Knights of the Sky (6 Viewers)

Anybody gt their hands on the white Fokker D-7 yet? Opinions/reviews? My dealer has gotten them in but I'm still 2 weeks out from purchase.:( -- Al

I got the D.VII today and it is a beauty. The best so far. It is heavier and bigger than the previous planes. Can't recommend this one highly enough. If you only buy one of John's planes this has to be it.:p

007-2.jpg

009.jpg

006-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

Congrats. Thanks for the photos. I hope to add one eventually! I already have 3 of John's.

I got the D.VII today and it is a beauty. The best so far. It is heavier and bigger than the previous planes. Can't recommend this one highly enough. If you only buy one of John's planes this has to be it.:p

007-2.jpg

009.jpg

006-2.jpg

005-3.jpg
Thanks for posting the pictures. It really is a striking looking aircraft. The detail looks accurate. Will be ordering one tomorrow. -- Al

I have several JJD WWI aircraft and this latest addition is quite impressive. However, the color scheme (or lack of) leaves me cold. I know it's a historical representation but part of what I find so interesting in these aircraft is the limitless possibilities of the individual paint choices. Just my opinion and congrats on a nice looking model. Chris

Sure did. Got the Voss Albatros yesterday. Put a short review in the KC section under The Albatros have Landed thread. Overall, I was very impressed with it, but I prefer the JJD aircraft because of several factors I didn't want to get into on the KC board. -- Al

Al,

Can you tell me if your Albatros came with a numbered collector's card, as the case with strictly limited pieces? I received my Red Baron today, and searched for the card, to no avail?

Thanks, Ollie.

Al,

Can you tell me if your Albatros came with a numbered collector's card, as the case with strictly limited pieces? I received my Red Baron today, and searched for the card, to no avail?

Thanks, Ollie.
Ollie, I don't recall seeing a card with an SL number, but I wasn't looking for it, either. I will dig out the box and check in the AM and give a more definitive answer then. -- Al

Ollie, I don't recall seeing a card with an SL number, but I wasn't looking for it, either. I will dig out the box and check in the AM and give a more definitive answer then. -- Al
Ollie, there is no numbered card. The Albatros were not designated as an SL production. I gave a more detailed answer in the Albatros thread you started in the KC section. -- Al

Thanks for posting the pictures. It really is a striking looking aircraft. The detail looks accurate. Will be ordering one tomorrow. -- Al
This beast is due at my aerodrome on Monday. It is a very impressive looking Fokker D-VII model but I have one caveat on close examination of the photos posted by Combat. It looks like the landing gear is a bit off, both in strut length and front strut position. Will wait on a hands-on exam for a final opinion. Still, the all white finish is rather impressive and I look forward to getting it. -- Al

From what I understand, the airplanes are not limited edition productions. I am pleased about that since I had the war department freze my funding next year. At least I got all my flood damage and preventive measures complete.

Now to get everything put back into the room. I have guests coming over a week from tomorrow.

Matthew

From what I understand, the airplanes are not limited edition productions. I am pleased about that since I had the war department freze my funding next year. At least I got all my flood damage and preventive measures complete.

Now to get everything put back into the room. I have guests coming over a week from tomorrow.

Matthew

Matthew,

What I understand from my resident expert collector/dealer, who knows John Jenkins personally, (in fact Mr. Jenkins is planning on dropping into his shop in November), it is true that Mr. Jenkins produces an undisclosed number of a given piece; however his productions runs are exclusive in nature, still released on the premise of an untold number; which is a misnomer.
He advised me that none of J. Jenkins pieces are mass-produced, and if you find a piece you like, to, "strike while the iron's hot," due to the fickle nature of collectors and elasticity in the market, whereas you may encounter difficulty acquiring said piece.

Ollie_D.

Matthew,

What I understand from my resident expert collector/dealer, who knows John Jenkins personally, (in fact Mr. Jenkins is planning on dropping into his shop in November), it is true that Mr. Jenkins produces an undisclosed number of a given piece; however his productions runs are exclusive in nature, still released on the premise of an untold number; which is a misnomer.
He advised me that none of J. Jenkins pieces are mass-produced, and if you find a piece you like, to, "strike while the iron's hot," due to the fickle nature of collectors and elasticity in the market, whereas you may encounter difficulty acquiring said piece.

Ollie_D.

Hi Ollie, There is some truth in what your dealer says. But he is painting a very broad spectrum along the entire JJD ranges. John is happy to reply to anyone who writes him. The last time he replied to me I asked about the limited series of the airplanes. He said he did not want to make a limited series on these as he was not sure how well they would sell. If they did well, then placing them with a limited number of production runs forces his hand to retire them. This way he is free to do what he feels the market can handle.

On the reverse side of that is the FIW sets for the Virginia Militia. They we suppose to be 750 sets when they came out, he changed them to 500 limited sets and retired them. I am not sure if they sold very well. You see massive set ups of British sets from that range, and they are even smaller runs. So where are all of the Virginians? I know I only have three sets.

I think the statement that your dealer gives can be applied to any company that produces toy soldiers. John's just moved his sets into the same category as K&C and other companies with regards to no longer forcing a series to retire, but rather let the public decide. I think Thomas Gunn is the only company that still does limited runs on their sets.

So yes, if you see something you like, and can afford it, buy it. I would be more worried about the price going up before the set is retired theses days.

Respectfully,

Matthew

This beast is due at my aerodrome on Monday. It is a very impressive looking Fokker D-VII model but I have one caveat on close examination of the photos posted by Combat. It looks like the landing gear is a bit off, both in strut length and front strut position. Will wait on a hands-on exam for a final opinion. Still, the all white finish is rather impressive and I look forward to getting it. -- Al
The JJD D-VII made it's landing today and I must say it is as impressive in hand as it is in all the pictures. It has the JJD weathering that makes the JJD aircraft so special. In fact, the pictures of the plane make it look whiter than it actually is. The upper surfaces are a subtle off-white while the undersurfaces are quite tanned with weathering, not white at all. This plane is not a blinding white but is quite toned down, as any such aircraft would be after use. I have examined the plane and the accuracy appears to be very good with the correct engine panels, which given the large amount of different panels that were used, points to good research. The only real criticism I can level is at the landing gear. On examination, the rear struts on the gear are a tad too long, while the front struts should meet the long wing-to-engine panel strut at the same point. It does not, being about 1/16" too far to the rear. These slight errors result in the D-VII sitting just a little high, but not enough to really sweat over. The plane just looks great. The cockpit detail and MG detail are really quite good, too. This D-VII is a very nice model and is certainly far superior to the other large D-VII (1/32 scale) kit that Revell produced some years back. Happy to have this one.{bravo}} -- Al

Hi Al,

Just take a file to those long struts, what could happen?{eek3} :)

I've very pleased to hear that the plane is not as bright white as the pictures show. I'm sure it must have been very hard to capture the subtle shades and weathering the plane has in a photo.

I wonder if John is going to do any early war planes? I seem to recall that the British had a push prop plane, used mainly for recon. The pilot had a complete view of what was in front. I wish I could remember what it was called. I thought it looked kind of neat.

Matthew

Hi Al,

Just take a file to those long struts, what could happen?{eek3} :)

I've very pleased to hear that the plane is not as bright white as the pictures show. I'm sure it must have been very hard to capture the subtle shades and weathering the plane has in a photo.

I wonder if John is going to do any early war planes? I seem to recall that the British had a push prop plane, used mainly for recon. The pilot had a complete view of what was in front. I wish I could remember what it was called. I thought it looked kind of neat.

Matthew
Hi Matthew. A file, hmm? With my skill level I would end up with the first dwarf Fokker in history. The British had several different pusher type aircraft in use in 1915 thru early 1917. There was the DH-2 and FE-8, which were fighter aircraft. I think McCudden flew a DH-2 at some point and I know that Maj. Lanoe Hawker flew one to great effect before being KIA in one by von Richthofen in 1916. There was also a famous 2-seater recon/bomber called FE-2b. It was in use a long time after it became obsolete because it was so effective at it's job. Later in the war it became a night bomber. Th FE-2b was no easy mark as several German aces fell to the Fee's ( it's nickname) guns while attacking them during the course of their service. Immelmann was KIA attacking one and von Richthofen was shot down and seriously wounded while doing the same. The pusher aircraft were used prior to the introduction of interrupter gear, so Mg's could fire forward without having to shoot thru the prop. -- Al

Thanks for the info Al. Good stuff. So after reading your post I think John should do one of these planes. If I recall some of them were whicker baskets (or style of) for the front seats. Do you have any pictures of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back