't really know if it is as this is too small of a platform to judge what will happen on a wider scale and, I think most of this was as I said when Randy posted the price increases that it would have not been as bad had you yourself dispatched the news on your site and then on here.

Always nice speaking with you and hope this clarifies my comments
Mitch

HI Mitch,

You and me have emailed each other quite often recently and I’m sure from your input on the Forum you have read many of my detailed replies.

Still however you are unconvinced that the rise in costs in working in China are very substantial.

You say the rises might be pennies or thousands or… all points in between.

Well, for the record, I can tell you it’s a lot closer to thousands than “pennies”.

You are correct on one major point however “you do not know enough about the real situation”. And, alas, so do a few other folks… Why? Because they don’t run a business manufacturing in China… pure and simple.

Also, ponder on this… would I or K&C put ourselves through all this “firestorm” of criticism for just a few pennies…?

Answers on a postcard please…

Best wishes and happy collecting, criticizing or whatever…
Andy C.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back