King & Country book (1 Viewer)

It would be Great to hear from Andy on this matter!

Njja

DVD & book combo seems a good way to go however DVD's are not indestructable (what if one got damaged? would render the book almost useless).
I still think though the book needs to be published with pictures to keep it's integrity. Means you can't really use the book to it's fullist if you don't happen to be at a computer. I think it would be a pain to try and read the book and then look at the computer for the corresponding photograph. I have sheets of pictures of some toy soldiers and the description/info are on seperate sheets, ticks me off when I am trying to reference them flipping back and forth :(

There has to be a way somhow, somewhere, someone should be able to do this.

If you think of the number of products, the text and pictures must go together. Otherwise, could you just say this photo is FJ......number what?

Attachments

• IMG_4547red1.jpg
    IMG_4547red1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 229
Guys, we looked at just about all these options, several more than once (Treefrog was the other sponsor--Treefrog and the Nevilles, working together once again) and just kept running into walls. We looked at print on demand state-side and were warned by a colleague in the printing business that books printed this way are nothing more than glorified color copies--what would the long-term outcome on quality be for that? We looked stateside, in the UK and various places in Asia (where costs would have been cheapest) for publishers that could give us a workable solution to no avail. Norm Joplin's publisher is not an option because they deal solely with antique-type collectibles and so the K&C line is out of their time frame.
We had a person here in the states ready in the wings for editing and formatting but in the end it didn't matter because there was no feasible solution.
The way the manuscript is written and the photos are set up this project lent itself to a nice glossy coffeetable book. When that wasn't feasible we tried the dvd/pocket guide combo route. Also not feasible.
In the end we had to tell Louis if he wanted to make a profit on this book the only way to do it would be to take orders directly. We wish him the best and hope a solution presents itself.
Regards,

"It would be Great to hear from Andy on this matter!" How so? Andy is not involved with the book, Louis is the one who wrote it, he and three other collectors are involved with it and Treefrog and K & C Uk are the sponsors.

Other than the company being his, Andy is not involved, perhaps someday he will write a book himself; last time I checked, he was rather busy at the moment producing the finest toy soldiers on the planet.................

George,

Going have to disagree with you on this one. This book is about King and Country. That involves Andy. I too would like to hear from him about the matter.

As a point of fact, the sponsors look to be the former sponsors at this point.

Hi Guys,

Just a question. Once the publishing route was exhausted did you consider building a website that was solely for this information? It would certainly allow for good color photos of the various sets and should have a lot of room for text. You could make it a member site and charge a small fee to use the site IOT off set the cost of maintaining a website. Anyway just a thought.

All the best

Dave

Hi Guys,

Just a question. Once the publishing route was exhausted did you consider building a website that was solely for this information? It would certainly allow for good color photos of the various sets and should have a lot of room for text. You could make it a member site and charge a small fee to use the site IOT off set the cost of maintaining a website. Anyway just a thought.

All the best

Dave

I wonder if this would be the best option?

Dave

Check!

looked at that as well. Agree that NOT everyone will have computer access to view sucha thing thus limiting the readership.

This as Louis mentioned was offered as TF and ourselves looked at putting it onto TSTV or the TF site. But agreed taht we could develop a seperate site easier.

I agree with Shannon for the team that have developed the book. The best option is to print on demand or even have some form of subscription. This has been pointed out to the book team.

Louis or kevin could set up a private PAYPAL account you send your order then you get a CDrom (playable on most multi media players) with the book on with a nice printed case cover. Signed by Louis. and then you get 2 - 3 DVDs burnt from Kevin either sold seperate or as a pack.

Re the IT issues and not all having the ability!! Well i dont know about the States but in the UK nearly everyone has a DVD player even my good old Grandad at the age of 84 when he died had a DVD player! My kids have them in their rooms as well as on their laptops my wife has one on her laptop and we have three in house! (lounge/ media room and bedroom)

The book would be best done in this format burnt to order and then can be played in multi player format. PC/ DVD player/ PS2/ PS3 / direct TV DVD play/ In car player!!

ANY kind of book, paper, glossy, hard or soft cover is going to cost more money than a disc can be developed for.

Unfortuantly Brad you are correct that we WERE the proposed sponsors. However the cost of the devlopment against ANY potential return was not there even a break even! So both parties still 100% support the book team, and i am advising Louis behind the scenes as much as i can. However our primary business is bringing toysoldiers to the world and that is where we have to concentrate our efforts. Both K&C UK and TF have invested heavily in properties and other activities around the toysoldier world in the last 12 months.

Tony

Last edited:
Guys,

The Nevilles and the Reusses really made a first rate effort to bring the book to market, and those of us involved are really thankful. The information they imparted about costs and ways to cut costs is being studied by us in an attempt to find a cheaper means of producing the book. If we are able to find a way to get the book done, it will have to be on a shoe string budget. We may end up just going with a website with a small subscription fee (primarily to re-pay Kevin for the outlay he made to do the photography), or a nicely done book for the text only, with an attached DVD with the photographs identified by set number.

Well thanks to the efforts of Tom Dubel, the book has been sent of to a publisher friend of his, who specializes in small runs, for review. We will have to see what the publisher thinks, but the book still has a pulse, albeit slight.

Seriously, if anyone ever needs anything on any subject, just call me, I am bound to know someone........the world is smaller than you think, isn't it funny that way?

TD

Well thanks to the efforts of Tom Dubel, the book has been sent of to a publisher friend of his, who specializes in small runs, for review. We will have to see what the publisher thinks, but the book still has a pulse, albeit slight.

HHHUUURRRAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S HOPE HIS FRIEND CAN COME THROUGH FOR US, I REALLY DO WANT TO SEE THIS BOOK PUBLISHED IN SOME KIND OF FORM, EVEN IF IT COSTS SOMETHING UP FRONT...SAMMY

Louis, Is There Any New Word On The Book Or From The New Publisher About The Book Deal?? Sammy

Sammy,

I got an e-mail confirming he received the text, and would be reviewing it this week. Lets keep our hopes up, and see what happens.

Louis instead of a book what about a thick magazine like the Collector issues for each series. You can have a WS, AK, DD and FJ series magazines. The magazines themselves will become collectibles also.

Louis instead of a book what about a thick magazine like the Collector issues for each series. You can have a WS, AK, DD and FJ series magazines. The magazines themselves will become collectibles also.

Alex, if any magazine publisher wants to publish the book as a magazine, perhaps with issues divided up by year of production, line of product or by subject, I would be happy to cooperate with them. If you know of such a publisher, please don't hesitate to put us in touch.

Hi Louis, any more information on the book?? I was curious if you had heard back from TDUBEL friend about the publishing part?? hate to keep bringing this topic up again and again but I really would like something to come about on your book, it would be so great to actually have reference to different years of releases instead of trying to hunt them down on the computer,thanks for any info.....sammy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back