KING & COUNTRY Dispatches -- February 2018 (1 Viewer)

How about some German cavalry to oppose them

Or a Polish Taczanka - Troika with 3 horses abreast and a Browning MG. 4 man crew

taczanka.gif

Taczanki_PIC_1-P-2965-18.jpg

PICT3543.JPG.jpg

72222_000.jpg

Terry

Last edited:
The IDF radio operator is excellent -- one of my favorites from the series. He works excellently with Dayan.

I also love the Polish cav. I would love to get them, but I really don't know much about the period. Can anyone recommend German figures for them to attack?

Napoleon1er,

These Wehrmacht figures would be the perfect fit. Stay away from SS figures wearing camo Dot 44 uniforms.
Most of the smocks / camo came along well after the invasion of Poland in 1939.

Wayne

Attachments

• WH043.jpg
    WH043.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 414
I had never heard of a Taczanka. I don't think I'd want to fight in one, though.

I had never heard of a Taczanka. I don't think I'd want to fight in one, though.

I think invented in Ukraine. Widely used by Russia and Poland to give heavy fire support to cavalry units. They could keep up with the cavalry even off road. Sort of like SPG keeping up with the tanks in Panzer Divisions. Every Polish cavalry regiment had them. The Russians used them to late in WWII and they were used extensively in WWI and the 1917 Revolution. Can't have a cavalry unit without one :salute::

Standard OOB for a Polish Cavalry Regiment in 1939 included 900 men, 13 Taczanka, 36 Bicycles, 108 lances and 12 Anti-tank rifles. At the Brigade level there were 12 75mm field guns, 8 armoured cars and 13 TK5 Tanks.

Terry

Last edited:
I wonder if any more Folgore are in the pipeline after this months few ? From the London show there are more Ramcke figures yet to come, and seemingly Ramcke himself...I also remember reading on here that a Gran Sasso raid was due to come out ( perhaps complementing the excellent Skorzeny figure ) , maybe Andy changed tack slightly and went for Ramcke para's instead ?

The IDF radio operator is excellent -- one of my favorites from the series. He works excellently with Dayan.

I just took a look at the earlier group, and yes the radio operator is sharp looking. Thanks for the heads up. I also like the Officer with Uzi, and from the new group Para Pointing. I've got options.

Joe

I just took a look at the earlier group, and yes the radio operator is sharp looking. Thanks for the heads up. I also like the Officer with Uzi, and from the new group Para Pointing. I've got options.

Joe

It is one of the best series going, each figure is interchangeable with the others and creating a scene with them is full of never-ending possibilities.

I currently have them on patrol amongst some of my Israeli militaria. They look great peaking around the side of a helmet.

I wonder why some polish flags are violet!....Did they finish the red colour at the factory??

800px-Ulani_RB2.jpg

There were 27 regiments of lancers, 10 of mounted rifles and 3 of light horse. Each regiment had its own lance pennant which was also worn in miniature as a collar patch. The K&C model pennants are of the 1st Uhlan Lancers which is Polish Crimson over White. Polish Crimson is a shade of Pink.

I can't tell if the lancers are wearing a Polish Crimson over White collar patch. But note the officer's hat band is also Polish Crimson.

The photo Popo used is white over red - I don't know off hand which regiment that represents. I believe White over Red was an old traditional Polish Lancer colour but I don't think any regiment still used it in 1939. So the re-enactors in Popo photo may not be of any specific regiment.

There was also a pennant for the cavalry arm as a whole which was Polish Crimson over Dark Blue. I don't know what the K&C figure with the white over red pennant with the Polish double eagle represents - probably a National pennant using the traditional White over Red from the Napoleonic Wars?.

attachment.php

Terry

Last edited:
Yes, it was 'Ronin' where the retired guy was painting some figures for his castle display. One of my favourite movies, partly because of the car chases, cars being another of my many interests.

That scene was what made me start looking into toy soldiers again. I stumbled on Frontline and then K&C.

I'd love to see a picture of that. I like TS among books, militaria, and other things.

Joe

I will try to snap a pic. I'm currently using the Israeli 1973 helmet (pretty much the same as the 1967 model) I had on display as a bicycle helmet, so I would need to put in back....

I also love TS among ephemera. I should set up a couple photos of that, as I also collect antiques and militaria.

I will try to snap a pic. I'm currently using the Israeli 1973 helmet (pretty much the same as the 1967 model) I had on display as a bicycle helmet, so I would need to put in back....

I also love TS among ephemera. I should set up a couple photos of that, as I also collect antiques and militaria.

Sounds like a heavy and cold thing to use in Winter, but on the plus side I'd guess it'll give anyone more confidence in the protection than some bit of plastic !

Steve

That scene was what made me start looking into toy soldiers again. I stumbled on Frontline and then K&C.

That's my favourite scene, after the car chase scenes of course. I first became interested in Japan, Samurais and Ninjas etc back in the 1960's when the Japanese TV series 'The Samurai' was a huge hit in Australia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Samurai_(TV_series). This was back in the day when many of my childhood friends had fathers that served in the Pacific theatre during WW2, I guess they wondered why their kids were interested in 'Japanese stuff'. The series included a number of Japanese Castle scenes and numerous Samurai versus Ninjas fights, but some Ninjas were apparently 'goodies' :wink2:

The Samurai, popularity in Australia.

Wiki...Reception

Presumably responding to the increasing interest in Japan that accompanied the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, a few episodes of The Samurai were screened by Channel 9, Sydney in early 1964. After this first screening Channel 9 took the unprecedented step of inviting viewers to write in if they wanted to see more; the result was one of the largest viewer responses in the station's history, with thousands of letters sent in requesting more episodes. The entire series was shown, though the storylines were presented out of their original sequence as shown in Japan, which denied the Australian audience the intended effect of a mysterious, open-ended conclusion to the show. By 1965 it was the TV hit of the year, becoming the most popular programme in TCN-9's history up to that time, surpassing even The Mickey Mouse Club and sparking the first wave of ninja-mania outside Japan. The level of popularity it attained is remarkable given there was still much resentment of Japan in Australia at the time, although it may be explained by the fact that most of the fans were children and teenagers. The program proved so popular that a promoter brought out star Ose Koichi and a large supporting troupe to appear in a specially written 90-minute stage play based on the show, which played to capacity houses in both at the Sydney Stadium[2] and Melbourne, and it was reported that more people (over 7,000, many of them in costume) turned out to greet Ose when he arrived at Essendon Airport in Melbourne than greeted The Beatles when they visited there in June 1964.[3]

The success of The Samurai led Sydney TV channel ATN-7 to screen Phantom Agents (Ninja Butai Gekkō), another ninja-themed TV series but set in the 1960s Japan, which then developed its own cult following. Novelist Ruth Manley took names, even characters and incidents from the show and recast and wove them into her three children's novels based on Japanese myths and folklore, The Plum Rain Scroll (1978), The Dragon Stone (1982) and The Peony Lantern (1987). In 2009 SBS One broadcast a TV documentary titled Shintaro! The Samurai Sensation That Swept a Nation that reviewed the Australian impact of the show and then was itself released on DVD in 2010.[3]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back